OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historiography and hymnology  (Read 458 times) Average Rating: 0
Remnkemi

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: November 08, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »

Hello,

I am researching the history of Greek hymns, specifically two resurrection apolytikion hymns: του λιθου σφραγισθεντος and τον συνάναρχον λόγον. I need to know if anyone has any information on an author and a date of introduction. I searched all the dictionaries, lectionaries, encyclopedias and internet resources I can find and I have not found any historical information on these hymns. Does anybody have any information or can someone direct me to website or a historical ethnomusicologist who may know the answer?

Thank you.
George
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

Does anybody have any information or can someone direct me to website or a historical ethnomusicologist who may know the answer?

This sounds like a doctoral thesis waiting to be written. There is a Georgian text that exist from the 5th century that is being researched in Russia since it is the earliest example of the these text. Good luck in your search.

Joseph
Remnkemi

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

It's not for a doctoral thesis. I'm doing it to show common links between Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox. These hymns are found in nearly all Orthodox hymn repertoires. Anyway, do you any information on this Gregorian text? Any references I may be able to find online?
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »

Get in touch with Fr. Alexander Rentel at St. Vladimir's Seminary in New York...He's a master at finding resources for this sort of thing.  As I recall, he taught a course on Byzantine hymology there last year.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Remnkemi

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »

Thanks for the help.

As a follow up question, can someone tell me where exactly these two hymns are said according to the rite in their respective Orthodox jurisdiction? For the Coptic Orthodox Church, these two hymns are said in a procession during the liturgy before the gospel during the Resurrection Feast up to the Ascension Feast. What do the other Orthodox Churches do?

Additionally, does anyone have any information on the Greek Orthodox of Alexandria? I emailed their official site at http://www.patriarchateofalexandria.com and I did not get an answer. I am looking for information on their 113th patriarch Kallinikos (1858-1861). I think this is where these hymns crossed paths in the two Alexandrian Orthodox jurisdictions but I don't have any corroborating evidence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: hymns  Resurrection apolytikion  history 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: