OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:30:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Use of the Creed  (Read 486 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:46 AM »

In all our Liturgies, we recite or sing the Creed before the beginning of the Eucharist proper.  But the form of the Creed varies among our traditions.  For the most part, the Copts (and Ethiopians?) seem to keep the original Creed as formulated at Nicaea and Constantinople, while the Syrians (and Indians) have a slightly different wording in two or three different places (e.g., "was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary Mother of God", "rose from the dead according to his will", "and in the Holy Spirit...who spoke through the prophets and the apostles"). 

But the Armenians use a version with a number of interpolations, which I can't remember right now.  I am quite fond of a lot of the prayers in their Liturgy, particularly in the anaphora and in the prayer before the Our Father, and this form of the Creed is no exception (and they kept the anathema in!).  But it seems unique in our tradition, and seems like it's trying to cover the bases on a number of theological issues that may (?) have come up in Armenian history.  Where can I read more about the history of this form of the Creed?  Or do any of the learned members here know?     

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:37:39 AM »

I recall vasnTearn saying that the Armenian version of the Creed was based on a different baptismal creed than everyone else's.  If I find the comment, I'll link it.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »

I think this is what I was thinking of:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25516.msg400900.html#msg400900

It seems we use an old version of the Creed from Jerusalem.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

Thanks, Salpy.  Before I posted the question, I hesitated, thinking "maybe I should search for this topic in past posts".  I decided to post it anyway, assuming that it was such an arcane question surely it hasn't been covered before.  Of course, you know what they say about those who assume...  Wink

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »

the Armenian version

Sounds lovely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRncucNpd_s

Some Western versions of the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed have certain embellishments, for instance the Mozarabic (Spanish) Creed, which is where the Filioque was inserted first (among other benign glosses). It's also in the plural - "We believe".  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:10:52 AM by Romaios » Logged
Tags: The Creed Nicene Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: