OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:32:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interpretation Sparks a Grave Theology Debate  (Read 690 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »

A fiery debate has erupted over a leading Southern Baptist apologist's questioning of Matthew 27. The question: whether Matthew's reference to many saints rising from their graves after Jesus' resurrection might not be literal history.

The theological war of words, spurred by high-profile open letters and retorts on the Internet, has raised questions about the meaning of biblical inerrancy. It has also led to the departure of Michael Licona as apologetics coordinator for the North American Mission Board (NAMB).

At issue is a passage of Licona's 700-page The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach, published in 2010 by InterVarsity Press.

"Based on my reading of the Greco-Roman, Jewish, and biblical literature, I proposed that the raised saints are best interpreted as Matthew's use of an apocalyptic symbol communicating that the Son of God had just died," said Licona, former research professor of New Testament at Southern Evangelical Seminary in Charlotte, North Carolina. Licona voluntarily resigned from the seminary on October 4 after the print version of this article went to press.
Daniel B. Wallace, New Testament professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, said he disagrees with Licona's interpretation but considers the issue hermeneutical, not a challenge to biblical inerrancy.

"If we view our own interpretation to be just as inerrant as the Scriptures," he said, "this could ironically elevate tradition and erode biblical authority."

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:30:54 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »

"If we view our own interpretation to be just as inerrant as the Scriptures," he said, "this could ironically elevate tradition and erode biblical authority."
[/size][/font]

[/quote]

(bolded text mine)

*very heavy sigh*

Undecided

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »

[/size][/font]

(bolded text mine)

*very heavy sigh*

Undecided
[/quote]

God forbid tradition be elevated! Shocked

But seriously does he really think that to elevate tradition would cause biblical authority to erode? Oh, wait he is a sola scripturaist, nevermind.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »

You know a large part of what brought me to the point I'm at, was the realization that all churches have tradition. It's just that some admit it. And, all churches view their tradition as the only way to understand the Bible, it's just that some have an unbroken line of tradition and understanding that goes back to when the New Testement was written and before.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »

You know a large part of what brought me to the point I'm at, was the realization that all churches have tradition. It's just that some admit it. And, all churches view their tradition as the only way to understand the Bible, it's just that some have an unbroken line of tradition and understanding that goes back to when the New Testement was written and before.

+1

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »

+1
I've seen this sort of response before, but what does it mean?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »

Good on Licona for resigning. A wonderful apologist, and I loved his book too:
http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Jesus-New-Historiographical-Approach/dp/0830827196

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »

+1

I use it to show that I agree and also like the response

Check out my blog...
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

+1

I use it to show that I agree and also like the response
Okay, cool, and thanks.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »

A few weeks ago, I attended a conference on evangelicalism held at the seminary from which Licona just resigned -- Southern Evangelical Seminary. They are nice folks, but pretty hard-core conservative-fundamentalist:

We believe in the special creation of the entire space-time universe and of every basic form of life in the six historic days of the Genesis creation record. We also believe in the historicity of the biblical record, including the special creation of Adam and Eve as the literal progenitors of all people, the literal fall and resultant divine curse on the creation, the worldwide flood, and the origin of nations and diverse languages at the tower of Babel.
We believe in the personal, imminent, and premillennial return of the Lord Jesus Christ for His redeemed ones followed by His millennial reign on earth.
We believe that man was originally created in the image and likeness of God, and that he fell through sin; and that as a consequence of his sin, he became dead in trespasses and sins, and that he became subject to the power of the devil. We also believe that this spiritual death, or total depravity of human nature, has been transmitted to the entire human race, the Man Christ Jesus alone being excepted; and hence that every child of Adam is born into the world with a nature that is totally corrupt.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:01:45 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: