OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destined to Hell for not being Catholic anymore  (Read 7000 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »

If you are not Catholic in the true and patristic sense then you are not Orthodox. 

What do you mean, "in the true and patristic sense"?

Whatever an Orthodox Christian believe at the moment.

Then why are you Orthodox?

The funny thing about you PtA is that what you wish you could do, you don't recognize it when it happens.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »

If you are not Catholic in the true and patristic sense then you are not Orthodox. 

A member of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church which the Orthodox Church professes Herself to be.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »

I mean that the Ecumenical Councils and the Holy Fathers speak of the Orthodox Church as "the Catholic Church" and also of Orthodox Christians as "Catholics."  This is the true and patristic sense.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »

As a whole our people really need to do some more patristic reading.   St. Maximus states that Christ NAMED his Church the Catholic Church (capital C).  The councils in the history of the Orthodox Church refer to her repeatedly as the "Catholic and Apostolic Church."  This is just as true post schism as it is pre-schism.   The RCC calls itself "the Catholic Church."  That's nice.  However, there is a problem in that every single saint and council refer to what we commonly call today "the Orthodox Church" as "the Catholic Church" or as "the Orthodox Catholic Church" or as "God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church."   Read the acts of the Synod of Jerusalem under Dositheus.  Not once is the Church which contains the Orthodox patriarchates of Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Rus, etc. called "the Orthodox Church."  Read the decisions of the 19th century councils.  Repeatedly it is "Orthodox Catholic" or "Catholic and Apostolic."  It is called the capital C Catholic Church.  That another body does the same should have no impact on us. 
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »

A member of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church which the Orthodox Church professes Herself to be.

Nothing like the triumph of an Orthodox . . . wait, you are what again?

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »

I mean that the Ecumenical Councils and the Holy Fathers speak of the Orthodox Church as "the Catholic Church" and also of Orthodox Christians as "Catholics."  This is the true and patristic sense.

You see though, some people think they are the Catholic and Orthodox Church and we ain't.

How do you have a constructive discussion with folks like that?

Do you correct everyone in RL who calls themselves Catholic with the above?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2011, 08:46:05 PM »

An inquirer.

And that was mean.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »

An inquirer.

And that was mean.

I would rather be mean than average.

//:=) I can never help myself with that one.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:40 PM »

*rimshot*

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

Don't worry, William. Most of us went through the *inquirer* stage and survived to emerge reasonably sane. Although, *sane* is a relative term, I suppose.  Undecided

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »

Don't worry, William. Most of us went through the *inquirer* stage and survived to emerge reasonably sane. Although, *sane* is a relative term, I suppose.  Undecided

Don't mince words:

William, you don't have to end up like orthonorm. Have hope!

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »

I don't really see professing the Orthodox Church to be Catholic as being overzealous or triumphalist or inquirer-y, though. Is Father an inquirer? 

Smiley

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »

Don't mince words:

William, you don't have to end up like orthonorm. Have hope!

laugh Worse than that, he might end up like me. Always pushing the boundaries! (But I wanna know!!)

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »

I don't really see professing the Orthodox Church to be Catholic as being overzealous or triumphalist or inquirer-y, though. Is Father an inquirer? 

Smiley

Let's all pray, that we remain inquirers in hearts throughout eternity.

lulz.

[Nick, that Shane moment was for you]

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »

Smiley

Hon, don't lose a sense of humour on the road to martyrdom. Don't take offence. We are ribbing you. laugh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »

As a whole our people really need to do some more patristic reading.   St. Maximus states that Christ NAMED his Church the Catholic Church (capital C).  The councils in the history of the Orthodox Church refer to her repeatedly as the "Catholic and Apostolic Church."  This is just as true post schism as it is pre-schism.   The RCC calls itself "the Catholic Church."  That's nice.  However, there is a problem in that every single saint and council refer to what we commonly call today "the Orthodox Church" as "the Catholic Church" or as "the Orthodox Catholic Church" or as "God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church."   Read the acts of the Synod of Jerusalem under Dositheus.  Not once is the Church which contains the Orthodox patriarchates of Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Rus, etc. called "the Orthodox Church."  Read the decisions of the 19th century councils.  Repeatedly it is "Orthodox Catholic" or "Catholic and Apostolic."  It is called the capital C Catholic Church.  That another body does the same should have no impact on us. 

This is not going to affect one whit the behavior of the billion people in That Other Church.  Roll Eyes
Father H
Archon

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »

You see though, some people think they are the Catholic and Orthodox Church and we ain't.

No!  but you by the same token don't deny that you are what you are. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »

This is not going to affect one whit the behavior of the billion people in That Other Church.  Roll Eyes

What does that have to do with denying that you are what you are? 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

You may be right. However, if you're looking to make them stop, I don't think they will, that's all.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »

Just because they don't stop, doesn't mean that we should avoid the term Catholic when referring to the Church.

Perhaps if enough of us do it, for long enough, it will become "common" knowledge and enter the lexicon.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Father H
Archon

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »

You may be right. However, if you're looking to make them stop, I don't think they will, that's all.

I am not looking to make them stop.  I am looking more at what we should be doing.  They can say "we are Catholic."  We disagree from a patristic sense, but we understand that this is the way it is.  However, I am horrified that some of us now would say "I am not Catholic" simply because adherents of the Vatican calls themselves Catholic.  The Church--even in the 19th century, whether in Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece (look at even the Synod of Greece of 1930 that addressed the "true children of the Orthodox Catholic Church"), Palestine, or Alexandria--would have picked us up by our hind pants and booted us straight out the door for saying that we are not Catholics.    
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:27:31 PM by FatherHLL » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »

No!  but you by the same token don't deny that you are what you are. 

Father, I was just seeing how cantankerous you are. I was sorta hoping you did "correct" people. //:=)

tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »

Slava isusu Christu!

This is what my mother-in-law feels right now and it has driven a wedge between us.  I attempted to mend fences with her, but I can still sense a very uncomfortable tension.  She outright said that either one is in the Catholic church or they are not, and anyone outside of it is Hellbound.

She told me that it's odd for me to leave Catholicism because I was a convert, and usually converts have so much zeal for their religion that they don't leave it.  Believe me, if someone had mentioned to me 11 years ago that I'd be Orthodox, I'd have had many choice words for them, as I was truly on fire for Christ and for the RCC.  It was not my plan to leave the RCC and subsequently, the Byzantine CC, but God's plan.  It may have started out as a way for us to escape a negative relationship with our priest, but it has ultimately developed into something more. 

FWIW, my own parent accepts my decision, and is just glad that I'm "in someone's church on Sunday".   Cheesy  (That parent is Baptist, btw.)

A strange thing for me to sort out is that my husband's family is both Byzantine Catholic and Orthodox on both sides.  My MIL grew up with one grandmother being Orthodox and the other BC.  Her very close cousin is and has always been Orthodox -- they are like sisters!  Yet MIL will not accept our conversion as valid.   Huh

Anyone deal with issues with close relatives?  Advice?

This type of attitudes drive me crazy. "My God is better than your God, my theory is better than your theory, my tradition is truer than your tradition.".  This is why, I say without Christ we are nothing. regardless of denomination. With christ we are everything. Even when we are just sitting in our couch and watching a romantic movie. With christ, no one moves you. Without him you are just a leaf in the mercy of the most manic wind. In other words you are moved already.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: