OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and eating pork  (Read 17347 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 28, 2011, 05:42:13 PM »

I can remember as a little kid going to the non-denominational church and the pastor telling us not to eat pork because it's somewhere in the Bible.  Since then, I've never really eaten pork.

Are there any Church cannons about consuming pork?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »

I can remember as a little kid going to the non-denominational church and the pastor telling us not to eat pork because it's somewhere in the Bible.  Since then, I've never really eaten pork.

Acts 10:9-16 not good enough for you? Wink

To my knowledge, the Old Testament restrictions against eating pork were rules specifically governing ritual cleanliness and were intended to be applied only to the Jews. Just as St. Paul and the Jerusalem Council of Acts 15 recognized that circumcision was not necessary for the Gentiles, so also the restrictions against eating pigs' flesh. We are Gentiles, not Jews, therefore we are bound by no restriction against eating pork.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:55:07 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »

I can remember as a little kid going to the non-denominational church and the pastor telling us not to eat pork because it's somewhere in the Bible.  Since then, I've never really eaten pork.

Orthodox Christians don't abstain from pork in particular, or follow most of the other kosher dietary observances. If you ate any shrimp recently you broke some OT laws too. It's generally believed that the New Testament did away with the Old Testament dietary laws.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »

.... and with the amount of pork Russians, Serbs and other Slavs eat, they'd be in BIG trouble by now if eating pork was not allowed.  laugh
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »

I had a feeling, thank you all! Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

.... and with the amount of pork Russians, Serbs and other Slavs eat, they'd be in BIG trouble by now if eating pork was not allowed.  laugh
Yup. Nothing beats a good Christmas ham, bacon and eggs for breakfast, and a pork chop for dinner once in a while. Grin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:29:01 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »

Ethiopian Orthodox do not eat pork, I think.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »

And this would make sense given Jewish heritage.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »

Wow. Judaising heretic, much?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

Do really want to know what the Church Canons say on everything?

Trevor, you my friend need not worry about such minutia. You have a meek and loving spirit.

If anyone around here is doing the will of God, it is probably you.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
jewish voice
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »

All them pic's are just nasty and gross  Sad I don't touch the stuff and don't plan on ever doing so. There is nothing wrong if you want to keep away from things I just would tell you not to tell others what to do or point out things in the bible or they will get mad   police
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »

Do really want to know what the Church Canons say on everything?

Trevor, you my friend need not worry about such minutia. You have a meek and loving spirit.

If anyone around here is doing the will of God, it is probably you.

Indeed.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »

Please tell me you're not calling Trevor a heretic...
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:40:54 PM »

If I had a dime...       I consider the people at my old Church very much heretical, so I guess I was one before being illuminated by the truth Smiley

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:50:47 PM »

ISTM akimori was calling the non-denominational pastor a Judaising heretic, not Trevor.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 01:08:39 AM »

Just to clarify, you're speaking of the pastor and not Trevor, right?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »

Correct. This is stems from our Church's Judaic roots, but it is not a matter of legalism for us. As for the argument from Acts that "all things are clean," please remember that this was an analogy used to demonstrate the fact that our salvation does not depend upon what we eat or don't eat. But it was not a magical occurrence that literally made all things "clean". Otherwise, pork would no longer contain trichinosis, and rats and roaches would no longer carry disease. It is also worth noting that when our Lord cast out the demons from the possessed boy, He sent them into a herd of swine. So I would personally recommend that you don't eat pork. But that's just my opinion.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:37:41 AM »

Sorry, guys. The longer I am with you all, the less careful I am with my words, trusting in your charity.

Yes, indeed, I was accusing Trevor's ex-pastor of the Judaising heresy (not Trevor!).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:32 AM »

Don't also Coptic Christians retain the prohibition against eating pork?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »

As for the argument from Acts that "all things are clean," please remember that this was an analogy used to demonstrate the fact that our salvation does not depend upon what we eat or don't eat. But it was not a magical occurrence that literally made all things "clean".

Our salvation does not depend upon not eating pork but pork is still somehow unclean?

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »

Pork is still unhealthy, and I would say so is eating much red meat in general. What about some vegetables, guys? That doesn't mean everyone has to be vegetarian, but eating a pound of meat a day really isn't normal...

Is pork the only unhealthy meat? What about rabbit?

I also wonder if Ethiopian Christians abstain only from pork or from every animal listed as unclean in the Torah. 

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »

Correct. This is stems from our Church's Judaic roots, but it is not a matter of legalism for us. As for the argument from Acts that "all things are clean," please remember that this was an analogy used to demonstrate the fact that our salvation does not depend upon what we eat or don't eat. But it was not a magical occurrence that literally made all things "clean". Otherwise, pork would no longer contain trichinosis, and rats and roaches would no longer carry disease. It is also worth noting that when our Lord cast out the demons from the possessed boy, He sent them into a herd of swine. So I would personally recommend that you don't eat pork. But that's just my opinion.

Selam

As others have pointed out, it's part of the tradition of the gentile cultures in the Church to eat pork.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

Don't also Coptic Christians retain the prohibition against eating pork?
I am a Copt and I have never been told that we were restricted from eating pork. However, being that Egypt is a mostly Muslim country, Copts in their homeland usually don't eat pork (regularly, anyway), but it is out of habit and not prohibition. Plus, the pigs were all killed, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:02:57 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »

However, being that Egypt is a mostly Muslim country, Copts in their homeland usually don't eat pork, but it is out of habit and not prohibition.
It is because the government had all of the pigs killed.

As others have pointed out, it's part of the tradition of the gentile cultures in the Church to eat pork.
Not all of them.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »

However, being that Egypt is a mostly Muslim country, Copts in their homeland usually don't eat pork, but it is out of habit and not prohibition.
Of course I realize that. But even prior to that unfortunate event I do not think you would see too many Copts eat pork. My family has never been in the habit of doing so, at least.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »

Of course I realize that. But even prior to that unfortunate event I do not think you would see too many Copts eat pork. My family has never been in the habit of doing so, at least.

Do you eat bacon?
Yes, yummy! Smiley

What I am trying to say is that in, let's say, Egypt (prior to the mass-slaughter of the pigs) Copts weren't really in the habit of eating pork. And when I said "my family", I meant my family while they lived in Egypt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:53:45 PM by Severian » Logged

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »

I wonder why that is. I guess it became socially taboo when Islam took over?

Also, does anyone know if the Indian Orthodox eat pork or beef?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »

I wonder why that is. I guess it became socially taboo when Islam took over?
I do not think it is a matter of taboo, or anything like that. But Copts are only about 10% of the Egyptian population, and when 90% of the country is prohibited from eating pork you just wouldn't have the opportunity to eat it, really.

However, there probably was it least some pork industry in Egypt prior to the pig cull, I just don't think it was really mainstream practice to eat pork, even among Copts, from what I can tell.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:05:37 PM by Severian » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »

I don't eat pork unless I'm a guest somewhere and it's what's for dinner. I really don't like the taste. Too salty and heavy. Same with bacon. (Though if you have bacon for dinner, I suppose saltiness is the least of your problems.)

I too have never heard of the Copts being disallowed from eating pork, but just the same our Agape meal is always chicken and some sort of salad. I don't think they'd appreciate that being messed with.

And Ethiopians do vegetables, chicken, and lamb so well that who in their right mind would miss pork?!

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »

Who's suggesting that anyone is going to eat nothing but pork? This is a thread about pork, not about vegetables. That means the main--if not only--subject of discussion will be the eating of pork. I'm sure most of us here also eat vegetables, but we're not discussing that here, since it's not germane to the discussion about the eating of pork.

With all due respect, but I think in an Orthodox discussion about eating pork, we should also discuss whether eating pork is "useful", as the apostle said. And my point simply was that it is preferrable to folloe a diet with no, or at least with little pork.

Another aspect should be whether it is desirable to kill animals, including pigs, for food. Clearly, this is not forbidden, but it is not an ideal either. EO monastics completely abtain from meat, for example. So if anyone here wants to practice "lay monasticism", he or she might consider doing the same.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

Who's suggesting that anyone is going to eat nothing but pork? This is a thread about pork, not about vegetables. That means the main--if not only--subject of discussion will be the eating of pork. I'm sure most of us here also eat vegetables, but we're not discussing that here, since it's not germane to the discussion about the eating of pork.

With all due respect, but I think in an Orthodox discussion about eating pork, we should also discuss whether eating pork is "useful", as the apostle said. And my point simply was that it is preferrable to folloe a diet with no, or at least with little pork.

Another aspect should be whether it is desirable to kill animals, including pigs, for food. Clearly, this is not forbidden, but it is not an ideal either. EO monastics completely abtain from meat, for example. So if anyone here wants to practice "lay monasticism", he or she might consider doing the same.

Good points. Avoiding legalism does not mean that we should become licentious. We have a Christian responsibility to consider the physical, psychological, environmental, and humanitarian ramifications of what we eat.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »

copts are allowed to eat pork. just it's never been very popular, it's a bit like eating cheap sausages when u could have a nice steak instead, it was never trendy.
and in egypt, the government used the swine flu scare to kill lots of pigs. the Christians that were living off that trade were poor people whose pigs lived on eating garbage, so there were people in government happy to put them out of business.
it got rid of some pigs and hurt the Christians at the same time, so it was an efficient way to carry out government business.

as for chicken, if u eat it, u should insist on free-range chicken, or at least chicken that has plenty of room to move about the barn. it's keeping chickens in ridiculously overcrowded conditions that makes them aggressive, they are not naturally like that.
actually the same applies to humans (anyone been to london/paris/any other big city?!)  Wink

ethiopians and eritreans don't eat pork, whatever their religion (unless they are doing it secretly when granny is not looking). we had ham in my previous coptic church once, and my teenage friend was arguing with his mum about eating it. she didn't let him.
personally, i do eat meat, but i prefer some nice beans...
 Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »

But how does any of the last several posts address the subject of the OP?
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »

It is a tangent where people seemed to being enjoying themselves for the rare time around here without arguing and it started in relation to eating pork.

And shouldn't Christians spend more time getting along and getting know to each other as people and not just arguments?

So the first sentence covers the pork part, and the latter the Christian part.

Where is the harm?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »

Also, does anyone know if the Indian Orthodox eat pork or beef?
Good question!

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30:14 AM »

I imagine that crack cocaine is quite good too, and since "all things are clean" then why not indulge now and then? Sure, some people become addicted, but many people apparently smoke crack in moderation. Let's not be "fundies" here. And why abstain simply because it is illegal? I mean, that's just some fundamentalist law enacted by a puritanical society that we Orthodox Christians know better than to enslave ourselves to. I say, "Throw some ribs on the grill and light up the crack pipe!"

(For those who may not understand, please know that my comments are purely "tongue in cheek.")

Selam
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:45:56 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »

I imagine that crack cocaine is quite good too, and since "all things are clean" then why not indulge now and then? Sure, some people become addicted, but many people apparently smoke crack in moderation. Let's not be "fundies" here. And why abstain simply because it is illegal? I mean, that's just some fundamentalist law enacted by a puritanical society that we Orthodox Christians know better than to enslave ourselves to. I say, "Throw some ribs on the grill and light up the crack pipe!"

(For those who may not understand, please know that my comments are purely "tongue in cheek.")

Selam
Even for comments that are purely tongue-in-cheek, I still find it disturbing to the extreme that you would equate the eating of pork with the smoking of crack.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

Selam
Even for comments that are purely tongue-in-cheek, I still find it disturbing to the extreme that you would equate the eating of pork with the smoking of crack.

I agree. The entire post seems to have been written in poor taste.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »

Selam

I agree. The entire post seems to have been written in poor taste.

pun intended?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »

It is a tangent
Which means it's off topic.
TITL

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »

Mabsoota,

I have never met a Coptic Vegetarian before. You're giving the devil nothing to tempt you with during the fasts!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

Posts not suitable to this section were moved to Other Topics.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »

Selam

It's called using an extreme example to make a point. So first, lighten up  my friend; and second, deal with the argument. Of course, I don't really care whether or not other people eat pork. Like I said earlier, it's not a matter of legalism for us.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »

Mabsoota,

I have never met a Coptic Vegetarian before. You're giving the devil nothing to tempt you with during the fasts!

...Gumdrops?  Wink
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

Selam

It's called using an extreme example to make a point. So first, lighten up  my friend; and second, deal with the argument. Of course, I don't really care whether or not other people eat pork. Like I said earlier, it's not a matter of legalism for us.

Selam

In this case, it's a bad example, because Acts 10 clearly shows that " all kinds of four-footed animals" are clean to eat. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: