OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:27:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic chalice seals relationship between 'Georgia' Baptists  (Read 1932 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 09, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

ATLANTA (ABP) – A friendship between the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Georgia and Baptists in the Caucasus Republic of Georgia that began with the coincidence of being “Georgians” grew deeper with return of a long-lost communion chalice that carries deep historical and theological significance for descendants of Baptists who suffered persecution at the hands of Soviet communism.

In 1946, Louie Newton, president of the Southern Baptist Convention and pastor of Druid Hills Baptist Church in Atlanta, [Georgia,] visited Russia on a five-week tour at the invitation of Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin to meet with leaders of the Union of Evangelical Christians-Baptists of Russia and investigate the status of its 2 million Baptists.

After his final sermon at First Baptist Church in Moscow, Newton was presented with a 19th-century gold-plated Florentine chalice that had been used in observance of the Lord’s Supper by an overflow congregation. Treasured by Newton, one religious newspaper labeled it “a holy grail of peace.”

Dating from 1868, the chalice had previously been used in observance of the Lord’s Supper at the church in Tiblisi, Georgia. In 1928 a Georgian minister was called to pastor the First Baptist Church in Moscow, the largest Baptist church in the Soviet Union, and the Baptists of Tbilisi asked him to accept the chalice as a symbol of fellowship.

Nobody living today in the Republic of Georgia knew of the chalice’s existence until Baptist Archbishop Malkhaz Songulashvili from Tbilisi [Georgian Baptists have bishops???!!!], while researching for a Ph.D. at Oxford University, came across records of the 1946 meeting between Newton and both religious and political leaders of the U.S.S.R.

Songulashvili contacted friends in the United States to ask about Newton’s archival materials....

Susan Broome, associate director for technical services at Mercer University in Macon, Ga., had befriended Songulashvili along with her husband, Frank, head of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Georgia....

Broome recalled a vague memory of a little-used room in Mercer’s chapel that was named after Newton. The next day she went there, turned the doorknob, found it unlocked, turned on the light and found the chalice right in front of her as a centerpiece of a display of photos, documents and other objects that belonged to Newton.

Last year Songulashvili attended the Georgia CBF meeting to celebrate discovery of the chalice, symbolic both because of Georgian Baptists highly liturgical worship tradition and memory of Baptist predecessors who used the cup at risk of persecution.
Mercer University turned possession of the chalice over to Songulashvili in a special Eucharist service Nov. 3. It was centerpiece of a worship service that opened the Georgia CBF annual meeting Nov. 6. After several stops, including a Eucharist at Duke Divinity School, the chalice will arrive in Georgia in time for Maundy Thursday next year.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »

Baptist Archbishop Malkhaz Songulashvili from Tbilisi [Georgian Baptists have bishops???!!!],

I met him a few times. He is responsible for the orthodoxification of the Baptist church in Georgia (to make them more legit in the eyes of the Orthodox majority). He and the other (male) bishops wear black robes, a panagia or pectoral cross, and have enormous beards.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »

Baptist Archbishop Malkhaz Songulashvili from Tbilisi [Georgian Baptists have bishops???!!!],

I met him a few times. He is responsible for the orthodoxification of the Baptist church in Georgia (to make them more legit in the eyes of the Orthodox majority). He and the other (male) bishops wear black robes, a panagia or pectoral cross, and have enormous beards.
Who ordained him a bishop?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »

Ah, there's the rub.  Wink
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:15:04 AM »

I'm not sure, but the Baptist church in Georgia has quite a long and complicated history. When the Georgian Church was forcefully subordinated to the Patriarchate of Moscow, the alternative for many who resisted was the Baptist church, rather than an Orthodox resistance group a la ROCOR. Thus, it should be seen more as a social organisation than one defined by its adherence to Baptis theology or practice, as is exemplified by the beards, robes, iconography, liturgy, episcopacy, etc. In essence they're extreme ecumenists - they incorporate a little bit of everything.

'Bishop' Malkhaz (holding the mic) with the other 'bishops' from their church in Tbilisi. Lovely people if nothing else:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:22:35 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »

There are other Protestant groups who have 'bishops'. It is, after all, in one sense, a designation of a particular pastoral and leadership ministry. In terms of simply using the word it doesn't have to be associated with the Apostolic Succession.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »

Seems like LARP'ers to me.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »

....but, there seems to be a woman bishop, not just men.  Not quite emulating Orthodoxy.

Besides, I fear she'll have a hard time growing a beard.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »

....but, there seems to be a woman bishop, not just men.  Not quite emulating Orthodoxy.

Besides, I fear she'll have a hard time growing a beard.

I think I see a Black guy in the background. I take it he's not a native Caucasian? Roll Eyes

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »

I'm not sure, but the Baptist church in Georgia has quite a long and complicated history. When the Georgian Church was forcefully subordinated to the Patriarchate of Moscow, the alternative for many who resisted was the Baptist church, rather than an Orthodox resistance group a la ROCOR. Thus, it should be seen more as a social organisation than one defined by its adherence to Baptis theology or practice, as is exemplified by the beards, robes, iconography, liturgy, episcopacy, etc. In essence they're extreme ecumenists - they incorporate a little bit of everything.

'Bishop' Malkhaz (holding the mic) with the other 'bishops' from their church in Tbilisi. Lovely people if nothing else:

wow, those guys are baptists???  Shocked
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »

There are other Protestant groups who have 'bishops'. It is, after all, in one sense, a designation of a particular pastoral and leadership ministry. In terms of simply using the word it doesn't have to be associated with the Apostolic Succession.
"Baba, these people use the same words but they do not mean the same thing"-comment by my then 10 year old (now 14) in the Mormon Church's museum.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

"Baba, these people use the same words but they do not mean the same thing"-comment by my then 10 year old (now 14) in the Mormon Church's museum.
Smart kid Smiley

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »

Like I said, 'baptist' in Georgia basically means 'ecumenical mishmash'. It has little to do with the doctrines and forms of other baptist groups.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

Smart kid Smiley
Yes.  His younger brother, when he saw that the curtains were drawn in the windows of the temple and the doors locked, asked "Baba, what are they hiding?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:02:36 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »

Like I said, 'baptist' in Georgia basically means 'ecumenical mishmash'. It has little to do with the doctrines and forms of other baptist groups.

how funny...
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »

Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

This sickens me. Sad

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 11:34:08 PM »

can I ask an off tangent  cultural question here pls? in the chapel I see a lot of grass and flowers on the floors. is this a cultural tradition in Georgia? I ask this because this is the first time ever I have seen grass and flowers spread on the floor other than in Ethiopian custom. I obviously get excited and am fascinated by cultural stuff. so if someone would care to tell me I  would appreciate it. Thank you angel

@ Isa, I would say like father like son  Grin  Many years!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 05:53:36 AM »

can I ask an off tangent  cultural question here pls? in the chapel I see a lot of grass and flowers on the floors. is this a cultural tradition in Georgia? I ask this because this is the first time ever I have seen grass and flowers spread on the floor other than in Ethiopian custom. I obviously get excited and am fascinated by cultural stuff. so if someone would care to tell me I  would appreciate it. Thank you angel

When I visited the floor was clean. It must have been because of some feast. Among the Eastern Orthodox there are various times of the year at which flowers are thrown around the church. In some Slavic churches the floor is often covered in hay during Christmas time.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »

When I visited the floor was clean. It must have been because of some feast. Among the Eastern Orthodox there are various times of the year at which flowers are thrown around the church. In some Slavic churches the floor is often covered in hay during Christmas time.

Interesting! thank you dear, I appreciate it Smiley so the hay would be symbolising the stable  no?

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01:23 AM »

. In some Slavic churches the floor is often covered in hay during Christmas time.

Or with calamus on Pentecost.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:42 AM »

. In some Slavic churches the floor is often covered in hay during Christmas time.

Or with calamus on Pentecost.

wow that's great, I am a sucker for these festive ceremonies, they make the feast days extra special and beautiful!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: