Author Topic: Greenwich Royal Observatory considers changing time scale  (Read 611 times)

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Greenwich Royal Observatory considers changing time scale
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
The Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, is debating whether to alter the way it measures time.

From the article:
Rory McEvoy, curator of horology at the UK's Royal Observatory in Greenwich, explained: "Since the 1920s, it has been known, and previously suspected, that the motion of the Earth is not quite as constant as we'd first thought."

Only one man can help us now.

He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Greenwich Royal Observatory considers changing time scale
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
Thinking about the subject of time: Don't we return to Standard Time this weekend? There's our leap hour! :laugh:
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Elijah

• Elder
  • God is love; be faithful un to death.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
The Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, is debating whether to alter the way it measures time.

From the article:
Rory McEvoy, curator of horology at the UK's Royal Observatory in Greenwich, explained: "Since the 1920s, it has been known, and previously suspected, that the motion of the Earth is not quite as constant as we'd first thought."

Only one man can help us now.

Thank you for information; this may be a fun read:
At the centre of time
Without it international travel would be in turmoil and calling friends in faraway places at the right time impossible. Exactly 125 years after the Greenwich Meridian line was drawn, how and why did Britain become the centre of time?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8266883.stm

Opinions?
The reason for this is that while atomic clocks, which use the vibrations in atoms to count the seconds, are incredibly accurate, the Earth is not such a reliable time-keeper thanks to a slight wobble as it spins on its axis.

Atomic clocks are much better at keeping time than the Earth

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
I think getting rid of leap seconds is best. A few centuries from now, when time has drifted an hour, let's turn the clocks forward an hour. If we can manage to do Daylight Saving Time every year, 500 years from now I imagine we will be able to find a solution.

Another option is to switch to Unix Time for science and communications. No leap seconds or earth rotation to worry about.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:47:26 PM by bogdan »