OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:45:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I care that my classmates don't believe me?  (Read 4654 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: October 24, 2011, 07:18:53 PM »

Whenever my religious beliefs comes up, people don't believe me. They think I'm joking when I mention my interest in Orthodoxy. One of them told me that he's "not stupid" and won't be falling for it.

Should I care and go out of my way to prove them? Or would proving it to them by bringing in prayers books and stuff be spiritually prideful?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
mark thomas

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »

My recommendation: with sincere love and humility, invite them to come to the next service with you. 

"Who touches, is also touched"
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »

Whenever my religious beliefs comes up, people don't believe me. They think I'm joking when I mention my interest in Orthodoxy. One of them told me that he's "not stupid" and won't be falling for it.

Should I care and go out of my way to prove them? Or would proving it to them by bringing in prayers books and stuff be spiritually prideful?

Use their doubts as a personal case study (you know what the truth is in regards to this situation, whereas they do not). You can learn alot about the issues of discernment, truth, bias, faith, doubt and criticism in general when you personally experience it first hand. So let them continue to doubt and just observe them. And so use this opportunity as a personal scientific experiment.

This experience will come in handy in the future when faced with criticism and doubt, and so learn as much as you can now about the flaws of human behavior and ways of thinking. For it will serve you well in years to come.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:59:54 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »

You don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Know what you believe.  If asked about it do not deny it....but, you do not have to try to convince someone of what you believe, unless it is in order to help them believe, as well.

...and why does it matter what they think your faith is?

I suggest you just let it go, unless your goal is to teach them about the Faith.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Joseph Hazen

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »

Wow. Of all the reactions I've heard to conversion, complete disbelief is a first.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »

Don't bring in the prayer books unless they're for your own use.

Or, to put it a better way, be careful that it's not a prideful thing. I remember self-consciously bringing books and putting them out on my desk, or wearing my cross everywhere, or listening to my music too loudly, in the hopes that somebody would ask me. It feels like I'm trying to trap someone, so I made sure that everything I did was genuine and coming forth from my own personality, desires, etc. People still ended up asking and I didn't have to carefully arrange myself on the library couch with a CS Lewis book held up to my face.

You are already speaking about Orthodoxy with them, so that's good. I think that disbelief is also a very strange reaction. So strange that saying, "I invite whoever doesn't believe me to attend DL with me on Sunday," could actually be par for the course. Either they all laugh and you can just shrug it off and go your merry way, or some might come out of curiosity. You never know. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:57:40 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »

I bet 99% of your classmates actually don't even know what you're talking about.

When you say "Orthodox Christian" or "Greek Orthodox" or "Russian Orthodox", ie. anything with "Orthodox" in it most people think this:

Instead of this:

(That's an average man's face)

The one guy that says he's not "that stupid" isn't, but I'm 99.999% sure he's completely wrong about what he thinks you said you are. He hears "Orthodox" and thinks "Orthodox Jew," like most people do.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:17:05 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: