OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:38:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pastor apologizes for Halloween tract  (Read 2326 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »

HILLSBORO, Ohio (ABP) – A Southern Baptist pastor in Ohio apologized for giving trick-or-treaters a religious tract that contained a cartoon depiction of a child hanging in a noose.

Kenny Cousar, pastor of Northview Baptist Church in Hillsboro, Ohio, issued a public apology on Facebook for church volunteers handing out a Chick Publications tract titled “Mean Mama” the Thursday before Halloween. The comic-book style pamphlet tells the story of an unbelieving mother who finally turns to Christ after God kills her three sons, one of whom commits suicide by hanging.

Cousar says the church has a ministry to passing out tracts with candy to children as an outreach to its community but got careless with this one, which “generated many negative comments” on the church’s Facebook page.
 Shocked
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:01:08 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »

Oh. Oh dear.  Huh Shocked

Looks like somebody missed a couple memos.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »

I looked at the tract. Please tell me Jack Chick works for a secret, subversive atheist organization. I want to feel clean again....

"Who touches, is also touched"
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »

Yes, he does... it's called "Accountable-to-No-One-Christianity."

I looked at the tract. Please tell me Jack Chick works for a secret, subversive atheist organization. I want to feel clean again....

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »

Nah, he's just a pawn for such organizations, unbeknownst to him. Smiley
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

Nah, he's just a pawn for such organizations, unbeknownst to him. Smiley

Exactly. Ignorant zeal (with more than a dash of hatred) sends many fleeing the Church.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »

HILLSBORO, Ohio (ABP) – A Southern Baptist pastor in Ohio apologized for giving trick-or-treaters a religious tract that contained a cartoon depiction of a child hanging in a noose.

Kenny Cousar, pastor of Northview Baptist Church in Hillsboro, Ohio, issued a public apology on Facebook for church volunteers handing out a Chick Publications tract titled “Mean Mama” the Thursday before Halloween. The comic-book style pamphlet tells the story of an unbelieving mother who finally turns to Christ after God kills her three sons, one of whom commits suicide by hanging.

Cousar says the church has a ministry to passing out tracts with candy to children as an outreach to its community but got careless with this one, which “generated many negative comments” on the church’s Facebook page.
 Shocked

Nice! Not fer from parts I grew up in.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »

I just love how people "fight" the celebration of halloween by handing stuff out to trick or treaters.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:57:15 AM »

Is it worse than the bulgarian booklet on confession I read, which contains illustrations of a man with un-sacramentally confessed sins being devoured by snake demons on his deathbed as his guardian angel looks away in shame?

Don't get me wrong, I liked the rest of the booklet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:58:55 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:15 AM »

I wonder if Jack Chick knows how people are turned away from Christianity due to his tracts.

Also, I think the pastor should have previewed the booklets before handing them out to little kids to make sure they were appropriate (although I would never go so far as to say that any Chick publication is appropriate).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »

I wonder if Jack Chick knows how people are turned away from Christianity due to his tracts.

Also, I think the pastor should have previewed the booklets before handing them out to little kids to make sure they were appropriate (although I would never go so far as to say that any Chick publication is appropriate).

When I was protestant I met people who either became christian or was encouraged in their faith because of jack chick tracts. And so what you say is one sided. You will be amazed to know that the same-thing used to divide people can simultaneously unite other people. It's a two-way street. And so yes, some people will be turned away from joining some christian group because of this, but others will join a christian group because of this. And so both are true. It's a two way street.

Now I don't like Jack chick tracts, even in my later protestant days I didn't like them, but I did in my early protestant days......in my youth.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:09:43 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:08:01 AM »

When I was protestant I met people who either became christian or was encouraged in their faith because of jack chick tracts. And so what you say is one sided. You will be amazed to know that the same-thing used to divide people can simultaneously unite other people. It's a two-way street. And so yes, some people will be turned away from joining some christian group because of this, but others will join a christian group because of this. And so both are true. It's a two way street.

Now I don't like Jack chick tracts, even in my later protestant days I didn't like them, but I did in my early protestant days......in my youth.

I realize that it is a two way street; I too know people who became Christians because of chick tracts, but I have known plenty who have read them and ran the other way. I used to love reading those tracts when I was younger and I thought they accurately portrayed Christianity, as I got older though I realized that Jack Chick and his tracts are pretty much just hate filled speech under the guise of "love".

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »

My atheist brother keeps Chick tracts around the house as kitsch/ entertainment.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »

Is it worse than the bulgarian booklet on confession I read, which contains illustrations of a man with un-sacramentally confessed sins being devoured by snake demons on his deathbed as his guardian angel looks away in shame?

Do you know where I can order these?   Wink
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »

I'm ashamed to say that I know people who LIKE the Chick tracts, and they are friends.  Undecided Otherwise they are lovely people but I don't see how Christians can think that handing those tracts out is okay.

I guess I am thinking more of the Catholic ones, though.

But they all seem like they spew hatred to me.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »

My atheist brother keeps Chick tracts around the house as kitsch/ entertainment.

I have at least three friends who do the same.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
philip xavier

come,Lord Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »

Even in a remote part of our remote country, Chick tracts have a strong following. My evangelical friends would point to me the "evil" of the liturgical churches by citing one of these tracts as if its part of the scriptures. Wouldn't it be better if they would read first the Church Fathers than believe comics? 

Lord have mercy.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

That tract is sickening.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »

Can you scan this part in and post it for us? I'd like to see what you're referring to.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:59:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

To be honest i'm not sure such an image would be allowed in the public forum.  If you would like to share it privately, be my guest, or in the private forums.   police

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »

I would apologise for handing out Jack Chick tracts as well, and then forfeit all rights to preach as well.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 02:01:46 AM »

^Everyone is on a learning curve, even preachers. At least he hasn't tried to justify an appalling error. Though, it's beyond me why anyone would want hand out Chick tracts, anyway!   Shocked

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 09:41:40 AM »

He'd probably tell you he's doing the Lord's work by separating tares from the wheat.

Remember, these are the sort of people who, upon entering an Orthodox Church, cover their eyes and fall back gasping "Graven images!"
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »

He'd probably tell you he's doing the Lord's work by separating tares from the wheat.

Remember, these are the sort of people who, upon entering an Orthodox Church, cover their eyes and fall back gasping "Graven images!"

They are also the same type of people who have all kinds of religious paintings or at least a picture of Jesus as you walk into the foyer (just not in the sanctuary).

Also, when I was younger I used to think that Jesus didn't have a face because of Chick tracts; later I realized that Mr. Chick depicted Him that way because "we don't know what He looks like" and "we can not stand to see the glory of His face." Seeing as how hardly any pictures of Mr. Chick have ever been seen (therefore we don't know what he looks like) I'm beginning to wonder if he is not the one depicted in his tracts...  angel

Check out my blog...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: