OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:28:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adolf Hitler in Custody Battle  (Read 1539 times) Average Rating: 0
jewish voice
High Elder

« on: October 28, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »

http://www.inquisitr.com/154741/adolf-hitler-in-custody-battle/

So what do you guys think should the state be able to step in on matters of this kind like they did
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »

So what do you guys think should the state be able to step in on matters of this kind like they did
Is a name like that any more cruel to the child than allowing him (or her) to be adopted by a gay couple?

(How's that for bringing the two "H" words into one thread  Cheesy?)

I don't like that name - for several reasons easily guessed - but the state seems to have its own mind about what is and isn't right. I don't know how they could make it illegal without also outlawing a lot of other names. I fear the New Jersey authorities are creating more problems than they're solving. But at least it gives them justification for their jobs  Tongue.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »

Is a name like that any more cruel to the child than allowing him (or her) to be adopted by a gay couple?

(How's that for bringing the two "H" words into one thread  Cheesy?)

I don't like that name - for several reasons easily guessed - but the state seems to have its own mind about what is and isn't right. I don't know how they could make it illegal without also outlawing a lot of other names. I fear the New Jersey authorities are creating more problems than they're solving. But at least it gives them justification for their jobs  Tongue.
One of those cases where the state thinks they know better how to raise kids than the parents.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »

State don't allow that in Germany.

All names get State approved.

After 9/11 no more Osama Bin Laden for example.

Frankly, it would be a nice check on some of the most narcissistic names I hear kids running around today with.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

Frankly, it would be a nice check on some of the most narcissistic names I hear kids running around today with.

"There oughta be a law against that!" What happens when we say, "There oughta be a law against you!"?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:58:47 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

"There oughta be a law against that!" What happens when we say, "There oughta be a law against you!"?

You do realize the logical fallacy here? You of all people.

And of course, you also missed the light irony, there is more to rhetoric than a collection of patterns of reasoning.

Who wouldn't be for a law against me? I would hope you would take the reigns on that one. Think of the kittens . . . not to mention the buttons . . .

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:04:52 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »

You do realize the logical fallacy here? You of all people.
What I said was meant to be logical? When I want to be logical, I try very hard to be logical. I'm not Spock, though.

And of course, you also missed the light irony, there is more to rhetoric than a collection of patterns of reasoning.
Do you ever think that you might be too sophisticated for an Internet discussion board the likes of this?

Who wouldn't be for a law against me? I would hope you would take the reigns on that one. Think of the kittens . . . not to mention the buttons . . .
You eat kittens? Shocked
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »

Well, the state may think it has a vested interest in not having the kid get the cr-- kicked out of him when he gets older. He's really in for it, on the playground.  Cry Plus, if his parents are that weird, what else is going on?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »

Well, the state may think it has a vested interest in not having the kid get the cr-- kicked out of him when he gets older. He's really in for it, on the playground.  Cry Plus, if his parents are that weird, what else is going on?
But why is it the state's business if nothing has happened yet?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

Didn't Johnny Cash write a song about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gbtm-93oqE

Proverbs 22:7
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:03 PM »

For three years, DoCS (the Department of Community Services or the Department of Child Stealing, depending on your point of view) was my primary client and, if that experience taught me anything, it is that parents should be allowed to give their children the most heinous, offensive names imaginable: it actually saves a lot of time in trying to determine whether the child is at risk of all sorts of other abuse, as a complete lack of taste sadly seems to be correlated with abuse and neglect.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 09:59:48 AM »

I realize the stickiness of this position, but I highly support restrictions on what parents should be allowed to name their children.  No child should be forced to go through life named Destiny.  Let them grow up, and when they are dancing like Herod's daughter at a bar next to the airport they can change their own name to Destiny or Chastity or something like that.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »

I realize the stickiness of this position, but I highly support restrictions on what parents should be allowed to name their children.  No child should be forced to go through life named Destiny.  Let them grow up, and when they are dancing like Herod's daughter at a bar next to the airport they can change their own name to Destiny or Chastity or something like that.
In which case the destiny is not likely chastity  Wink.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »

But what business is it of yours to intrude into someone else's family life to tell them what they can or cannot name their children?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »

But what business is it of yours to intrude into someone else's family life to tell them what they can or cannot name their children?

1- Humor and mockery of silliness makes everyone's personal business my own.  Unless they keep it so secret I have not heard of it, or if they make it so boring that I would rather not have heard about it.

2- Business of mine or business of the States?  In the US, probably nothing would make it the State's business.  In other countries this is not the case as the States have made it their business.  According to Wikipedia, that incorruptible font of knowledge, in Poland a name must indicate sex, in Sweden it cannot be offensive, and in Japan names must use accepted pictograms (thus The Artist Formerly Known as Prince sign would not be a legal name).  What makes this their business?  I will have to go with the old standby - the State's monopoly on violence. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: