OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hospital gowns redesigned  (Read 1615 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: August 17, 2004, 02:37:54 PM »

PORTLAND, Maine  — Whether it's blue or spotted or striped, the standard issue hospital gown is drafty and revealing. It's embarrassing for just about anyone who's spent a night in a medical center. But for modest Muslim women, it's an unthinkable indignity.

(Right -- Christian women are just slutty)   Angry

...."I have witnessed their misery and how bad they feel about it. They don't like it. They feel ashamed. It's very embarrassing," said Asha Abdulleh, a native of Kenya (search) and a medical interpreter.

(Right -- Christian women were not ashamed of wearing the old ones -- because they are IMMODEST)   Angry

Just WHAT is being implied by this? Does ANYONE like wearing those things? Why the insinuation that only Muslim woman are too modest to like them?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129210,00.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:26:55 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:55:27 PM »

Since it came from FOX, fire a email to O'Reilly, see how balanced & fair they approach it.

Personally, I don't like my "6" bared for public.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 04:15:55 PM »

Well, guess the wife fired off one to Mr. Bill.

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:28:13 PM »

Women don't find them modest? And the other 48 per cent of the population, we are perfectly okay with them? For myself, I find them too awful to make a coherent comment. If they aren't good enough for some modest folk then they aren't good enough for any modest folk............................................

It is afterwards that events are best understood
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 08:31:45 PM »

I tend to agree.  I dont like the gown and I know many people also that dont like it.  I know that someone somewhere can design a better more comfortable and more modest gown that will attain the same purpose.  This design hasnt changed for almost 50 years. Come on now folks, cant the hospital industry modernize these gowns along with all the other advances they have made in medicine?  

Drafty,

JoeS   :-";"xx
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 10:53:26 PM »

Yah, it seems like doctors and nurses have teflon coated, polka-dot neon gravity-defying scrubs, but we still get the same meagre cotton gown.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 08:31:42 AM »

You are correct that the opened back gowns are immodest when one is placed in one and required to walk in public.

HOWEVER, as a person who works in the  medical setting of a Hospital, It should be noted that Opened-backed hospital gowns serve a very specific purpose that of  providing the medical staff treating a critically ill patient  with immediate access for times of crisis (I.e. respiratory or cardiac failure), incontinence and cleanliness/inefection source, pain issues, and surgical needs.  Can you imagine what it would be like to be in excruiciating pain in the ER after an accident, having to go to an Xray and having to remove clothing, jewelry, etc that would limit the value of teh Xray's evaluation?

The fact is that most hospitals I have worked in over the past 30 years provide an additional gown to slip over the back if one is expected to walk down a hall. When ever a person is able to wear their own robes, pajamas, they are allowed to do so.

Islam itself would usually find modern western medicine to be scandalous in that we allow male physicians to even be present at the time of treatment of women.  Nothing we will do will ever satisfy their Islamic senses of propriety.  Look at the example of modern medicine under the "highly correct" model of Islam that Afganistan Taliban offered its women---thousand died for lack of medicine---educated female physicians and health care professionals were eventually eliminated in all but maternity hospitals and even then prosecuted and prevented from doing the job  due to lack of medicine or even the baisc of material to maintain sanitary conditions beyond water and soap.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 06:10:53 PM »

I followed the comments succeeding my modest comment with interest. And Thomas your comment in particular 'sparked' a thought. (I know painful!).

It is easy to become irritable with Moslems response to this or that issue violating their sense of propriety or sensibilities. While understanding your reservation, Thomas, about the possibility that - some of them anyway - may never be satisfied, I admire their willingness to defend standards and combat insults to that that they hold dear. Would that many who call themselves Christian were to share at least some of that. An artist mocks God, silence or indifference. A homosexual 'Jesus' portrayed in a play, silence or a few isolated complaints. Men and women chose to come to church immodestly dressed and no one challenges it. Raise this as an issue and get told that if anything is said the persons concerned will turn away, so better to be silent (and complicit)?

Somewhere between their (perceived) over-sensitivity and our indifference must lie the Royal Path of a Christian response to these issues?

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 09:53:33 PM »

.. I admire their willingness to defend standards and combat insults to that that they hold dear. Would that many who call themselves Christian were to share at least some of that. An artist mocks God, silence or indifference. A homosexual 'Jesus' portrayed in a play, silence or a few isolated complaints...

Christianity is the truth received from a loving, forgiving God. And that is precisely why things like you mention are tolerated. We are to conduct ourselves with compassion, humility, and love.

Islam is a religion of hate created by the Evil One and received through a controlling, violent  man. And that is precisely why they judge all others around them and insist that all be enslaved like them.

So, thanks, but I will keep my religion that is not supposed to spend its time judging and condeming all others who do not see things exactly as I do.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 04:21:49 PM »

Tom S,

"So, thanks, but I will keep my religion that is not supposed to spend its time judging and condemning all others who do not see things exactly as I do".

I too see the stark difference between True religion, i.e. Orthodox Christianity, and false religion, in this case Islam. Couple of points. I had thought we shared that common religion and a common understanding but the above leaves me non-plussed. I clearly missed something here? And the "thanks" is it literally a thank you or rather telling me to keep my opinion to myself, especially if I can find anything positive in others? Forgive the question, but I am struggling with this one. Demonising others is something I have seen and lived with. Its consequences lead to the injury and death of others. (It is not too long since I stopped checking the underside of my car with a long handled mirror for evidence of tampering or a bomb - I still have the mirror).

A little voice within me has been "nagging me" to quit these forums. Maybe I should listen to that quiet voice.

spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 09:59:28 PM »

Personally, I don't like my "6" bared for public.

You mean that opening is supposed to go in the back?

Having spent a lot of time in the Hospital myself....I don't think I ever saw a conscious patient wear one of those things except perhaps for an exam or procedure....Everyone wore sweats or PJs....maybe they availed themselves of the Hospital Robe....
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 08:02:45 PM »

Tom S,

"So, thanks, but I will keep my religion that is not supposed to spend its time judging and condemning all others who do not see things exactly as I do".

...And the "thanks" is it literally a thank you or rather telling me to keep my opinion to myself, especially if I can find anything positive in others? Forgive the question, but I am struggling with this one. Demonising others is something I have seen and lived with.

Sorry I was not more clear in my post. But that statement was certainly NOT directed at you. I was a general statement directed more toward fanatical Muslims in general.

The Muslims do a good enough job of demonizing themselves. That need no help from me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: