OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:04:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brooklyn, NY: Coptic Orthodox pray for peace in Egypt  (Read 369 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »

The congregation of the Coptic Orthodox Church of St. George, in Brooklyn, New York, is praying for peace in Egypt. The Coptic community in Egypt has suffered grievous persecution including, most recently, the deaths of dozens of people after a protest against the burning of a church. A member of the church, John Fanouse, spoke to a local paper after services marking the end of a three-day vigil.

From the article:
“Firstly, it is sadness on the fact that there have been lives lost—we consider them our brothers and sisters. The only difference between a 25-year-old who got killed and me is that 30 years ago, my parents moved to America,” Fanouse said.

“Second, we are joyful; because in the Christian faith, we believe that these people died in the name of Christ, they were martyrs. We believe that they were out there despite knowing that when you go out on a protest, being a Christian, you have more potential of being killed.”

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: Egypt  Coptic Orthodox Church  persecution  Brooklyn  New York 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: