OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 08:18:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godparent for a child?  (Read 615 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: October 30, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »

Greetings all, it's been a while (3rd baby was born, and I've been in the process of opening a gym up here in NY, hopefully the first of a number here and in Russia...),

Our youngest, Nadia, is to be baptized next week, and we're having a lot of trouble with the issue of Godparents. We will be in NY for a little over half of the year for at least a few years going forward, between this new biz and my baseball coaching gig, and we know exactly nobody who is committed Orthodox well at all that lives within 500 miles of us. We have Orthodox close friends in Russia, and in California (who we met in Russia).

Our options seem to be to either ask someone that we really don't know well at all, here in NY, or to ask someone in Russia that we may not see much of for most of the next few years, at least. The Godparents for our other 2 kids are in Russia, but this was because we were living there at the time of their baptisms, and they had RC godparents with whom they had relationships from before in the US, who we still felt, and feel, can provide a lot of good spiritual guidance and example to them, despite our little schism.

Have any of you been in this situation?

Thanks, good to be on the board,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »

Maybe you'll find someone from our board there?

I'm serious.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »

Congratulations on your good news.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: