OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:39:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Hinduism wrong?  (Read 4212 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »

"An Indian will listen to his guru, nod his head, and go home and, even if he’s a deeply religious person, ignore fifty per cent of what the guru has told him, because his own sense of the world tells him to do that,” an Indian man who is well versed in Yogic culture said to me recently. But Westerners who jump heart first into a cloistered Indian subculture do not always find it easy to distinguish what is spiritual from what is Indian -- or merely the whim of the guru.
-- Lis Harris, “O Guru, Guru, Guru”, The New Yorker, 14 November 1994
Same with Staretz's in ze old cauntree, I bet.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »

Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
By Hieromonk Isaac
pp. 290-292

The Hindu Leader

The Elder helped a lot of people who had gotten mixed up with yoga and Eastern religions.  A Greek man who had once been a leading representative of the Hare Krishna movement recalls his experience with the Elder:  “I first heard of Elder Paisios when I was in Italy.  The leaders of our organization from all the European countries had gathered for a meeting, and it was there that I heard about Father Paisios.  They portrayed him as a yogi who had turned up in Greece, so I decided to go and meet him.

“After coming to Greece and meeting the Elder, I began to realize my error.  When I told the leaders that I wanted to leave the group, they fought me intensely.  Although I had been in charge of the whole organization and traveled all over Europe, I was now afraid just to get on the local bus.  Even the most trivial tasks seemed to be incredibly difficult.  My soul felt paralyzed by pain and fear.  I had given the devil a lot of authority(236) in my life, but the Elder helped me to escape.  If it hadn’t been for him sheltering me with his prayers, I wouldn’t ever have been able to break away from their satanic hold over me.” 

Later, the young man made a public confession of faith in a church in Athens and was received back into the bosom of the Orthodox Church by the mystery of chrismation.

A Disciple of Maharaji

Once, the Elder was visited by a rich man, who, along with his entire family, followed the Hindu guru Maharaji.(237) He had been initiated by the guru, in the argot of the movement, “he had received the Knowledge” – and they had traveled to Europe’s major cities at great expense to see him.

Using his gift of clairvoyance, the Elder related various facts about the man’s own life to him, and he advised him to get a job, even if he didn’t need one, saying that work would do him good.

Impressed by the Elder’s spiritual gifts, the man asked him about meditation and other spiritual techniques.  “Look, my child,” the Elder kindly interrupted him, “techniques don’t matter at all.  You’re trying, but where you’re digging, there’s no gold; there’s just the devil.  The gold is Christ.”

------------------------
Notes:

236.  Literally, “rights”; that is to say, through his participation in demonic activity, the man had brought upon himself the interference of the devil in his life…. –ed. 

237.  Variously known as Balyogeswar Shri Sant Ji Maharaj, Guru Maharaj Ji, Maharaji, and Prem Rawat, the guru inherited in childhood the title of “Perfect Master,” the latest in a series of figures claimed to include Krishna, Buddha, and Jesus Christ.  Though his public image in the West became increasingly secular in the late Seventies, he was originally openly hailed as “The Lord of the Universe” – ed.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:47:42 PM by jah777 » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »

My opinion is this.

There are writings by Hindus that "prove" Christianity wrong.  If you believe in Hinduism, you are naturally going to believe those apologetics more.
Likewise, if you are a Christian, you are naturally going to believe those writings/apologetics more.
Same for Muslim, Pagan, etc.

Many of these religions have the "golden rule" types of teachings, however - withing Christianity it teaches you something often different.

It teaches you to love one another, pray/love those who hate you, forgiveness.
It teaches you to give more to those who have stolen from you, being humble when you have done wrong, and to be separate from the world.
It teaches you of sacraments, that riches are unimportant, and that there is nothing more important than your faith and love for Christ.

Ultimately, by reward from following the teachings of the Christian triune god, that you can achieve a reward of salvation.

"Heaven" is a reward spoken of in many faiths, but the narrow path to get there is much different and more beautiful in Christianity.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »

Dhalsim has the powers of yoga fire and yoga flame.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »

By Hieromonk Isaac
pp. 290-292

The Hindu Leader

The Elder helped a lot of people who had gotten mixed up with yoga and Eastern religions.  A Greek man who had once been a leading representative of the Hare Krishna movement recalls his experience with the Elder:  “I first heard of Elder Paisios when I was in Italy.  The leaders of our organization from all the European countries had gathered for a meeting, and it was there that I heard about Father Paisios.  They portrayed him as a yogi who had turned up in Greece, so I decided to go and meet him.

“After coming to Greece and meeting the Elder, I began to realize my error.  When I told the leaders that I wanted to leave the group, they fought me intensely.  Although I had been in charge of the whole organization and traveled all over Europe, I was now afraid just to get on the local bus.  Even the most trivial tasks seemed to be incredibly difficult.  My soul felt paralyzed by pain and fear.  I had given the devil a lot of authority(236) in my life, but the Elder helped me to escape.  If it hadn’t been for him sheltering me with his prayers, I wouldn’t ever have been able to break away from their satanic hold over me.” 

Later, the young man made a public confession of faith in a church in Athens and was received back into the bosom of the Orthodox Church by the mystery of chrismation.

A Disciple of Maharaji

Once, the Elder was visited by a rich man, who, along with his entire family, followed the Hindu guru Maharaji.(237) He had been initiated by the guru, in the argot of the movement, “he had received the Knowledge” – and they had traveled to Europe’s major cities at great expense to see him.

Using his gift of clairvoyance, the Elder related various facts about the man’s own life to him, and he advised him to get a job, even if he didn’t need one, saying that work would do him good.

Impressed by the Elder’s spiritual gifts, the man asked him about meditation and other spiritual techniques.  “Look, my child,” the Elder kindly interrupted him, “techniques don’t matter at all.  You’re trying, but where you’re digging, there’s no gold; there’s just the devil.  The gold is Christ.”

------------------------
Notes:

236.  Literally, “rights”; that is to say, through his participation in demonic activity, the man had brought upon himself the interference of the devil in his life…. –ed. 

237.  Variously known as Balyogeswar Shri Sant Ji Maharaj, Guru Maharaj Ji, Maharaji, and Prem Rawat, the guru inherited in childhood the title of “Perfect Master,” the latest in a series of figures claimed to include Krishna, Buddha, and Jesus Christ.  Though his public image in the West became increasingly secular in the late Seventies, he was originally openly hailed as “The Lord of the Universe” – ed.

do any of these leaders and disciples have names?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

I find it difficult to  understand how anyone can compare Christianity with Hinduism, or for that matter with any pagan Eastern religion. Christians preach under the authority of Jesus Christ the Son of God, not under their own authority.  When the gurus do so, aren't  they exalting themselves as being equal to God?  Excuse me but isn't this what Lucifer did and wouldn't they be elevating themselves and making themselves a demigod? Huh
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »

By Hieromonk Isaac
pp. 290-292

The Hindu Leader

A Disciple of Maharaji

------------------------
Notes:

According to you the Elder is lying ?
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »

By Hieromonk Isaac
pp. 290-292

The Hindu Leader

The Elder helped a lot of people who had gotten mixed up with yoga and Eastern religions.  A Greek man who had once been a leading representative of the Hare Krishna movement recalls his experience with the Elder:  “I first heard of Elder Paisios when I was in Italy.  The leaders of our organization from all the European countries had gathered for a meeting, and it was there that I heard about Father Paisios.  They portrayed him as a yogi who had turned up in Greece, so I decided to go and meet him.

“After coming to Greece and meeting the Elder, I began to realize my error.  When I told the leaders that I wanted to leave the group, they fought me intensely.  Although I had been in charge of the whole organization and traveled all over Europe, I was now afraid just to get on the local bus.  Even the most trivial tasks seemed to be incredibly difficult.  My soul felt paralyzed by pain and fear.  I had given the devil a lot of authority(236) in my life, but the Elder helped me to escape.  If it hadn’t been for him sheltering me with his prayers, I wouldn’t ever have been able to break away from their satanic hold over me.”  

A Disciple of Maharaji

Impressed by the Elder’s spiritual gifts, the man asked him about meditation and other spiritual techniques.  “Look, my child,” the Elder kindly interrupted him, “techniques don’t matter at all.  You’re trying, but where you’re digging, there’s no gold; there’s just the devil.  The gold is Christ.”

------------------------
Notes:

236.  Literally, “rights”; that is to say, through his participation in demonic activity, the man had brought upon himself the interference of the devil in his life…. –ed.  

237.  Variously known as Balyogeswar Shri Sant Ji Maharaj, Guru Maharaj Ji, Maharaji, and Prem Rawat, the guru inherited in childhood the title of “Perfect Master,” the latest in a series of figures claimed to include Krishna, Buddha, and Jesus Christ.  Though his public image in the West became increasingly secular in the late Seventies, he was originally openly hailed as “The Lord of the Universe” – ed.

The "Maharaji" had the birth name of Prem Pal Singh Rawat.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:15:17 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »

My opinion is this.

There are writings by Hindus that "prove" Christianity wrong.  If you believe in Hinduism, you are naturally going to believe those apologetics more.
Likewise, if you are a Christian, you are naturally going to believe those writings/apologetics more.
Same for Muslim, Pagan, etc.

Many of these religions have the "golden rule" types of teachings, however - withing Christianity it teaches you something often different.

It teaches you to love one another, pray/love those who hate you, forgiveness.
It teaches you to give more to those who have stolen from you, being humble when you have done wrong, and to be separate from the world.
It teaches you of sacraments, that riches are unimportant, and that there is nothing more important than your faith and love for Christ.

Ultimately, by reward from following the teachings of the Christian triune god, that you can achieve a reward of salvation.

"Heaven" is a reward spoken of in many faiths, but the narrow path to get there is much different and more beautiful in Christianity.

Heaven in Christianity is uniting with God in His Kingdom and the only way man can accomplish this is to become like God himself.  In order for man to do so, he has to  know what God consists of, so as man progressed God began  gradually to reveal Himself.

God started revealing Himself first to the Jews and gave  Moses a set of moral laws.  When God felt the time was ripe, He gave man a fuller and more complete 'vision' of what He is by incarnating His Word into the Person of Jesus Christ.  With His Incarnation, God revealed to man that He  was pure unadulterated 'Love' in the only way man could understand, and that was by the sacrifice of His one and only Son.

Since obtaining love by following a set of moral laws and a set of 'do's and don't' is almost an impossibility, man becomes dependant on God for it.   To obtain this 'love' within them, one has to open his heart  to the Holy Spirit and that can only be done when they  recognize their limitations and their dependency on God.   

Christianity is purely a religion of faith.  It can never be understood  through  human faculties alone, but through faith all becomes revealed to us.    angel
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »

"An Indian will listen to his guru, nod his head, and go home and, even if he’s a deeply religious person, ignore fifty per cent of what the guru has told him, because his own sense of the world tells him to do that,” an Indian man who is well versed in Yogic culture said to me recently. But Westerners who jump heart first into a cloistered Indian subculture do not always find it easy to distinguish what is spiritual from what is Indian -- or merely the whim of the guru.
-- Lis Harris, “O Guru, Guru, Guru”, The New Yorker, 14 November 1994
Same with Staretz's in ze old cauntree, I bet.

On a similar note:

"Mr. Martin, now a Zen abbot in Victoria, British Columbia, accused [Buddhist teacher Joshu Sasaki] of a “career of misconduct,” from “frequent and repeated non-consensual groping of female students” to “sexually coercive after-hours ‘tea’ meetings, to affairs,” as well as interfering in his students’ marriages. Soon thereafter, the independent “witnessing council” of noted Zen teachers began interviewing 25 current or former students of Mr. Sasaki.
The witnessing council, which wrote the report, has no official authority. Its members belong to the American Zen Teachers Association but collected stories on their own initiative, although with a statement of support from 45 other teachers and priests. One of its authors, Grace Schireson, said that Zen Buddhists in the United States have misinterpreted a Japanese philosophy.

“Because of their long history with Zen practice, people in Japan have some skepticism about priests,” Ms. Schireson said. But in the United States many proponents have a “devotion to the guru or the teacher in a way that could repress our common sense and emotional intelligence.”

[The LATimes (which is free, as far as I know) also has a story on Sasaki]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:06:45 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: