OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:30:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm is a saint  (Read 7334 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »

I don't quite see how the various decisions for Christ work in orthodoxy but any step towards is a party waiting to happen #smiles

Congrats orthonorm, i hope you celebrated.

As was pointed out, I did make a baby cry . . .

Actually, within the next hour, I made a young girl rather sour toward me as well. It's lovely relationship but sometimes stormy. We had a disagreement about the suitability of a crayon for eating.

Really, there is not much of a problem with the eating of canyons as such. But she insisted on wanting to try to eat the entire thing at once. She wouldn't compromise with just taking bite sized pieces.

But it all ended on a good note with a well-mannered discussion about the dangers of putting one's fingers through the grating around a moving fan and whether to attempt such feats even when the fan is not moving, to trying to determining the amount of plastic Easter Eggs in a container without actually counting them.

laugh  laugh   laugh   laugh

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »

I don't quite see how the various decisions for Christ work in orthodoxy but any step towards is a party waiting to happen #smiles

It was the final step. There are no more. One should care now only to to reverse.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

Actually, within the next hour, I made a young girl rather sour toward me as well. It's lovely relationship but sometimes stormy. We had a disagreement about the suitability of a crayon for eating.

Really, there is not much of a problem with the eating of canyons as such. But she insisted on wanting to try to eat the entire thing at once. She wouldn't compromise with just taking bite sized pieces.

But it all ended on a good note with a well-mannered discussion about the dangers of putting one's fingers through the grating around a moving fan and whether to attempt such feats even when the fan is not moving, to trying to determining the amount of plastic Easter Eggs in a container without actually counting them.

It's that green crayons that make you really sick -- or was that asparagus, i'm a bit hazy on the details.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 06:37:48 PM »

It's that green crayons that make you really sick -- or was that asparagus, i'm a bit hazy on the details.

Here is a fun fact. Some people will tell you that asparagus makes one's urine smell differently but not everyone's.

Wrong.

Some people just can't smell the change of odor in the urine.

Asparagus alters the odor of everyone's urine.

(Like most things this is debated, but the above is pretty conclusive. We test for the ability among certain folks at where I work.)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »

Here is a fun fact. Some people will tell you that asparagus makes one's urine smell differently but not everyone's.

Wrong.

(Like most things this is debated, but the above is pretty conclusive. We test for the ability among certain folks at where I work.)

nyeah, i'm still waiting for the "fun" part of that fact

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »

Wrong.

Being from Britain, I thought mentioning urine alone was fun, or is that Germany?

I get the two mixed up.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »

I'm sorry, but who spends a lot of time sniffing that stuff?  Huh

Maybe I don't want to know.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »

Let me just say, you don't have to be actively sniffing to realize anything.

Or my mother has completely affected my attitude. I used to never pay attention, but she's a nurse who does a lot of diagnostic work and troubleshooting in surgery, and she told me that there are a bunch of diseases and conditions that you can identify by the change in your...excrement. It's helped me numerous times beat PAs or NPs to diagnosing what was wrong with me at the time.

Sorry, orthonorm. This is a bad direction for your saint thread. But I thought a little free medical advice was needed.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

Or my mother has completely affected my attitude. I used to never pay attention, but she's a nurse who does a lot of diagnostic work and troubleshooting in surgery, and she told me that there are a bunch of diseases and conditions that you can identify by the change in your...excrement. It's helped me numerous times beat PAs or NPs to diagnosing what was wrong with me at the time.

Sorry, orthonorm. This is a bad direction for your saint thread. But I thought a little free medical advice was needed.

Sure she ain't German?

Physicians over times used smell and taste of various bodily fluids and effluvia to determine disease. 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 07:10:18 PM »

Seems completely apropos.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 07:11:39 PM »

I was going to say that you brought up the concept of urine first, but I was trying to be nice.

And my mother is absolutely not German, although her accent can sound German at times.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »

Wrong.

Being from Britain, I thought mentioning urine alone was fun, or is that Germany?

I get the two mixed up.

We're mighty glad y'all didn't get us all mixed up when y'all flew in to save the day all them thar years ago.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

I was going to say that you brought up the concept of urine first, but I was trying to be nice.

And my mother is absolutely not German, although her accent can sound German at times.

My people are of the earth.

Misattributed, much beloved:

Inter faeces et urinam nascimur.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »

Many years!

(Does saying it like that make me a LARPer?)

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »

Many years!

Any thing done out of love is beyond pretend and believable.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »

Many years!

This doesn't.

This does.  Wink

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »

Congratulations! 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

Many years!

This doesn't.

This does.  Wink
Yeah, I was afraid I might damn myself there. I really do wish orthonorm many years of holiness and perseverance in the Orthodox Church, but his posts do force me to ensure that when I cross myself or use Orthodox terminology I have some real intent behind it, and that I'm not just doing it because that how the Orthodox do it and the Orthodox are SO COOL. I suppose I can really only thank him for that, and I certainly hope for many more years of such challenges.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »

Many years!

This doesn't.

This does.  Wink
Yeah, I was afraid I might damn myself there. I really do wish orthonorm many years of holiness and perseverance in the Orthodox Church, but his posts do force me to ensure that when I cross myself or use Orthodox terminology I have some real intent behind it, and that I'm not just doing it because that how the Orthodox do it and the Orthodox are SO COOL. I suppose I can really only thank him for that, and I certainly hope for many more years of such challenges.
Well, to be fair, adopting any new custom is weird at first. Don't do it for show or just to fit in, but don't think TOO much about it, either. I'm self-conscious about wearing a covering at church, and I actually used to cover every single day for 2 years! That's too much to the point where I'm worried about "looking" like a LARPer, to beat that dead horse of a term.

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »

I always wield two prayer ropes on each wrist upon entrance to the Narthex, do 3 grand bows to the left and right at the entrance of the Nave, make prostrations to all the icons too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »

Many years!

This doesn't.

This does.  Wink
Well, to be fair, adopting any new custom is weird at first. Don't do it for show or just to fit in, but don't think TOO much about it, either. I'm self-conscious about wearing a covering at church, and I actually used to cover every single day for 2 years! That's too much to the point where I'm worried about "looking" like a LARPer, to beat that dead horse of a term.

If we are really LARPing here, let's make it a 3 year catechism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »

I always wield two prayer ropes on each wrist upon entrance to the Narthex, do 3 grand bows to the left and right at the entrance of the Nave, make prostrations to all the icons too.

So you think Jesus was two persons!  Blasphemy!  Everyone knows you must wear only ONE prayer rope per wrist, as Jesus was ONE person, not TWO!  Alternatively, you may wear one prayer rope that you drape across your chest like machine gun bullets.  Either is acceptable.  However, should you wear the rope around your body, you must wear one rope on each wrist, in representation of the Holy Trinity!  This is the faith of the Fathers!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »

So you think Jesus was two persons!  Blasphemy!  Everyone knows you must wear only ONE prayer rope per wrist, as Jesus was ONE person, not TWO!  Alternatively, you may wear one prayer rope that you drape across your chest like machine gun bullets.  Either is acceptable.  However, should you wear the rope around your body, you must wear one rope on each wrist, in representation of the Holy Trinity!  This is the faith of the Fathers!

Monophysite heretic! I wear one over each shoulder crossing over my chest to proclaim the two natures hypostatically united in the one person of Christ. It also recalls the holy martyrdom through which St Andrew the apostle and first-called followed Christ.

EDIT: The "m" word is not being used against the OO, but in reference to heretical theology denounced by both EO and OO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:27:03 AM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »

I may be a wee bit late to this thread, buy I do want to say "Many Years!"

Now that you're all the way in I expect you are a full-on konvertsky, no? Filled up your shopping cart at Conciliar Press? Started inquiring at an Ephriamite monastery? Referring to your priest as your "spiritual father" to people who don't even know what Orthodoxy is? Eating Boca on Wednesday and Fridays, and on the eves of fasts as well?  Wink

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »

I may be a wee bit late to this thread, buy I do want to say "Many Years!"

Now that you're all the way in I expect you are a full-on konvertsky, no? Filled up your shopping cart at Conciliar Press? Started inquiring at an Ephriamite monastery? Referring to your priest as your "spiritual father" to people who don't even know what Orthodoxy is? Eating Boca on Wednesday and Fridays, and on the eves of fasts as well?  Wink

As I have said, I fast only on sweet tears of divine and holy repentance.

But don't let that stop you from eating your peanut butter.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »

As I have said, I fast only on sweet tears of divine and holy repentance.
I am pretty sure tears count as dairy. I think it evens out, though, if you replace your blanket with a board.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »

Many years!

Shane's got a run for his money.

Isn't it funny how we pay the homeless in change, but we never thank them when they pay us with the kingdom?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:27:34 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »

Was it sleeping on boards in Holy Russia?! No it was not! Newly illumined are expected to levitate in a nightly prayer/trance. "Sleep" is pagano-latin concept!
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Was it sleeping on boards in Holy Russia?! No it was not! Newly illumined are expected to levitate in a nightly prayer/trance. "Sleep" is pagano-latin concept!
Yea it's pray without ceasing from now on.

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

I recommend he go to Kiev and have himself walled in like an Anchorite. Only in Jason's case, the salvation of others demands he smuggle in a smartphone with twitter until he's dispensed enough holy wisdom for me to make a mint in book deals on for us to attain his level of sanctity.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »

Many years!

Shane's got a run for his money.

Isn't it funny how we pay the homeless in change, but we never thank them when they pay us with the kingdom?

Oh do I have a story for you about "Shane". It is actually my first miracle as a hypervert and there were witnesses. Not incurring augustin's wrath or apathy was my second.

Gypsy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »

Ok...i'm pretty new and haven't read the boards for a week or two 'cos i've been sick...so i'm going to bite and ask what is a LARP... I am probably one .....so may as well find out the ugly truth and see what it is!

Oh congratulations Orthonorm...Many Years....and please stay the same even if you are a Saint now..!

Gypsy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »

Ok...i'm pretty new and haven't read the boards for a week or two 'cos i've been sick...so i'm going to bite and ask what is a LARP... I am probably one .....so may as well find out the ugly truth and see what it is!

Oh congratulations Orthonorm...Many Years....and please stay the same even if you are a Saint now..!

Gypsy

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »

--
--
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »

Don't make me get out Tron Guy..

Oh what the hell

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »

Filling orthonorm's thread with LARPs! I LOVE IT!

--
--
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »

Many Years!

SCREW BON JOVI!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »

I missed this when it was originally announced. I had wondered what was different about you... now I know!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

Awesome. Now can he bring Tupac back from the dead and heal my anger?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »

Tupac =! orthonorm

To the guillotine with ya!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »

I don't think orthonorm finds Tupac all that great (and to be fair, I don't either).

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »

Glad someone pays attention to my words.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »

I'd imagine that Tupac stands right around Plato in terms of priority on orthonorm's "people I'd bring back from the dead if I could." list.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »

I'd imagine that Tupac stands right around Plato in terms of priority on orthonorm's "people I'd bring back from the dead if I could." list.

Not too far ahead of Hitler.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:06 AM »

From the various smells of urine, LARP, babies crying, Tron guy, GJ, orthonorm's baptism...is there not another thread that brings all of us together out of love?

Might be OC.net's most important thread.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: