OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan Jonah  (Read 4567 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: November 01, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »

Although Im not in the OCA, I do like to keep up with it since I think eventually it will have a controlling aspect in the Orthodox Church here. So I took a listen to his opening address in Seattle and I was very impressed with what he had to say.

He gave a very polite yet stern tongue-lashing about supporting the clergy (the food stamp comment saddened me; I had no idea) and it seems to me, he took a strong stance concerning the homosexuality debate that is evidently a pretty big deal in the OCA. Anyone else give it a listen?

Thoughts?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

Going to give this a listen during lunch today and will post my thoughts afterwards.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/oca_aac16/plenary_1_metropolitan_jonah_address

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »

Many prayers for all those in Seattle right now.

I am sure some of us have more than a few nearest and dearest there.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »

Many prayers for all those in Seattle right now.

I am sure some of us have more than a few nearest and dearest there.
Indeed!
PP

Gregory the Great

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:33:37 PM »

Although Im not in the OCA, I do like to keep up with it since I think eventually it will have a controlling aspect in the Orthodox Church here. So I took a listen to his opening address in Seattle and I was very impressed with what he had to say.

He gave a very polite yet stern tongue-lashing about supporting the clergy (the food stamp comment saddened me; I had no idea) and it seems to me, he took a strong stance concerning the homosexuality debate that is evidently a pretty big deal in the OCA. Anyone else give it a listen?

Thoughts?

I thought it was a wonderful speech.  Metropolitan Jonah really knows and loves his flock.  May God grant him many years.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »

Thoughts?

I thought it was a wonderful speech.  Metropolitan Jonah really knows and loves his flock.  May God grant him many years.
I liked it very much as well. Too bad the Q&A with the chancellor (s) was political dodge-speech.

PP

Gregory the Great

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »

Thoughts?

I thought it was a wonderful speech.  Metropolitan Jonah really knows and loves his flock.  May God grant him many years.

Good message. He does need to learn some public speaking skills. It is was a little difficult to listen to. Sounded nearly like a cold read.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:21:55 AM by orthonorm » Logged

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

Did you, as a non-Orthodox person (and I'm getting this from your profile) get paid to plug the OCA in such a manner?  How do you know if they will "control the Orthodox " in North America?  You have a lot to learn, and I hope you will follow your teaching if you become a catechumen.  Seriously, also, convert to learn the basics of the faith not the politics of the dioceses.  It will help you in the long run, getting too caught up in the politics will cloud your catechumenate.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »

Thoughts?

I liked it very much as well. Too bad the Q&A with the chancellor (s) was political dodge-speech.

PP

Yeah, and I noticed that the homosexuality issue came up again.  I am skeptical of the new chancellor's explanation of "pastoral" responses, since that is too often a euphemism for looking the other way and tolerating active sin.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »

Good message. He does need to learn some public speaking skills. It is was a little difficult to listen to. Sounded nearly like a cold read.

That was my feeling as well, after listening to his presentation. Perhaps he was nervous due to the content of the speech, especially since he needed to apologise to the assembly for the past events that affected the OCA under his leadership. That apology was needed and I am sure it was difficult.

His Eminence understood though that he needed to clear the air on some issues and rather than shirking his duty to do so he discussed the issues head on in workmanlike fashion. Good for him!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »

His Eminence understood though that he needed to clear the air on some issues and rather than shirking his duty to do so he discussed the issues head on in workmanlike fashion. Good for him!

*His Beatitude  angel

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:14:47 PM »

That was my feeling as well, after listening to his presentation. Perhaps he was nervous due to the content of the speech, especially since he needed to apologise to the assembly for the past events that affected the OCA under his leadership. That apology was needed and I am sure it was difficult.

Fr Chris, please be aware that according to the customs of the OCA, their primate is called "His Beatitude".  I am confident no disrespect was intended by you as I know in the Greek tradition, Metropolitans are called "His Eminence".

f.k.a. Matron.a
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »

Quite likely.

I thought that same at the beginning. But I figured after five minutes into it, you calm down.

Agreed with your comments.

Just if he is going to be getting up soap boxes in this day and age, your rhetoric has to match your delivery. There was a bit of a rallying cry given, but wasn't much St. Crispin nor St. Crispinian in it.

Not that anyone who is close to him cares what I think.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »

Fr Chris, please be aware that according to the customs of the OCA, their primate is called "His Beatitude".  I am confident no disrespect was intended by you as I know in the Greek tradition, Metropolitans are called "His Eminence".

I think it was the other reason (14 vs 15). Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

Did you, as a non-Orthodox person (and I'm getting this from your profile) get paid to plug the OCA in such a manner?  How do you know if they will "control the Orthodox " in North America?  You have a lot to learn, and I hope you will follow your teaching if you become a catechumen.  Seriously, also, convert to learn the basics of the faith not the politics of the dioceses.  It will help you in the long run, getting too caught up in the politics will cloud your catechumenate.

I found this to be an unnecessary attack on PP. Sad
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »

Replying now to the substance of your post, Fr. Chris, I agree with your assessment.  This was likely a very emotional occasion for Metropolitan Jonah.  Normally he's a spontaneous and vibrant speaker, but reading from the paper probably helped him keep it together.    Still, I felt a lot of sincerity coming from him, and so the flawed delivery didn't detract too much from his message.  I am very happy he addressed a lot of the major issues in the OCA and the conflicts within the Holy Synod with grace and aplomb. 

Bishop Melchizedek is rather more painful to listen to.  Every other word is "uh".  Yikes.

f.k.a. Matron.a
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »

I think it was the other reason (14 vs 15). Wink

Actually, even if one comes from a church that does not regard the OCA as a legitimately autocephalous entity, I believe they do accept that the OCA, while remaining under Moscow, has been given the dignities of an autocephalous church by its mother church, including calling its first hierarch "His Beatitude".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:37:44 PM by Orual » Logged

f.k.a. Matron.a
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

more so, as PP is right.  The mere fact of the OCA's autocephaly already has a controllling aspect on the Orthodox Chruch here and elsewhere (the EP stopped bringing its Estonians like at Ravenna, when Moscow served notice that the OCA would be coming along to the next event).

I'll develop that, Lord willing, as people argue against it.  I already have a headache.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

I did not say that the OCA would "control the Orthodox" I said they will have a controlling aspect. No I did not get paid to plug anything. I am also capable of handling more than 1 subject at a time. This is not getting in the way of any teaching or anything. I am simply interested in a meeting that in the future MAY have repercussions for me. If you dont agree, thats totally cool. Im not mad about that.Just dont listen to it if you dont agree.

I for one believe that the OCA will have an impact here in the USA (and will eventually be recognized by the EP and everyone else) that is greater than the influence it has now. Its just a matter of time.

I found this to be an unnecessary attack on PP

I appreciate that, but I dont think it was made as an attack. Just an admonishment to stay on target. its cool.

PP

Gregory the Great

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 04:49:20 PM »

Please accept my humble apologies! The titles of respect given OCA hierarchs has always confused me, and the few times I have served at an OCA altar I have always had to write out the entire phrase and honorific just to keep it clear in my head.

And if anyone was offended by yet another example of my liturgical ineptitude, I ask for your forgiveness.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »

Please accept my humble apologies! The titles of respect given OCA hierarchs has always confused me, and the few times I have served at an OCA altar I have always had to write out the entire phrase and honorific just to keep it clear in my head.

And if anyone was offended by yet another example of my liturgical ineptitude, I ask for your forgiveness.

No problem, Fr Chris, as I said, I saw it as a simple mistake and not an intentional slight.  The titles "Archbishop" and "Metropolitan" are reversed between the Greek tradition and that of others, and sometimes primates are called Archbishop and sometimes they're called Metropolitan, and it can all be quite confusing.

The OCA's custom is to call a bishop "His Grace" and an archbishop "His Eminence", and I believe those are the same as used in the Greek tradition.  Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, Romania, Cyprus, Poland, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia all call their primates "His Beatitude" as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:39:15 PM by Orual » Logged

f.k.a. Matron.a
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:53 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

Yeah, and I noticed that the homosexuality issue came up again.  I am skeptical of the new chancellor's explanation of "pastoral" responses, since that is too often a euphemism for looking the other way and tolerating active sin.
Yeah, that would be the only "active sin" they look the other way at. Oh, gawd Roll Eyes
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:38 AM »

"Eis pola eti, Despota." Excellent keynote address for a vision for the immediate future of the OCA.   What an example of Christian humility this prelate exudes!  Humility is a Christian characteristic that is not in evidence among too many of our hierarchs today. Let's keep in mind the disfunctionality of the administrative environment he inherited.  His detractors can say what they may, but my gut reaction to his primacial ministry is that there is something very special about this hierarch, something that is not clear today, but given his relative youth and the shortness of his primacial tenure so far, will ultimately benefit the OCA and our Holy Orthodoxy in North America.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »

"Eis pola eti, Despota." Excellent keynote address for a vision for the immediate future of the OCA.   What an example of Christian humility this prelate exudes!  Humility is a Christian characteristic that is not in evidence among too many of our hierarchs today. Let's keep in mind the disfunctionality of the administrative environment he inherited.  His detractors can say what they may, but my gut reaction to his primacial ministry is that there is something very special about this hierarch, something that is not clear today, but given his relative youth and the shortness of his primacial tenure so far, will ultimately benefit the OCA and our Holy Orthodoxy in North America.
I gotta say, alot of folks give Met. Jonah a lot of grief that I think is totally unwarranted. He seems to really want to make the OCA respectable and show the rest of Orthodoxy that it can be the one Orthodox Church of America.

From what I heard from the other folks (the chancellor and the past chancellor mostly) he has a long way to go. Those two sounded like politicians with the way they effectively dodged giving a straight answer.

Between the sexual stuff and the financial stuff and other things that we may not even be aware of, I think that they have the right man for the job. I respect him greatly from what I've heard/read.

The only folks really hitting hi hard appears to me, to be the ones that were in the center of all this mess.
PP

Gregory the Great

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »

I'm listening right now and his voice does sound like he is very nervous.  I can't imagine the weights that His Beatitude carries due to his position and, considering what has happened to him in recent months, it's not surprising as he is speaking to a lot of people who probably want him gone.

Still, I like what I am hearing and I'm happy that he has begun on such an optimistic note.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »

I'm listening right now and his voice does sound like he is very nervous.  I can't imagine the weights that His Beatitude carries due to his position and, considering what has happened to him in recent months, it's not surprising as he is speaking to a lot of people who probably want him gone.

Still, I like what I am hearing and I'm happy that he has begun on such an optimistic note.
Yeah I'd be nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if I were in his shoes.

The debate about the lowering of the $105 fee to $50 (The New York Plan I believe) is quite lively too. Just finished listening and wow, pretty heated.

PP

Gregory the Great

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »

I'm listening right now and his voice does sound like he is very nervous.
That's his normal speaking/lecture voice, from my personal experience.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »

Yeah, he did not seem to be speaking any differently from the other times I've heard him speak. He didn't seem nervous or ill-prepared to me.

Many years to Metr. Jonah for standing firm.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »

Same here.  Good on him for being honest and humble.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »

The more I read from the folks that dont like him, the better I do Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »

Same here (2nd post in a row, in one thread, with that response.  Man, am I an original and substantive contributor!).

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34:28 PM »

Same here (2nd post in a row, in one thread, with that response.  Man, am I an original and substantive contributor!).
laugh laugh laugh laugh

Gregory the Great

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

I did not say that the OCA would "control the Orthodox" I said they will have a controlling aspect. No I did not get paid to plug anything. I am also capable of handling more than 1 subject at a time. This is not getting in the way of any teaching or anything. I am simply interested in a meeting that in the future MAY have repercussions for me. If you dont agree, thats totally cool. Im not mad about that.Just dont listen to it if you dont agree.

I for one believe that the OCA will have an impact here in the USA (and will eventually be recognized by the EP and everyone else) that is greater than the influence it has now. Its just a matter of time.

I found this to be an unnecessary attack on PP

I appreciate that, but I dont think it was made as an attack. Just an admonishment to stay on target. its cool.

PP
Part of being Orthodox is being humble, and listening when people point things out.  What happens at the bishops level usually doesn't have a bearing on those inthe pew.  The fullness of the Faith is completed in the altar on Sunday morning not at any Sobor or through  any diocese.  Therefore, it doesn't really matter who is the bishop, who said what at the diocese level, all that is in focus os the Liturgy.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

IIt was guidance not an attack.  People these days don't want guidance, they want to go it alone and if anyone offers advice and it doesn't appeal to the answer they want then the person offering the advice is seen as someone attacking them.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »

Thoughts?

PP

IIt was guidance not an attack.  People these days don't want guidance, they want to go it alone and if anyone offers advice and it doesn't appeal to the answer they want then the person offering the advice is seen as someone attacking them.
As I said, I didnt take your comments as an attack, just an admonishment to

Gregory the Great

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:56 PM »

Hey, the church is a family.  We are all one in Christ.  So anything me or any other Orthodox Christian might say as guidance is only done with agape.  Haha, I got to use the word agape in a sentence!  I've seen a lot of people come into the church and get so mixed up because they balance faith and politics and usually the politics tip the scales and they become sullen and forlorn.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »

PP

Who are you reading that doesn't "like" him? I am sure if you are referring to people within this thread or without.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:08:43 PM by orthonorm » Logged

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »

The only thing that I didn't like is when he basically "called out" the other hierarchs & said publically that they didn't like him & didn't like the way he did things, etc. etc.  Airing out your dirty laundry is one thing, but this much is not a good thing (IMO).  I think some things are better left behind closed doors.  Say it to their face, not to other people.  It could seem to be attention getting, and not serve its purpose.  If you are truly repentant, then let your repentance be enough.  You don't have to tell everyone about it. 

other than that, it was fairly good. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »

The only thing that I didn't like is when he basically "called out" the other hierarchs & said publically that they didn't like him & didn't like the way he did things, etc. etc.  Airing out your dirty laundry is one thing, but this much is not a good thing (IMO).  I think some things are better left behind closed doors.  Say it to their face, not to other people. 
You don't think he and they have already discussed this behind closed doors?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 01:46:05 AM »

Maybe they have.  If they have, then there's even more reason to now air your dirty laundry in front of everyone.  handle it like adults & move on.  The church no longer does public confessions.  I just think it's very unprofessional. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 02:45:35 AM »

--+
PP
 HB Metropolitan Jonah's approach to the Moscow Patriarchate and ROCOR is about rapproachment and relationship and has mooted closer fraternal ties with the Russian Church as autonomous, rather than autocephalous, clearly a Cold War Soviet vestige that has not united US Orthodoxy.  In raising this option he has shown vision and leadership, just as he has re the great moral debates.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:47:29 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »

--+
PP
  HB Metropolitan Jonah's approach to the Moscow Patriarchate and ROCOR is about rapproachment and relationship and has mooted closer fraternal ties with the Russian Church as autonomous, rather than autocephalous,

You'd like to.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »

--+
PP
  HB Metropolitan Jonah's approach to the Moscow Patriarchate and ROCOR is about rapproachment and relationship and has mooted closer fraternal ties with the Russian Church as autonomous, rather than autocephalous,

You'd like to.
Like to?  Like to see the North American Metropolia reunited with ROCOR and Moscow?  Of course I would.  The Metropolia was as much a part of the Russian Church in North America as was and is ROCOR and the Patriarchal parishes.  Both ROCOR and the MP in North America have plenty of convert priests, plenty of English or bi-language parishes and missions, plenty of converts. All of them commemorate HH Patriarch Kyrill and there is plenty of room to accommodate the OCA with fraternal love, respect and pastoral care.

The fit with the OCA is excellent in the main, especially with the Diocese of Alaska, and His Beatitude Metropolitan Jonah's more traditional monasteries and parishes.  No I am not talking about Russifying the English language parishes of the OCA - because the Russian Orthodox Church in her wisdom has embraced all along liturgy in the vernacular.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »

--+
PP

You'd like to.
Like to?  Like to see the North American Metropolia reunited with ROCOR and Moscow?
The OCA was reunited to Moscow by the Tomos of Autocephaly.

Of course I would.  The Metropolia was
past tense
as much a part of the Russian Church in North America as was and is ROCOR and the Patriarchal parishes.  Both ROCOR and the MP in North America have plenty of convert priests, plenty of English or bi-language parishes and missions, plenty of converts. All of them commemorate HH Patriarch Kyrill

the MP also commemorate Met. Jonah.
and there is plenty of room to accommodate the OCA with fraternal love, respect and pastoral care.
Other than running interference on the Pan-Orthodox/international level, the Church of Moscow is in no position to care for the OCA.  This is not the days of struggling immigrants and natives left behind, dependent on the inexhaustible largesse of the Czar.  Moscow has plenty of work for it in Russia.

The fit with the OCA is excellent in the main, especially with the Diocese of Alaska, and His Beatitude Metropolitan Jonah's more traditional monasteries and parishes.  No I am not talking about Russifying the English language parishes of the OCA - because the Russian Orthodox Church in her wisdom has embraced all along liturgy in the vernacular.
there is more to it than the language issue.  The history of A.C.R.O.D. shows that.  The fit of ROCOR and ACROD in the OCA as Ethnic dioceses, Russian and Carpatho-Russian, would be excellent, as it would leave leave those orientations to persue them, and leave others not have to choose between the two.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: