OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EXOrthodox for Christ ???  (Read 2381 times) Average Rating: 0
Jakub
Archon

« on: August 07, 2004, 07:37:13 PM »

What is up with this outfit ?

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/profile.htm

Check their Eastern Orthodox menu

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 08:49:45 PM »

It is highly doubtful if this group was even Orthodox to begin with.

JoeS

Cool
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 09:25:12 AM »

Right...just a bunch of polemic from a guy who, for some reason, thinks the Orthodox:

• are left with the dillemma of "how to worship Christ while maintaining - doctrinally - the futility of His death and resurrection [according to the Orthodox]". Ever been to a Pascha service, buddy?
  • have given salvation "the nice sounding name of 'Theosis', which is the process of EOC adherence learning to accept their own Godhood as they are able to save themselves."
  • believe "that Salvation [which they re-define as 'Union in Christ'] comes through the process of partaking of the Eucharist, believing that the Eucharistic Host (wafer/bread) [wafer?!] becomes the physical Body of Jesus Christ."
  • believe "that the Priests in its hierarchy stand spiritually on a level which is superior to laymen, giving priests the ability to understand the Bible in ways that Orthodox Church goers cannot understand as a result of their own study of the Bible."

And on and on and on....

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 11:58:56 AM »

Pedro,

Did you see the news site regarding ROCOR and ROCA ? Somebody there is reading material at Orthodox sites, this group has a serious agenda.

They promise to post comments/replies at some future date, really..............

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 05:27:29 PM »

We've discussed these yahoos before. These nuts at ExOrthodox for Christ never were Orthodox to begin with.  They used too much non-Orthodox vocabulary describing their 'experience' in the Orthodox Church. I'm not fooled by this hogwash.
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 06:19:04 PM »

Pedro,

Did you see the news site regarding ROCOR and ROCA ? Somebody there is reading material at Orthodox sites, this group has a serious agenda.

Huh.  No, I didn't see that...PM me or post if you want to the link to the news site.

Well, if they are reading stuff from other Orthodox sites, they're not paying very close attention!  They may be quite serious in their agenda, but the way they're trying to carry it out makes it something I don't lose sleep over.

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 07:31:29 PM »

Just the fact that they use the word "wafer" shows me that they were never Orthodox.  There is no Orthodox jurisdiction that uses wafers.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 08:19:52 PM »

Pedro,

Here is more info:

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/chrysostom_1.htm

james

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 09:21:40 PM »

Just the fact that they use the word "wafer" shows me that they were never Orthodox.  There is no Orthodox jurisdiction that uses wafers.  

Hmmm...well, I'm about to backpeddle on my own prior post...the Western Rite Orthodox do, in fact, use levened wafers...but the chances of this site basing their (most likely) careless comment on one of these twenty-some-odd parishes are slim-to-none.

Jakub,

Thanks for the link.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 10:50:48 PM »

Prosze bardzo

jb

Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 10:28:32 AM »

My experience is that these organizations usually come from an evangelical background and are usually run by people who have never been members of the group  they say they are the "Ex"es of or they are converts who quickly became disaffected and hop into another church never fully experiencing the denomination they are the "ex"es of.  We have made it now we join the other "Ex"----- for Jesus club----I am aware of Ex Catholics for Jesus, Ex Episopalians for Jesus, Ex Lutherans for Jesus, not to mention the well Known Jews for Jesus (One group that I am aware of in El Paso calling itself a Messianic Jewish Congregation was founded by a Christian who found his Jewish roots after becoming a pastor of the Four Square Gospel Church and having left the church of his Mexican American Catholic mother).

After they gain some converts from the church they are attacking they post their conversion stories and will eventually put them on their boards od govenors but essentially at the outset they are usually evangelical pastors seeking a new mission field to save and are not worth the problems they will cause as wolves in sheep clothing to those who are struggling with Orthodoxy and looking for a way out by justifying their actions.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 10:35:26 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Grigorii

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

St. Evagrios of Pontos

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 05:07:56 AM »

Hmmm these folks also seem to have a very peculiar view of history:

. Origen was a follower of Arius.  Origen denied that man was born in original sin, and further Origen believed that the Humanity of Jesus Christ was also to be worshipped.

1) Origen lived BEFORE Arius 3d century), and died somewhere around the 260-ies, whereas Arius lived in the 4th century and died shortly after the Nicene Council (324).

And do I notice they reject worshipping Jesus' humanity? Does this not make them Nestorian heretics? Their jesus seems to be a schizo, not at all the One Jesus Christ we know to be the Incarnate Word of God.

This also explains why Origen was excommunicated. He was known to be attempting to fraudulently change the Manuscripts. The Early  Church  knew this, they held him accountable, and Origen was excommunicated. The Early  Church  in Egypt  was profoundly affected by Origen.

Rather, St. Demetrios (his bishop) excommunicateds him for two reasons 1) his alleged self-castration 2) his having been ordained priest by another Bishop under whose jurisdiction he did not belong. Once again their historical accuracy is uhm,.. flawed (to put it nicely).

Eusebius (the Mentor to the Emperor Constantine) was a follower of Arius and Origen.

Assuming they are referring to Eusebius of Ceasarea and not Eusebius of Nicomedia (who was indeed a staunch unrepentant Arian, and who baptized Emperor Constantine) , they are once again wrong. Eusebius signed the definition of Nicea, out of conviction, not by force or fear. The only reluctance he (and many others at the time) had was the fact that the term "homoousios" had been used heretically by Valentinus the Gnostic and Paul of Samosata, and that it might imply God to be "material" for the Greek word "ousia" simply means substance. It was not until the great St. Athanasius of Alexandria (who took his basic christological teaching precisely from Origen) that the true significance and deeply spiritual truth of the Nicene definition came to be recognized and developed.

Eusebius was a follower of Origen, yes, just like Sts. Athanasios, Basil the Great and Gregorios the Theologian (who compiled a "Philokalia" of Origen which is till extant), Gregorios of Nyssa, Maximos the Confessor, etc etc. But Eusebius was not a follower of Arius, nor were the mentioned saints who also followed Origen's christology and trinitarianism.

Eusebius persuaded Constantine to Establish a Church Council in 325 at Nicea. After this was done, Eusebius used the power of the Roman Empire  to create his own official Church Denomination, which was the Roman Catholic Church.

Actually,.. None of the Eusebiuses of the day did so,.. the advisor to the Emperor concerning matters of the Church was Hosius of Cordoba, and the suggestion to a Council (to which the Church was somewhat accustomed) came from Hosius. Also Eusebius NEVER founded a Church,.. Nor could he have,..and certainly not the Roman Catholic Church (the See of which resides in Rome and not Ceasarea or Constantinopel). Also,.. the RC as separated from the Orthodox Church did not exist until her popes lead her into the schism of 1054.

And In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the doctrines of the Early Christians were altered and changed by the Church Councils that came AFTER the first 6 Early Church Councils.

From what I've read, these people are hardly qualified to make this judgment. They have shown a very poor if not completely confused and erratic knowledge of Church History, and they consequently fail to grasp the teachings of the Councils. So much so, that they seem to have fallen prey to the heresy of Nestorianism!

Their errors are easily understood however, if one considers that the only knowledge they have of Church History is that which they have gleaned from reading the backflaps of the various volumes on the subject without paying too much attention even to that. No stupidity and ignorance are as poisenous and as incurable as are willfull stupidity and ignorance. I am afraid these people are what might be called "fools for the devil" and they don't even know it.

Please Note: We do try to be accurate. If you see anything which you believe

Is not correct on our website, please do bring it to our attention.

Puhleeeeezzze,..  Where do we begin? Their inaccuracies are so abundant and so intertwined,.. One is at a loss where to begin to correct them! Let us pray God may find a way to do it, so that they may become partakers of the salvation in Jesus Christ they deny themselves.

IC XC

Grigorii
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 05:15:02 AM by Grigorii » Logged

If you have not yet received the charism of prayer or of psalmody, then ask perseveringly, and you will receive!

St. Evagrios of Pontos
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 09:48:23 AM »

Why give them any credence?

It is afterwards that events are best understood
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 05:13:39 PM »

What is up with this outfit ?

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/profile.htm

Check their Eastern Orthodox menu

james

Well....... Sola Scriptura.....This site and the views and beliefs expressed by it are just one of the downfalls to Gutenburg's invention.
Rho
Running from dead works to Christ.

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 08:09:55 AM »

Exactly.   Too bad that idea came along 'cause there were never heretics, idiots, or people w/ agendas before that dastardly printing press came into being.

"I have taken my good deeds and my bad deeds and thrown them together in a heap. Then I have fled from both of them to Christ, and in Him I have peace." --David Dickson

Matthew 9:13 - Who is the sinner if not I?
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 08:53:28 AM »

Um...I don't think he said there weren't... Huh

It was just a bad side effect to an otherwise useful invention....

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: