OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: inexpensive liturgical items anywhere?  (Read 399 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: October 24, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »

Does anyone recommend or know of anywhere I could get inexpensive/ moderately priced liturgical items (censers,procession cross,gospel cover)? I found easternchristiansupply which had reasonably priced censers ($100 range) and then I visited other sites which would have the exact same censer for $500!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »

Much depends on quality - quality of finish, thickness of plating (usually gold for altar items), and, for plated items, the type and quality of the base metal which has then been plated. Items which might look the same in a picture in an online catalog can vary considerably in quality.

One church where I live recently bought several oil lamps to hang on the iconostasis. They were not expensive, the gold plating was good, but the assembly and level of metal finishing (removal of burrs and other imperfections) was terrible. None of them hang properly, and one of the colored glasses into which the oil is poured was found to be cracked when it came out of the box. Their quality control standards did not impress me at all. If it was up to me, I would have sent the lot back, and demanded a refund.

The same church also bought two more oil lamps, from a different supplier. Again, one was not expensive. But it was made of very thin metal, and either brass or brass-plated. The colored jewels on the bowl of the lamp were not crystal or glass, but plastic. And there were visible finger marks on the "wings" on which the chains are linked. Before long, this lamp will darken into an ugly tarnished brown. This lamp either needs to be gold-plated, or carefully polished again, and then dipped in metal lacquer to protect it from further tarnishing.

Tags: liturgy  censer  cheap  inexpensive  fans  cross  blessing cross  chalice sets 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: