OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:32:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Copts, Armenians, Ethiopians, and Syrians kiss the hand of clergy?  (Read 807 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: November 10, 2011, 02:10:36 AM »

Do Copts, Armenians, Ethiopians, and Syrians kiss the hand of clergy?

Just curious  Smiley

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:17 AM »

Do Copts, Armenians, Ethiopians, and Syrians kiss the hand of clergy?

Just curious  Smiley

yes I know for sure that both Ethiopians  and Eritreans do kiss the hand of the Clergy, their hands are like the Holy Cross, on which the Body of Our Lord and Savior is broken. they get to touch Him who is the Healer and Life of all of us. blessed are their eyes that behold Him, Blessed are their hands that touch Him, blessed are their feet that stand before Him  their Archpriest, and the Father and the Holy Spirit, in the holy Priesthood, bearing the keys to the Eternal Kingdom. yes we kiss their hands , and we kiss their feet, we kiss their vestment, we ask them to blow their blessed and sanctified breath upon us for healing and blessing. I could go on, but I guess that has answered your question. I think for the most part Our Coptic , Armenians and Syrians do the same too, but I will let them speak on it to be certain.

In Christ.
Hiwot.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:08:21 AM »

I kiss my priest's hand and blessing Cross.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:12:28 AM by zekarja » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »

As for Copts, we kiss the Cross, kiss his hand, and bow/touch our foreheads to his hand...and we try to do this as quickly as possible before he pulls his hand away out of humility.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »

Yes, Armenians do.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »

yes, generally, we like kissing things!
coptogeek has described it well.
copts kiss the gospel in church when there are not too many (otherwise just the chanters and altar servers do) and ethiopians / eritreans kiss the gospel 3 times as the priest carries it around the church after the gospel reading.
so in the different oriental orthodox churches the kissing practices are slightly different, and usually (not always) men kiss only men in church and women kiss only women. everyone kisses the icons and the babies. as a general rule, when in doubt, kiss!
 Kiss
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: