OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 02:47:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muslims Want Catholic School to Provide Room Without Crosses  (Read 7807 times) Average Rating: 0
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:12 AM »

Yeah, right.

"Catholic University has been accused of violating the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers, according to a complaint filed with the Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights.

The 60-page complaint said Muslim students “must perform their prayers surrounded by symbols of Catholicism – e.g., a wooden crucifix, paintings of Jesus, pictures of priests and theologians which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”"

I have a solution for them: don't attend a Christian school.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:12:39 AM by sainthieu » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:36:22 AM »

i thought they respected Jesus and the fact that he died on the cross?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:04 AM »

They say he never died on the cross.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:43:21 AM »

QFT!

I have a phone number they can call: 1-800-WAAAAAA Roll Eyes
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:44:10 AM »

One of the craziest theories ever purported.

Don't they also say he moved the rock with his own hands?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:44:57 AM »

oops ya forgot about that. Well they could just believe he is swooning there instead...
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:24:51 AM »

Looks like the horse might have already bolted.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 04:32:28 AM »

One of the craziest theories ever purported.

Don't they also say he moved the rock with his own hands?

Ahmadiyya sect propagates that claim. Traditional and mainstream Islamic teaching is that Jesus was neither crucified nor killed.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »

oops ya forgot about that. Well they could just believe he is swooning there instead...

Mainstream and traditionally most common Islamic theory is that of Jesus' replacement with Judas Iscariot. This view is also essential to the passion narrative in the medieval Gospel of Barnabas.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Pikhristos Aftonf

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Melbourne

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10:55 AM »

Completely outraged!!! Christians aren't allowed to even study at Alazhar university and that's a state-funded university, unlike the PRIVATE catholic schools and universities. when are westerners going to understand the double standards, hypocrisy and taqqiyah of Islam?
who screams about human rights when churches get burnt?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

Christians aren't allowed to even study at Alazhar university and that's a state-funded university, unlike the PRIVATE catholic schools and universities. when are westerners going to understand the double standards, hypocrisy and taqqiyah of Islam?

So if Muslims discriminate Christians, Christians should discriminate Muslims?

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:16:15 AM »

How is it discrimination to say 'this is a Christian school'?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:32 AM »

How is it discrimination to say 'this is a Christian school'?

I didn't mean that. It would be foolish to remove the crosses just because Muslims are demanding it. I understood that Pikhristos Aftonf was saying that since Christians aren't allowed in Muslim schools Christians shouldn't allow Muslims in Christian schools. That would be discrimination.

It could be though that I misunderstood what he/she was saying.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:26:05 AM by Alpo » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »

The crosses on the wall, wahhh, whatever. I've never been to Catholic (got accepted, but didn't want to live IN DC), but are there really religious symbols in every room?

Anyway, they chose to go there.

Not sure how I feel about them being prevented from starting a campus group, though. It's pretty common knowledge that a lot of students attending religious universities aren't all necessarily of the same religion. Plus, Catholic has allowed a Jewish student association to form, so preventing the Muslims from doing that is just weird. They should either prevent any other religious group from starting up a student group or leave that option on the table.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:33:36 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

Well, as the worm turns.  This is a perfect example of incrementalism.   The nose of the camel inside the tent?  If one is an adult and that adult applies to a Mormon school or a Catholic school that ADULT should understand that it may not comport with his or her personal religious slant.   I suspect that these Muslims have another adgenda ie to cause trouble and to somehow lessen the Catholicity of that school.   Call me paranoid but I see the trends of this religion and it aint pretty.   First it will be the crosses, then prayer time, then special bathrooms for washing their feet, and so on and so on.   

Folks this is what they do............They are at least honest in their intent on disrupting the norm for their sake.  We can show all the love and tolerance in the world for this religion and it will be just thrown aside and ignored.   Look at Egypt today and the problems the Copts are having.   In fact, look at any middle east country that has a Christian minority. 
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »

QFT!

Cheesy

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »

Christians aren't allowed to even study at Alazhar university and that's a state-funded university, unlike the PRIVATE catholic schools and universities. when are westerners going to understand the double standards, hypocrisy and taqqiyah of Islam?

I don't know that anyone has suggested that, but it would be nice if they were told to clean-up the discrimination and oppression in their part of the world before they bewail the injustice of having to gaze upon a crucifix while attending a Christian University in ours.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »

I don't know that anyone has suggested that, but it would be nice if they were told to clean-up the discrimination and oppression in their part of the world before they bewail the injustice of having to gaze upon a crucifix while attending a Christian University in ours.

These Muslims don't have any more control over what you call "their part of the world" than you have over the EP or MP.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

which many Muslim students find inappropriate.”"

Are there "many" Muslim students at Catholic University?

I have a solution for them. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mosques+near+%22Catholic+University%22+Washington+DC
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:28:33 AM by bogdan » Logged
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »

not at all, i am merely showing how two-faced Islam is! In Egypt, students must quote the Qur'an in Arabic exams (i got penalized for not doing that- what a rebel huh!)
Christians aren't allowed to study at a state-funded University! not a private catholic school, No a state University. i don't kid when i say that Christian girls are murdered because they refuse to wear the hijab at PUBLIC schools in Egypt!
its hypocritical to demand one thing and practice the other, and i can't think of a better case of hypocrisy than this.
I am not saying we shouldn't allow Muslims in Christian schools, i am just saying that if they choose to enroll in a Christian school, they have to follow the rules, even if that includes crosses in every square inch of every wall!
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »

What if it was the other was around.  If a group of Christians were attending a school run by a Muslim organization, would it be wrong for them to want to have a prayer group in a room without Muslim symbols?

-   They are talking about the USA, not a foreign place.
-   They are not asking the Muslim symbols be but up instead, they just want a place without any symbols.

I do not think that the school should be forced to give these students what they want; I just think it is not an unreasonable request.
 (I assume that the students live on campus)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:42:21 AM by AWR » Logged
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

it is an unreasonable demand! they have choices of schools, there is no reason to go to a catholic school, and once you are there you must subscribe to the norm! also a school is for learning not prayer, that's what churches and mosques are for!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »

The sophomoric argument, "Because X group of Muslims/Muslim countries do this, we should do it too," is insane. If we are placing our democracy, values, ideals, economic system above every other country, WHY would we stoop down to that level?

Unless you all want to live in a theocracy or a really corrupt monarchy/"democracy" in the Middle East, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

The West, that's us is always too lenient. it is how people are always allowed to trash Christianity with no response, whilst on the otherhand, a foul depiction of Muhammad and the entire Arab world boycotts Sweden. we can't deal with ignorance by appeasement, didn't work with Hitler and not going to work with Islam!
again, there is an established institution, they can't just join it to change it, they have the choice to go to a school that supports their freedom to worship.
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »

The sophomoric argument, "Because X group of Muslims/Muslim countries do this, we should do it too," is insane. If we are placing our democracy, values, ideals, economic system above every other country, WHY would we stoop down to that level?

Unless you all want to live in a theocracy or a really corrupt monarchy/"democracy" in the Middle East, then I apologize for my misunderstanding.

sorry to burst your bubble, but its not a certain group of Muslims. Islam encourages Muslims in power to enslave and overpower people of other religions, it is not a religion, but a political cult! i am not saying all muslims are bad, just the ones that actually follow their religion to its fullness!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »

And they probably want to replace the Crosses with their own pagan symbols.  Well, the only crescent they are getting from me is a full moon.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

Actually, I think it should read  "don't attend a Catholic school"(that actually believes what it preaches)!  There are plenty of Christian schools out there where you would never be able to detect a "Christian" identity.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

And they probably want to replace the Crosses with their own pagan symbols.  Well, the only crescent they are getting from me is a full moon.

laugh
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »

Tell them to put up or shut up!

Antiochian OC N.A.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

The West, that's us is always too lenient. it is how people are always allowed to trash Christianity with no response, whilst on the otherhand, a foul depiction of Muhammad and the entire Arab world boycotts Sweden. we can't deal with ignorance by appeasement, didn't work with Hitler and not going to work with Islam!
again, there is an established institution, they can't just join it to change it, they have the choice to go to a school that supports their freedom to worship.

If you are thinking about the Muhammed drawings, I am sad to say that it was Denmark. I still can't believe that we had to go through all that trouble because of a some drawings. Couldn't they just have burned our flag and then leave it at that?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »

What if it was the other was around.  If a group of Christians were attending a school run by a Muslim organization, would it be wrong for them to want to have a prayer group in a room without Muslim symbols?

-   They are not asking the Muslim symbols be but up instead, they just want a place without any symbols.

I do not think that the school should be forced to give these students what they want; I just think it is not an unreasonable request.

I would not have a problem praying in a room full of Muslim symbols. "Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered..." The only ones that should be upset by Christian prayer in a Muslim place are the demons.
Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »

If you are thinking about the Muhammad drawings, I am sad to say that it was Denmark. I still can't believe that we had to go through all that trouble because of a some drawings. Couldn't they just have burned our flag and then leave it at that?

yes my apologies it as Denmark, the point is: its not Muslims that are violent but Islam. Islam specifically states that Muslims should lie about their faith to make it sound more peaceful and appealing if they are a minority, but once they are a majority its their divinely appointed right to destroy and oppress other religions. its not isolated X groups of Muslims, Its ALL Muslims that practice their religion properly.

I would not have a problem praying in a room full of Muslim symbols. "Let God arise and let his enemies be scattered..." The only ones that should be upset by Christian prayer in a Muslim place are the demons.
there is no possible better way to express this!!! thank you so much! the Imams admit it! the crosses atop the churches were asked to be removed because it hurts us!, when they weren't removed the church was burnt! only demons should be worried about the cleansing of the cross!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

There is another way of looking at all this. I'm supposing that the Muslim students are paying for the privilege of attending this school? It might have been a courtesy in the first place to provide an uncrossed room for their private prayers. If you take folks' money, some catering to their needs might be expected in reciprocation. If they are they receiving eduction via charity, that might be different. Just a thought!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »

There is another way of looking at all this. I'm supposing that the Muslim students are paying for the privilege of attending this school? It might have been a courtesy in the first place to provide an uncrossed room for their private prayers. If you take folks' money, some catering to their needs might be expected in reciprocation. If they are they receiving eduction via charity, that might be different. Just a thought!

This is quite sensible and charitable, but a charge of failing to generously cater to the needs of paying customers is a far cry from the accusation of "violation of human rights".

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »

This is quite sensible and charitable, but a charge of failing to generously cater to the needs of paying customers is a far cry from the accusation of "violation of human rights".

Of course. But things will always blow up out of all proportion. That's why we keep killing each other.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »

QFT!

Seriously. Somebody call the waaaahmbulance to take these kids to the waaaahspital.

All Christian schools should be Islam-free zones outside of comparative religion classes that make it clear that Islam is false. What a world we live in!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:30:12 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »

WHY the double standards? are christians allowed to go to an Islamic school? are christians allowed to eat pork at an islamic school? are christians allowed to eat during ramadan at islamic schools?
if you can answer yes to all the above, then muslims can have their cross-free room!
i insist, islam is double-faced one for the west and one in their own arab countries! Chrisitians are kiled for not wearing hijab, they are jailed for not fasting during ramadan, Qur'an encourages this! some would say : this is not representative of islam, just a small portion of muslims- to you i say "the qur'an teaches muslims that christians are the " children and grandchildren of monkeys and pigs" and are to be "killed wherever you might see them", are these the principles we want at catholic schools?"
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »

Pikhristos Aftonf: The Roman Catholic Church specifically preaches a form of "popular monotheism" as relates to Islam via their Catechism (CCC 841), so they are far kinder to Islam than the other way around.

Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »

yes, i am unfortunately aware, the largest christian body is allowing the devil as a religion, Lord have Mercy!
the west needs to do more! Islam is phasing Christianity out as the dominant religion in Europe, the Americas are the only safe-havens of Christianity at the moment...
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

I wouldn't count on the Roman Catholic Church to do anything positive about that, unfortunately. I know plenty of Maronites, Melkites, and other Eastern Catholics who know better, but they obviously don't call the shots, unfortunately.

The best bet is widespread Orthodox evangelism in the West, of course. Wink

Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

i completely agree, and i have my own theory behind the reasons:
the melkites, Maronites, etc as well as the orthodox such as the copts and syriacs all live in the middle east where they are exposed to the truth of Islam, so when they migrate to a western country they can voice their criticism of the devillish cult! European immigrants on the other hand presuppose that all humans have basic human decency and moral code, and assume that muslims don't have a sinister agenda, that's where the problems arise!
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »

indeed!!! reminds me of this old monk back in Ethio that was also the bell ringer that calls for the morning prayer, and  a few miles from St. Michael Church there is a mosque, and the muzzeyen says ahzzan nearly at the same time, so the monk always tries to be the first one to ring the bell and always says " Let God Arise and Let His enemies be scattered!" and also adds grinning while the azzan is heard a few minutes later,' well if you have to echo it, why not come over and do it the right way with us'  Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »

QFT!

Seriously. Somebody call the waaaahmbulance to take these kids to the waaaahspital.

All Christian schools should be Islam-free zones outside of comparative religion classes that make it clear that Islam is false. What a world we live in!

AMEN!!!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »

Pikhristos Aftonf:

In addition to what you wrote, a lot of Europeans and Americans don't speak Arabic, so they don't know any better and sometimes assume that the bad things the Middle Eastern Christians tell them about Islam are sour grapes or just blind sectarianism or whatever.

Islam knows how to manipulate things to get good PR for itself, and lots of westerners (I feel like this is particularly true of Americans, but maybe others too) like to root for the "underdog", so when their Muslim "friends" talk about the nakba or Sabra and Shatila or whatever, the Westerners think "Oh, poor Muslims! They are so oppressed!" Their Muslim friends don't tell them about the robberies, forced taxes and other intimidation that the Christian communities around Tel al Zaatar were subjected to before that which led to so much tension and calls for the camp to be closed, and much less about the Damour massacre in 1976 that killed 684 civilians at the hands of the PLO and the LNM. Damour was a Christian town, so of course it never comes up...

So, yes...ignorance and manipulation of the sympathies of the well-meaning but naive westerners. Nobody listens to the Middle Eastern Christians, nobody in the West defends their own values or religion, and so Islam continues to grow unabated. Lord have mercy...

Pikhristos Aftonf

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »

this world is not ours! there are no people luckier than the  Christians of the middle-east: crowns of martyrdom, crowns of persecution!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: