OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Artist Giotto hid scary face in basilica painting  (Read 583 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »

Works of art by Giotto di Bondone adorn the Basilica of St. Francis, in Assisi, Italy. Until now, however, it has been difficult to pick out an unusual face in one of the pieces: that of the Unwanted One himself.

From the article:
An Italian art historian, Chiara Frugoni, spotted the devil's profile in the fresco's clouds, high up in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi.

The face, with hooked nose and an evil smirk, is hard to see from the ground.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »

gosh, that has to be one pissed off artist, who would think of insulting someone for years lol that is the power of  art, isn't it? you can 'immortalize' nearly anything even insults lol

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »

gosh, that has to be one pissed off artist, who would think of insulting someone for years lol that is the power of  art, isn't it? you can 'immortalize' nearly anything even insults lol
Italian Middle Ages art was all about that. Read Dante's Inferno, his insults of others while boasting of his skill makes the whole mid 90s East/West Coast hip-hop wars look tame by comparison.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »

It is far more likely that the face is a self-portrait, not the devil. Giotto had a prominent nose, and a protruding chin, similar to that of the Assisi painting. The narrow eye in this painting is not sinister, but typical of Giotto's style and that of other Florentine artists of the period.

Renaissance artists often sneaked in "hidden", often caricatured, self-portraits in their works. Another is Michelangelo: in the Last Judgement fresco in the Sistine Chapel, the Apostle Bartholomew is shown holding his flayed skin. Though distorted, the face on the skin is unmistakeably that of Michelangelo.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »

Italian Middle Ages art was all about that. Read Dante's Inferno, his insults of others while boasting of his skill makes the whole mid 90s East/West Coast hip-hop wars look tame by comparison.
So true! Even in Purgatorio, if I remember correctly, he takes a lot of cheap shots. Read with footnotes unless you are very familiar with the history of the time.

And I like that it's just now that someone spotted the face! Aren't there more of us who see faces in clouds, splatter patterns, popcorn ceilings? Wink

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags: Giotto art paintings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: