OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 03:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Christ's body omnipresent?  (Read 1589 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

This seemed to be the crux of Calvin's rejection of the Real Presence. He believed that for Christ's body to be in more than one place at the same time would represent a blurring of the Human and Divine Natures.

I know Orthodoxy also has the explanation of the Divine Liturgy being a catching up to Heaven, which also seems to me to explain away Calvin's conundrum. But even so, does Orthodoxy teach Christ is bodily everywhere?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »

This seemed to be the crux of Calvin's rejection of the Real Presence. He believed that for Christ's body to be in more than one place at the same time would represent a blurring of the Human and Divine Natures.
Saints can bi-locate.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »

Christ remains fully human and fully God. His human Body is glorified, yet still fully human. He did not cast aside his humanity after the resurrection/ascension. Yet, as God he is present everywhere and "fillest all things".
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »

Christ is omnipresent according to His divinity and circumscribed according to His humanity.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
George_Mina_Awad

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:20:17 AM »

I believe that Christ's divine nature would make Him to be omnipresent, but His human body (I would think) is still subject to physical constraints. I think this is one of the things that makes the sacrament of the Eucharist so unique.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »

Saints can bi-locate.

I don't think this is true. There is either a very quick movement, a spiritual manifestation, or the work of the saint's angel, not an actual being in two places physically at the same time.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »

His resurrected body “ascended into Heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father;
and He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead;
Whose Kingdom shall have no end.”

This is all I know on the subject, but it seems to me that the answer is yes. 
I think this because God (the Father) is everywhere.   But Heaven is not thought of as a just a place here, I think it also is the place where God is both outside His creation and in it. 
And it is always impossible to use the logic of the created world to explain what has not yet been revealed by God about Himself. 

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »

I believe that Christ's divine nature would make Him to be omnipresent, but His human body (I would think) is still subject to physical constraints.

It isn't. He walked throught walls after His resurrection. Also, I don't think Christ's body can be separated from the rest of Him. If God is omnipresent, then incarnated Christ including His body is omnipresent.

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

What about Christ's walking on water? "For to run upon the sea is foreign to the human nature, but it is not proper to the divine nature to use bodily feet. Therefore that action is of the incarnate Word, to whom belongs at the same time divine character and human, indivisibly." - St Severus of Antioch

I know that he's not an EO saint but I feel that this fits in with the subject.

For to be omnipresent is foreign to the human nature, but it is not proper to the divine nature to be circumscribed. If the Word can walk on water and read the hearts of man, why can't He be present in more than one place? After the union His divinity is not to be separated from His flesh.

Nestorians divide the divinity from the flesh. Also, it is believed that St Ignatius is speaking of the Gnostics in this following quote; they deny Christ had true flesh.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again." - St Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to Smyrnaeans, 7,1

The spiritual presence of the Eucharist is either Nestorian, Gnostic, or some other heresy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:18:39 PM by zekarja » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I know Orthodoxy also has the explanation of the Divine Liturgy being a catching up to Heaven, which also seems to me to explain away Calvin's conundrum. But even so, does Orthodoxy teach Christ is bodily everywhere?

Since the Union is complete, Christ's Body is indeed omnipresent because His Body is also the Hypostasis of the Divine Word.  As Christ exists through His hypostasis, and His hypostasis is mutually Divine and Human, then His Body is therefore Omnipresent according to His Divinity, and yet corporeal because of His humanity.  It is deified Flesh, just as an iron bar becomes ignited and red hot in the fire, taking on the properties of fire while remaining iron, so to is His Body then Divinely Omnipresent while yet remaining physically finite. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

Thanks for your answers, everyone!
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

I didn't know this was an objection of Calvin, though I've definitely heard it raised before. I always thought the feeding of the multitudes addresses this objection (note I don't say "solve" or "answer"). The Feeding of the Multitudes are clearly miracles which prefigure the Eucharist, but crucially the finite bread and fish at the beginning of the miracle is shared among thousands, with baskets of leftovers! How to explain that? Usually, the people raising the initial objections (if they're Christians) don't really have an answer, and have never thought to speculate on how Christ did what He did, because they accept the miracle at face-value. The Orthodox do the same with both the miracle of the feeding of the multitudes and the miracle of the Eucharist.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:02:17 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

I didn't know this was an objection of Calvin, though I've definitely heard it raised before. I always thought the feeding of the multitudes addresses this objection (note I don't say "solve" or "answer"). The Feeding of the Multitudes are clearly miracles which prefigure the Eucharist, but crucially the finite bread and fish at the beginning of the miracle is shared among thousands, with baskets of leftovers! How to explain that? Usually, the people raising the initial objections (if they're Christians) don't really have an answer, and have never thought to speculate on how Christ did what He did, because they accept the miracle at face-value. The Orthodox do the same with both the miracle of the feeding of the multitudes and the miracle of the Eucharist.
Yeah, I've thought it in terms of the Feeding as well. It's a very intriguing angle.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:23 AM »

What about Christ's walking on water? "For to run upon the sea is foreign to the human nature, but it is not proper to the divine nature to use bodily feet. Therefore that action is of the incarnate Word, to whom belongs at the same time divine character and human, indivisibly." - St Severus of Antioch

I am under the impression that most EO would agree with what I am about to say, forgive me if this is not the case:

Christ was capable of walking on water because He is Man.  Had He been ONLY Man, He would have been capable of doing this, much as St. Mark the Anchorite was capable of moving a mountain twice in a row with nothing more than his speech.  Man, when in union with God, is capable of controlling nature - that is as it was meant to be.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags: Christology thread #40009567.2  IOW I'm bored 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: