OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer book English and Russian  (Read 2141 times) Average Rating: 0
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« on: October 29, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »

Recently I stumbled across the "Chlib Dusi"   

The English side is readible but my Russian speaking wife finds the Latinica side too dificult and would rather strugle with the English side.

Anyone know of a side by side English/Russian or English/Slavanic prayer book with the Russian/Slavanic is the Cyrilic alphabet?

Mathe 24:36
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Book-Russian-Believer/dp/B001UAKPPY

Also, the UOC of USA publishes an English/Ukrainian Molitovnik.   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »

I ordered that one.  Hopefully it will be a nice surprise for the wife Smiley

Mathe 24:36
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »

Recently I stumbled across the "Chlib Dusi"   

The English side is readible but my Russian speaking wife finds the Latinica side too dificult and would rather strugle with the English side.

Anyone know of a side by side English/Russian or English/Slavanic prayer book with the Russian/Slavanic is the Cyrilic alphabet?

The earliest know publication of Khlib dushi [Bread for the Soul]),
was compiled by Fr. Oleksander  Dukhnovych, (1803-1865), an Greek Catholic priest in what is now the  Transcarpathia  region of Ukraine.

He wrote in the vernacular with a mixture of  Church Slavonic.

There have been many publications of Orthodox prayerbooks in the US with either Church Slavonic on one side and then the Church Slavonic transliterated into a modern Cyrillic alphabet on the facing page: either in Russian or in Ukrainian.   This enables people to learn prayers and follow the liturgy without having to learn the Church Slavonic alphabet.

I have seen a Ukrainian Orthodox prayerbook consisting of the Divine Liturgy and other daily prayers published in 1975 in New York.  This version has the Church Slavonic in the modern Ukrainian Cyrillic alphabet on one side of the page and English on the other side.

I have also seen a version with English on one side and the Church Slavonic transliterated into the Latin alphabet on the other side which may be the same one you mentioned.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

Do these prayer books include the Divine Liturgy, or are there alternative options for this?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »

Do these prayer books include the Divine Liturgy, or are there alternative options for this?
I am at work & do not have it in front of me but as best I remember:
1) Morning prayers
2) Evening prayers
common prayers like the Creed
3) Divine Liturgy
I am hoping someone is collecting all the older copies and putting them in archives somewhere for future scholars.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: