OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:48:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a thread for football (soccer)  (Read 3035 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: November 05, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »

I want to know people's favorite teams, leagues, players, etc. then we can talk about and bicker over it.  police

My Favorite Club Teams:
Rosenborg BK, Manchester United, FC København, Los Angeles Galaxy, Celtic FC, Sydney FC, Halmstad BK, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Real Madrid

My Favorite National Teams:
Norway, Denmark, Sweden, USA, England, Scotland

Favorite Players:
Wayne Rooney, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ragnar Sigurðsson, Landon Donovan, Mathias Jørgensen, Mikael Dorsin, Daniel Örlund, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, David Beckham, Harry Kewell

Forgive my sins.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:54:24 AM »

first and foremost, i support l'Olympique de Marseille

In England, i cheer for Chelsea F.C.

national teams

Team Canada(by default), Team Scotland, Team France

also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:56:17 AM by montalo » Logged

SCREW BON JOVI!
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:47:32 AM »

Grew up supporting Wisła Kraków, and its always my first team.  I am also a keen supporter of Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Red Star Belgrde), though I have a sneaking admiration for OFK Beograd (its the oldest team in the Serbian Superliga).  I also support Slavia Sofia.  I'm in London now, and while I like watching the quality of the Premiership, or even the Championship, can't say that I have a team so far, though my local pubs show mostly Chelsea matches...might develop an affinity for them Grin

In terms of national teams, I support Poland, Serbia, and Bulgaria

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »

Favorites:

Clubs- Manchester United, Palermo, Cork City

National- United States, England

Players- Casey Keller, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »

Grew up supporting Wisła Kraków, and its always my first team.  I am also a keen supporter of Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Red Star Belgrde), though I have a sneaking admiration for OFK Beograd (its the oldest team in the Serbian Superliga).  I also support Slavia Sofia.  I'm in London now, and while I like watching the quality of the Premiership, or even the Championship, can't say that I have a team so far, though my local pubs show mostly Chelsea matches...might develop an affinity for them Grin

In terms of national teams, I support Poland, Serbia, and Bulgaria

aye, always a good choice

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »

Favorites:

Clubs- Manchester United, Palermo, Cork City

National- United States, England

Players- Casey Keller, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney

We just became best friends. Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »

I want to know people's favorite teams, leagues, players, etc. then we can talk about and bicker over it.  police

My Favorite Club Teams:
Rosenborg BK, Manchester United, FC København, Los Angeles Galaxy, Celtic FC, Sydney FC, Halmstad BK, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Real Madrid

Norway, Denmark, Sweden, USA, England, Scotland

Favorite Players:
Wayne Rooney, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ragnar Sigurðsson, Landon Donovan, Mathias Jørgensen, Mikael Dorsin, Daniel Örlund, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, David Beckham, Harry Kewell

I think you might misunderstand the meaning of favorite.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »

Happy 25 years, Sir Alex! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9630954.stm

Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 01:40:36 PM »

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »

My Favorite Club Teams:
Leeds United FC, FC Edmonton, Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)

Canada, England, Ukraine.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)

Hurray!  I knew I liked you.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »

also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p

I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

Indeed!

My Favorite Club Teams:

I have a feeling I know where you live. Wink

Forgive my sins.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »

I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.

Soccer is a British term and proper usage in all variants in English.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »

Unless, of course, you're considering switching your allegiance to SWFC. 

Wink
The good things about supporting a, ermm, out of prime club, are that ticket prices are much more affordable, most of the plastic fans have long since abandoned, and you don't have to worry too much about foreign mercenaries and their sole loyalty being to the almighty £ (we actually have hard working, mainly British/Irish players on our squads; imagine that!).  The internet helps make up for some of the lack of coverage over here though.  Most of the Premiership clubs do nothing for me.

When I'm in London, I tend to go to Millwall and Fulham matches, and I have nothing against Charlton Athletic or Brentford.  I used to like West Ham (and still love Upton Park), but I've soured on them since the whole Tevez affair (yes, kind of sad at this point to still be holding grudges).  In Belgium, I've supported Anderlecht as well.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

Indeed!

My Favorite Club Teams:

I have a feeling I know where you live. Wink

That obvious, eh??

Unless, of course, you're considering switching your allegiance to SWFC.

Hardly! Tongue If I were to switch, the only clubs in Yorkshire that I would consider would probably be York City FC or Leeds City FC--though on a superficial basis, I'm not a huge of the Leeds City logo. I've had success with Worcester City and Gloucester City on FM2011--I have ancestral ties to Worcestershire so I am leaning towards them. Haven't decided yet, may see how this season ends for Leeds, perhaps I can get some of the fire back.

The good things about supporting a, ermm, out of prime club, are that ticket prices are much more affordable, most of the plastic fans have long since abandoned, and you don't have to worry too much about foreign mercenaries and their sole loyalty being to the almighty £ (we actually have hard working, mainly British/Irish players on our squads; imagine that!).  The internet helps make up for some of the lack of coverage over here though.  Most of the Premiership clubs do nothing for me.

All good points...from a Sheffield fan no less!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »

All good points...from a Sheffield fan no less!

Precisely, both Yorkshire (although my direct connection is with Derbyshire) and League One.  Actually, our most recent Premiership experience (2006-2007) was, in many ways, really annoying.  Rather than realizing that we're no longer one of the elite clubs in the country, tons of new fans headed our way and gained some odd sense of entitlement.  In turn, when we failed, a vocal minority of the supporters got really nasty and disillusioned.  It can be tremendously frustrating, selling all of our decent players, e.g. Kyle Walker, Phil Jagielka, etc. (England Intl's for those unaware), but that's the way it's played.

At least most of Barcelona's team is Spanish (and Catalonian to boot).  This Man City stuff disgusts me, but it's not much worse than what many of the other big 4 do. 

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

Then how come in Britain they call it football? Hmmm

I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:24:51 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »

Then how come in Britain they call it football? Hmmm

It's called soccer in parts of South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, too.  It's called language development.  I'm convinced the Brits started calling it football again because they wanted to distance themselves from their former colonies.  

If you're a second-generation American monoglot of European ancestry whose family did not call it "football" during your formative years and you call it "football," or look upon "soccer" as some second-rate term, you're a pretentious blowhard.  Period.

Favorite teams:
Leeds United.  Arsenal.  Barcelona.  DC United.

Favorite national teams:  US.  The Netherlands.  Germany.  Spain.

Favorite players:  Messi.  Silva.  Ribery.  Van Persie.  Arshavin.  Luciano Becchio.  Dwayne De Rosario.  Ethan White.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:44:27 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »

Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »

Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.

Were this facebook, I'd be hitting the "like" button.

Speaking of which, did you catch any of the game on Sunday?  Sounds like we finally have a decent keeper.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:45:32 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »

Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Calling Hand-Egg, Football is both misleading and confusing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:45:42 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »

Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Extra time should just be called "Fergie Time," then. 

It's less confusing.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »

Oh, and add FC St. Pauli to my list.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »

No, not appropriate. Football is a family of sports that all have their origins in the same place. Soccer is one code out of many in that family. While your hand-egg argument is well-taken (I have this photo on my Facebook: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/18431_282939948050_506788050_3375060_2522724_n.jpg ) it doesn't change the fact that American football *is* historically a code of football. The fact that it's development has taken it away from certain aspects of football doesn't change that.

Extra time should just be called "Fergie Time," then. 

It's less confusing.

WIN.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

You leave Fergie time alone.

Teams:

England: Manchester United (my favorite team in any sport period)
Germany: Hoffenheim
Italy: Roma
Spain: none...the whole league should fall into the sea
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense): DC United

Players:
Beckham (love watching that ball bend)
Vinnie Jones (dosen't play anymore, also a guilty pleasure watching him hurt folks)
Berbatov (just a great human being)
Ryan Giggs
Vedad Ibisevic
Pato
C. Ronaldo (I cant help it, traitor or no, the boy is bad to the bone)

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »

You leave Fergie time alone.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »

MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense)

Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »

Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.
No no no. Lemme explain. Im a huge fan of relegation/promotion and MLS does not do that. I fully agree as to why the MLS does not, but that does not mean I have to like it.

That is all I mean. Granted, the quality can not compare to Spain, Brazil, or England, but quality makes not a league. Sorry if that was a pot shot at the MLS, it most certianly is not.

Good luck with your trial. I hope you make it Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »

I'm going to see England v Spain at Wembley on Saturday with my son.

Anyone else got tickets?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »

I'm going to see England v Spain at Wembley on Saturday with my son.

Anyone else got tickets?
I used to like you too......Sad

LOL have fun lucky dog.

PP

Gregory the Great

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »

England are surely going to lose. It's not going to be fun!

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »

Wow, we can totally agree on something.

Good luck in your trial, too.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »

Wow, we can totally agree on something.

Good luck in your trial, too.

Thanks mate.  Smiley

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »

No no no. Lemme explain. Im a huge fan of relegation/promotion and MLS does not do that. I fully agree as to why the MLS does not, but that does not mean I have to like it.

That is all I mean. Granted, the quality can not compare to Spain, Brazil, or England, but quality makes not a league. Sorry if that was a pot shot at the MLS, it most certianly is not.

Good luck with your trial. I hope you make it Smiley

PP

Oh, I get you. Wink

Yeah, I wish the league did have some sort of promotion/relegation with the USL, that would be cool, but I guess it is much too soon for that.

And thank you.  Cheesy

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »

England are surely going to lose. It's not going to be fun!

No Rooney = No win

But I'll still root for the Three Lions.

Forgive my sins.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »

I go to most England home games at Wembley and it is rarely exciting. Within 5 minutes it is usually clear how England will be playing.

But we keep going back, and it is always moving to be singing the National Anthem, a prayer after all, with 75,000 others.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »

Wow, Capello is missing his son's wedding to be at the game. wow.

PP

Gregory the Great

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

But we keep going back, and it is always moving to be singing the National Anthem, a prayer after all, with 75,000 others.

Too bad many of the players on the squad, including Rooney, aren't singing along.  I loved the teams of the 90s and early 2000s but find the current selection, with some major exceptions, to be a bunch of uninspired, spoiled prima donnas (not literally, Orthonorm  Smiley)  I hope Capello or his successor can re-instill some pride, passion, and glory to the Three Lions. 

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »

Capello's not managed yet!

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

I've always been anti-Capello. Unlike my 2nd favorite site in the world, football365. They love the guy. I've always thought that the national team needs to be managed by a native.

PP

Gregory the Great

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

I've always been anti-Capello. Unlike my 2nd favorite site in the world, football365. They love the guy. I've always thought that the national team needs to be managed by a native.
PP

Or a Scot...since they tend to do well in the Premier League.  Wink

Forgive my sins.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »

There are still tickets for the England v Sweden match, but two disappointing performances so close together would be more than I could cope with.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »

PP

Or a Scot...since they tend to do well in the Premier League.  Wink
England ran by SAF? 3 Lions FTW!

PP

Gregory the Great

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »

There are still tickets for the England v Sweden match, but two disappointing performances so close together would be more than I could cope with.

Sverige for den vinne!

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: