OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:30:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consuming the Gifts  (Read 879 times) Average Rating: 0
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

Consuming the Gifts is traditionally the deacon's duty. However, I have a friend who is a deacon with celiac disease. HE stays after to clean up the altar after the liturgy but does not consume.
Is this practice normal?
P.S. Does the priest consume if there is not other deacon, in this case?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »

Yes.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »

Consuming the Gifts is traditionally the deacon's duty. However, I have a friend who is a deacon with celiac disease. HE stays after to clean up the altar after the liturgy but does not consume.
Is this practice normal?

Strikes me as odd. Interested to hear what others think.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »

Is this practice normal?

I am wondering how he receives communion at all.  I would imagine the disease is not bad enough to where he couldn't finish the chalice.  Also i'd wager a guess that the priest knows about his condition & out of economy & pastoral care for his deacon they have an arrangement such as the one you described.  I would be willing to bet the bishop knows about it too.  Economy does not the rule make (according to yoda)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:18:48 AM »

Interesting.

Your deacon friend may very well partake of a small amount of wine and no bread (as you may very well know, this is how we commune infants).

And yes, it's my experience that the duty of consuming the chalice falls to the priest when a deacon is not present. My parish does not currently have a deacon, and so our priest consumes the chalice after every Liturgy. This is probably what your friend's priest does as well. Our local GOA parish also has no deacon. I assume that their priest also consumes the chalice.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: