Author Topic: Black Vestments?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
Black Vestments?
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:29:06 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6Z2hrBDTo&feature=related

Not sure I've seen this before. Especially not with Russians. When is black used?

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
Re: Black Vestments?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:36 AM »
at burials, week days of lent and on holy week.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:32:57 AM by augustin717 »

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »

Not sure I've seen this before. Especially not with Russians. When is black used?
Didn't Catholic priests wear black, in pre-Vatican II days, for funerals and such?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:19:48 AM »

It is as augustin said. I'm surprised to hear you say "especially not with Russians", where the range of "liturgical colors" according to the season or category of feast is much broader than that of Greek tradition.  A frequent variant is the wearing of dark purple (the brocade also featuring plenty of black in the pattern) during weekdays of Great Lent (red is worn on Saturdays and Sundays), instead of black with silver trim, with the latter worn only during Holy Week.

Regarding Russian funerals, it is not always the case that black or dark purple is worn. Centuries ago, white was the appointed vestment color, but this has almost disappeared, other than for funerals held in Bright Week. Many Russian priests will simply wear whatever color is appointed for that time of the year, such as blue if the funeral falls during the period of a feast to the Mother of God, etc.

No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:21 AM »

Didn't Catholic priests wear black, in pre-Vatican II days, for funerals and such?

Yes, funerals and Holy Friday as I recollect.
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
at burials, week days of lent and on holy week.

Up until about twenty years ago or so, maybe more, in ACROD at least,  black was worn as Augustin indicated. However, white is now the prescribed burial and memorial color and black is reserved only for the Great Vespers of Great Friday. Unlike this ROCOR video, our priests vest in purple for Great Lent, including Pre-Sanctified Liturgies, reserved 'red' for the Sunday of the Holy Cross and the Feast of the Exhaltation. Interestingly, the Great Russians change from White to Red following the Paschal matins, prior to Liturgy. So...I don't think there is a rigid, fixed "Orthodox" rule. It varies by tradition and all is good - even if it isn't what you are 'used' to seeing.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

Yes, funerals and Holy Friday as I recollect.

As did Greek Catholics of that era and for some time so did the Orthodox who 'migrated' from Greek Catholicism. Today I think that the Slavic Greek Catholics wear red for these occasions? Not sure why...

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
I rather like these vestments.  Of the various colors I've seen thus far, in person, my favorite is red.  My favorite that I've seen ever, is black (followed closely by green).
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »

They still do.  The liturgical reforms did not do away with black: they merely opened up other options.  Many still do wear black.
'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I have a set of hand-me-down black and silver vestments. It quickly became a fave of my altar staff, who would often ask me to wear my "Oakland Raiders" vestments regardless of the time of year or service.
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

Our OCA parish, of Russian tradition, uses the black vestments on Great and Holy Thursday, Friday and Holy Saturday. 

We use white at funerals.

(We use purple for Great Lent)

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
Interesting tidbit:

"In earlier times, there were no black vestments in the Orthodox Church, although the everyday clothing of the clergy, especially the monastics, was black. In ancient times, both in the Greek and in the Russian Churches, the clergy wore, according to the Typikon, "Crimson Vestments": dark (blood) red vestments. In Russia, it was first proposed to the clergy of Saint Petersburg to wear black vestments, if possible, to participate in the Funeral of Emperor Peter II [1821]. From that time on, black vestments became customary for funerals and the weekday services of Great Lent."

That and much more at http://aggreen.net/vestment/liturgical_colors.html

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »

They still do.  The liturgical reforms did not do away with black: they merely opened up other options.  Many still do wear black.
News to me, I've been to Roman Catholic funerals and such all my life and haven't seen a priest wear black, only white.

Offline Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »

News to me, I've been to Roman Catholic funerals and such all my life and haven't seen a priest wear black, only white.

This is possibly more to do with your location than anything else. As you are likely aware, each Catholic Bishops' Conference is allowed to make its own variations on standard practice within certain parameters. It has been a few years now since I was interested in modern Roman liturgics so I have had to check. The General Instruction to the Roman Missal in the specific edition of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops gives violet as the primary colour for masses of the dead, with white or black (in that order) given as an alternative. Clearly, your experience is that the last option is seldom used. By contrast, the GIRM of the Conference of England and Wales lists White first, with violet and black given equal weight as alternatives. While it is certainly not commonplace, one does not have to look very hard to find black used.

These trends vary by locale and culture.
'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
From the funerals I've been to, I think I remember the priest wearing white.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
black bishops vestments with black crown is the best... 8)

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Merarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
I have a set of hand-me-down black and silver vestments. It quickly became a fave of my altar staff, who would often ask me to wear my "Oakland Raiders" vestments regardless of the time of year or service.

:D

Catechetical moment!

What did you say?
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 01:50:34 AM »
The use of black vestments in the Latin Church in the US is virtually unheard of in the past 3 decades. One would be hard pressed to even find a full set in a the darkest corners of a sacristy closet.

Many years,

Neil
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 06:03:22 AM »

Cool!  :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »

Cool!  :angel:

Perhaps you are on to something we don't want to know about, young padawan? 

Sorry, i couldn't help myself on this one.... ;D

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
wow

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »

Holy Week...

Fr. Thomas Hopko talked about this on his series "Worship in Spirit and Truth" where he says that in Orthodoxy, vestments were never black (save for cassocks), and the practice of using black vestments came first in Russia amongst the clergy of St. Petersburg for the funeral of Czar Peter I, and it gradually spread for funerals and use in Holy Week.

Carl has already posted a corresponding point about this as well.

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
correcting my previous post, it wasn't Czar Peter I, but Czar Peter II. Forgot the second I...

Offline James2

• Mr.
  • High Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »
The western rite employs black vestments for requiem masses (funerals and All Souls' Day) and Good Friday.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
wow

Is that a leather epitrachelion?  Either way, what an odd photo. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

The only mention in the Typikon of color is that at times "dark," or "bright" colors are to be worn.

Fr. John W. Morris

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »
At my parish Black is worn during the first week of lent and during Holy week with purple being used for the rest of lent(including Sundays....except for Sunday of the Cross at which red is worn...)
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »
It is interesting to note that in Jerusalem and at least at Balamand, the seminary, university and Patriarchal Monastery in Lebanon, the Priests wear white vestments for the Lamentations service on Great and Holy Friday. There is a Youtube of the service.

Fr. John W. Morris

Offline OrthoMEX

• Save the Whales
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 02:32:07 AM »
In Romania they still wear black vestments for funerals as seen in this video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqaIpSI3UJs