OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OWS kitchen stops making food for "freeloaders'  (Read 1799 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 27, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

"The Occupy Wall Street volunteer kitchen staff launched a “counter” revolution yesterday -- because they’re angry about working 18-hour days to provide food for “professional homeless” people and ex-cons masquerading as protesters.

For three days beginning tomorrow, the cooks will serve only brown rice and other spartan grub instead of the usual menu of organic chicken and vegetables, spaghetti bolognese, and roasted beet and sheep’s-milk-cheese salad."

For a bunch of revolutionary Marxists, they certainly are eating remarkably well. And, oddly enough, they seem to have a very circumscribed definition of 'sharing the wealth'.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:33:29 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »

There are always two sides.

The quality of the food at Occupy Wall Street has been well documented, but meals there will morph on Friday to more simple fare like rice and beans for three days -- not to dissuade undesirable elements from partaking, as the New York Post reported on Thursday, but simply to give the kitchen a chance to get organized, members of the food committee said. "No, no, no, we just need a chance to get organized," said food committee member Megan Hayes, when asked about the Thursday story.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-kitchen-denies-starving-out-vagrants/44200/

Also, it's not very hard or expensive to eat "well" (ie flavorful and nutritious food), even in bulk.  All you have to do is cook it.  Sadly, most Americans eat like crap and are too stuck in their ways to break out of their own culinary prison.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:27:18 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »

sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:26:11 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

"The Occupy Wall Street volunteer kitchen staff launched a “counter” revolution yesterday -- because they’re angry about working 18-hour days to provide food for “professional homeless” people and ex-cons masquerading as protesters.

For three days beginning tomorrow, the cooks will serve only brown rice and other spartan grub instead of the usual menu of organic chicken and vegetables, spaghetti bolognese, and roasted beet and sheep’s-milk-cheese salad."

For a bunch of revolutionary Marxists, they certainly are eating remarkably well. And, oddly enough, they seem to have a very circumscribed definition of 'sharing the wealth'.
Since I won't bother to click on the source, I will assume the information appeared in the last issue of Touchstone.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

Since I won't bother to click on the source, I will assume the information appeared in the last issue of Touchstone.

You assume wrong--it is the NY Post, the official organ of the arch-enemy. BTW, you have a cute quotation in Spanish that adorns your postings. How do you best say it in English? I took a stab at it and it is coming out:

I want my  blood to flow easily,
and always be seen first,
I can not be wrong, comrades,
my love is the Communist Party,
my love is the Communist Party.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »

The quality of the food at Occupy Wall Street has been well documented, but meals there will morph on Friday to more simple fare like rice and beans for three days -- not to dissuade undesirable elements from partaking, as the New York Post reported on Thursday, but simply to give the kitchen a chance to get organized, members of the food committee said. "No, no, no, we just need a chance to get organized," said food committee member Megan Hayes, when asked about the Thursday story.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-kitchen-denies-starving-out-vagrants/44200/

Also, it's not very hard or expensive to eat "well" (ie flavorful and nutritious food), even in bulk.  All you have to do is cook it.  Sadly, most Americans eat like crap and are too stuck in their ways to break out of their own culinary prison.

Or live in culinary ghettos. Thankfully we have one of the largest inner city farmer's markets.

But some places, it ain't easy to get real food. And cheap calories are often the worst for you in those places.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

You assume wrong--it is the NY Post, the official organ of the arch-enemy. BTW, you have a cute quotation in Spanish that adorns your postings. How do you best say it in English? I took a stab at it and it is coming out:

WTH? Do you know what the NY Post is?

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

Of all the folks who post here, I thought that you would have caught on.  Sad

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

Of all the folks who post here, I thought that you would have caught on.  Sad

Sorry my brain is literally pounding from the Christological threads. I mean literally like old people mean it. Literally.

My irometer goes hay-wire under such conditions.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:20 PM »

Or live in culinary ghettos. Thankfully we have one of the largest inner city farmer's markets.

But some places, it ain't easy to get real food. And cheap calories are often the worst for you in those places.

Most everyone in the US can get close enough if they stick to the outside perimeter of their local supermarkets and avoid the middle.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:08:34 PM by Schultz » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »

Hahahahahaha.

Since I won't bother to click on the source, I will assUme the information appeared in the last issue of Touchstone.
got a real hard on for Touchstone.  Pining away for Scînteia?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:20:54 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:24 AM »

Most everyone in the US can get close enough if they stick to the outside perimeter of their local supermarkets and avoid the middle.

The only real food I am aware of that can be consistently obtained, for a reasonable price, in the East Valley (that is, for those outside Arizona, the East Valley of the Phoenix Metropolitan Area) are fresh fruits are vegetables at a particular grocery store/farmer's market-esque thing.  I am completely unaware of any meat or poultry that is reasonably priced and organic in the East Valley.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »

Hahahahahaha.

Since I won't bother to click on the source, I will assUme the information appeared in the last issue of Touchstone.
got a real hard on for Touchstone.  Pining away for Scînteia?

I get all my news from Pravda.  It is the only reliable source.  Back when the Soviet Union and the US were fighting Martians on Mars none of the other newspapers carried it, because they all sold out and were keeping it a secret.  But not Pravda, the forefront of honest journalism!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »

Vamrat, you are behind the times.. Everyone knows that RT is where it's at today!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »

Sorry my brain is literally pounding from the Christological threads.

Yeah, I looked at one either yesterday or the day before, I'm just staying away from it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »

Sorry my brain is literally pounding from the Christological threads.

Yeah, I looked at one either yesterday or the day before, I'm just staying away from it.
LOL I saw the word "taxis" and bailed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »

Vamrat, you are behind the times.. Everyone knows that RT is where it's at today!

RT?  Like Real Time with Bill Maher?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »

RT?  Like Real Time with Bill Maher?
RUSSIA TODAY.

Please watch. You won't regret it, although you will hate that all of their journalists are employed while you are working in X field. You can tell they were all BBC rejects. Plus the graphics are awful.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: