OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:37:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fabric of the Cosmos, PBS  (Read 678 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 31, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »

Acclaimed physicist Brian Greene reveals a mind-boggling reality beneath the surface of our everyday world. Airing 11/2, 11/9, 11/16 and 11/23, at 9pm on PBS
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:17:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

"In a new four-part television special based on his best-selling book, physicist Brian Greene takes on the nature of time and space, multiverses, and other hard-to-wrap-your-mind-around concepts in cosmology. Greene talks with guest host John Dankosky about the new series."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

Fabric: What Is Space?

The Fabric of the Cosmos, Hour 1: Surprising clues indicate that space is very much something and not nothing. Aired 11/2/11 on PBS

Program Description

Space. It separates you from me, one galaxy from the next, and atoms from one another. It is everywhere in the universe. But to most of us, space is nothing, an empty void. Well, it turns out space is not what it seems. From the passenger seat of a New York cab driving near the speed of light, to a pool hall where billiard tables do fantastical things, Brian Greene reveals space as a dynamic fabric that can stretch, twist, warp, and ripple under the influence of gravity. Stranger still is a newly discovered ingredient of space that actually makes up 70 percent of the universe. Physicists call it dark energy, because while they know it's out there, driving space to expand ever more quickly, they have no idea what it is....

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This was a very well-produced and informative program.  Science never ceases to amaze me, how they are getting more and more deeper into third-eye exploration.  I was intrigued by the conclusion which supports the Buddhist concept of "maya" when they suggested that all of physical reality is merely a kind of almost hologram projection from an original two-dimensional source.  In fact, what was weird is that this model suggests that the actual Universe is finite, and surrounding what we perceive of the Universe like a dome or sphere, almost exactly the way the Ancients viewed the Cosmos, interesting how we've come full circle.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This was a very well-produced and informative program.
Yes, it was. But Brian Greene's voice is not as deep and resonant as Carl Sagan's. Cool

Plus, early on in the program, Greene says that everything we see is made up of atoms or subatomic particles. Well, that's not entirely true. I can see an image of a rabbit "in my head", but that image is not made up of atoms -- or is it? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:19:07 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »

This was a very well-produced and informative program.
Yes, it was. But Brian Greene's voice is not as deep and resonant as Carl Sagan's. Cool

Plus, early on in the program, Greene says that everything we see is made up of atoms or subatomic particles. Well, that's not entirely true. I can see an image of a rabbit "in my head", but that image is not made up of atoms -- or is it? Roll Eyes

Preaching to the Choir, bring back Neal DeGrasse Tyson instead, or even Peter Coyote, but anything but Brian Greene, I just can't seem to take his voice seriously.

I also miss the original narrator for Frontline, this new guy has none of the theatrical style and pageantry, and his tone is simply way to cutting and antagonistic, sounding unintentionally biased.

And actually, if you see an image in your head it is STILL composed of atoms and particles, just those particles which compose the neurochemicals and pathways of our brains Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:18:55 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: