OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants, what do you think of this?  (Read 1431 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

If these "Prophecies" have come true, then that would mean the next pope will be the last...

If Peter Turkson is elected pope, would that warrant a fulfillment of the prophecy?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »

If these "Prophecies" have come true, then that would mean the next pope will be the last...

If Peter Turkson is elected pope, would that warrant a fulfillment of the prophecy?

I'm not sure why Peter Cardinal Turkson is being singled out specifically--he is one papabile among many. In case, it is impossible to say whether or not the prophecy is authentic--even assuming the prophecy is authentic, God is certainly capable of changing the future.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »

It's funny, there is this nutty fundamentalist author who uses this prophecy to say Rowan Williams will be Peter II because he sligtly resembles the icon of St. Peter at Saint Katherine's monastery on Mt. Sinai.

The other Popes in the prophecy are referred to by their regnal names. Whoever get's elected, I seriously doubt he'd style himself Peter II, the idea is kind of taboo in the Vatican AFAIK.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »

Exactly. No one else is allowed to adopt the name Peter after ordination as Pope. It'd have to be something else. Sorry.  Smiley The 'last' Pope, whomever that is, will be named something else.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:17:31 AM »

Exactly. No one else is allowed to adopt the name Peter after ordination as Pope. It'd have to be something else. Sorry.  Smiley The 'last' Pope, whomever that is, will be named something else.
Care to cite the canon or dogmatic constitution on that one?

After he accepts his election, he can take any name he wants (even if he was a layman: the Vatican has never sorted out the transmission of the "manus" something of a problem in view of this in LG
But when either the Roman Pontiff or the Body of Bishops together with him defines a judgment, they pronounce it in accordance with Revelation itself, which all are obliged to abide by and be in conformity with, that is, the Revelation which as written or orally handed down is transmitted in its entirety through the legitimate succession of bishops and especially in care of the Roman Pontiff himself, and which under the guiding light of the Spirit of truth is religiously preserved and faithfully expounded in the Church.
If the legitimate succession of pontiffs transmits Revelation, then the lack of an official list of said succession, and the revisions to the ones usually in use, are a problem. Anyway, we had a thread here on a pope elected, who changed the rules of succession, and then died before his consecration as a bishop).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:24:33 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

For me, the provenance is just too questionable; and listing a last Pope is too much like "picking a date" of the Second Coming. IIRC, I heard a rather thorough debunking of these prophecies on EWTN on one of the call-in programs within the last six months. I couldn't find it, but there is this brief comment: http://www.ewtn.com/JohnPaul2/_mourning/forum/vq_detail.asp?ID=435255&pgnu=2

For me, the alleged Papal Prophecies of St. Malachy are just too "Coast to Coast A.M." Sorry.

"Who touches, is also touched"
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »

oh, the end of the world again.
 Roll Eyes
probably the antichrist will come from a country with a large population and a great movie industry.
maybe the mayan prophecies are right and it's 2012 (great movie by the way!)
maybe the pope is the antichrist (i met people who actually believe this!!??)
 Huh
or maybe we can calm down and busy ourselves with being more like Jesus Christ so when it actually happens, we will be ready.
 Wink

edit: just to make it crystal clear - the pope is not / will not be the antichrist, the key to the end of the world or anything like that. he is / will be a man with a lot of responsibility who needs our prayers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:09:09 PM by mabsoota » Logged
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »

Of this folly George MacDonald has written well. “Do those,” he asks, “who say, Lo here or lo there are the signs of his coming, think to be too keen for him and spy his approach? When he tells them to watch lest he find them neglecting their work, they stare this way and that, and watch lest he should succeed in coming like a thief! Obedience is the one key of life. - C.S. Lewis, The World’s Last Night

Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:35:57 PM by zekarja » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

For me, the provenance is just too questionable; and listing a last Pope is too much like "picking a date" of the Second Coming. IIRC, I heard a rather thorough debunking of these prophecies on EWTN on one of the call-in programs within the last six months. I couldn't find it, but there is this brief comment: http://www.ewtn.com/JohnPaul2/_mourning/forum/vq_detail.asp?ID=435255&pgnu=2

For me, the alleged Papal Prophecies of St. Malachy are just too "Coast to Coast A.M." Sorry.
Agreed.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 05:53:48 PM »

who is that in your avatar? I want to say Francis Turretin, but I could be wrong about that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 05:54:38 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »

who is that in your avatar? I want to say Francis Turretin, but I could be wrong about that.

Arcengelo Corelli. Notice the violin.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »

I love Corelli.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

I find the whole prophesy very interesting and I do read about it from time to time. However, I did find myself wondering that if the prophesy was true and after Peter II came, maybe there are no more popes because they'd realise their error and come back to Orthodoxy which, the office of the Pope, as it is understood now, would vanish.

laugh

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: