OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:19:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone identify this part of the Syriac Qurbana?  (Read 1126 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« on: October 23, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »

Here is a You Tube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLWE_9r3J4&feature=related

It says that it's the end of the Syriac Qurbana/Liturgy. The Byzantine rite has very little time from after communion to the end of the liturgy. I'd like to know what's going on here if someone could help. It's absolutely beautiful.

For clarification, I believe most of it is in Malayallam, not Syriac.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:10:22 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »

English, too! I love Fr. Aju Philip Matthew's voice! Here is another clip of him celebrating the Qurbana in English, with a little bit of Syriac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ

I am not Syriac Orthodox, but in the book "Queen of the Sacraments: A Treatise on the Liturgy of the Holy Mass as celebrated in the Syrian Orthodox Church" by Fr. Mani Rajan (2008, Travancore Syriac Orthodox Publishers), prayers of thanksgiving are listed as occurring after communion, so I would guess it is some of those.

We give thanks to Thee, O Lord, for the abundance of Thy mercy by which Thou has accounted us worthy to partake of Thy heavenly table. Grant, my Lord that our participation in Thy Holy sacraments be not a cause of our condemnation and that being accounted worthy to partake of Thy Holy spirit we may find a share and an inheritance with all the righteous forever. We offer up glory and praise to Thee and to Thy Only-begotten Son and to Thy Holy Spirit forever. (p. 163, "The Conclusion")

The little bit of English in the video does not match up with this, but this is an example of the thanksgiving prayers said at the conclusion of the liturgy, according to the book. Hopefully a member of this church can give a more definitive answer.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:02:49 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

I too love his voice. I wish there could be more of his liturgies on You Tube. The Qurbana is very beautiful and compunctionate.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »

On the right side of the priest on the video (our right), the one holding the candle is Fr. Dn. Phillip, who used to be one of the web administrators of this site, username "Mor Ephrem"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »

On the right side of the priest on the video (our right), the one holding the candle is Fr. Dn. Phillip, who used to be one of the web administrators of this site, username "Mor Ephrem"

selam mina,
I have read some of Mor Ephrem's posts as I come across them in here in threads resurrected and as they come as tags and was very much edified by them,  but i have not seen  recent posts of. is he too busy or something?

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »

selam mina,
I have read some of Mor Ephrem's posts as I come across them in here in threads resurrected and as they come as tags and was very much edified by them,  but i have not seen  recent posts of. is he too busy or something?

I'm sure the ministry is very demanding.  I'm sure he spreads extra time edifying the youth especially.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:42:48 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »

Thank you mina, I am glad he is well, and yes I agree with you on the time thing. I do not know how the clergy find time really, with the demand we all put on them. its a testament to the grace of the office they hold. if i have two assignments i am overwhelmed, yet i see them managing great amount of work and with such attention to quality in each. I pray Our Lord gives him long life to continue to serve him as he does now!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »

Thank you mina, I am glad he is well, and yes I agree with you on the time thing. I do not know how the clergy find time really, with the demand we all put on them. its a testament to the grace of the office they hold. if i have two assignments i am overwhelmed, yet i see them managing great amount of work and with such attention to quality in each. I pray Our Lord gives him long life to continue to serve him as he does now!

Amen!

And he is also married.  So you can imagine any married priests or deacons in the service is much more demanding for them.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:04 PM »

Amen!

And he is also married.  So you can imagine any married priests or deacons in the service is much more demanding for them.

Indeed! there is a saying back home, which essentially says that anyone who walks on the road to somewhere with a clergy, has to be prepared to stop a 1000x , so if you are with someone who knows a lot of people and you get frustrated by the amount of greeting and stopping to inquire about this or that of that person, you say' I have become like the mule of a priest!'  ;Das the mule that he rides stops each time the priest or the deacon stops to talk with the laity, so does the person who walks along with the clergy, not everyone can have such patience and kindness as the clergy. its an incredible fit to manage , for them to serve all the Lord entrusted to them, the best they could.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »

Amen!

Indeed! there is a saying back home, which essentially says that anyone who walks on the road to somewhere with a clergy, has to be prepared to stop a 1000x , so if you are with someone who knows a lot of people and you get frustrated by the amount of greeting and stopping to inquire about this or that of that person, you say' I have become like the mule of a priest!'  ;Das the mule that he rides stops each time the priest or the deacon stops to talk with the laity, so does the person who walks along with the clergy, not everyone can have such patience and kindness as the clergy. its an incredible fit to manage , for them to serve all the Lord entrusted to them, the best they could.

How very true are your words!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: