OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 01:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Wedding Hymns (chant)  (Read 2024 times) Average Rating: 0
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: October 21, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »

Hi everyone, its been a while since I've been on here, but can anyone tell me where I can find audio sources of greek/english wedding hymns chanted? I'm chanting at my friends wedding tomorrow and I'm realizing that his priest would want me to do more chanting than the priest I usually chant for in my city.

ie. Ive never had to chant before the Procesional Psalm (doxa si kyrie/glory to you o Lord)

Also, I have no clue how the Alleluia (after the epistle) with verse should sound

If anyone could offer me links or hints that would be awesome! I wish someone would put up the hymn of the wedding service on youtube or available for mp3. I know there is a greek webiste that has the menaion with mp3 chanting for each day of the year, I wonder if it would also have the wedding service...
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:30:18 AM »

Sadly, the Fr Leo Schafe site (analogion.gr/glt) doesn't have the audio; however, St Anthony's Monastery does.

Check out http://stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Wedding.htm (in Byzantine or Staff notation).

- Processional Psalm - Verses are intoned, with 'Glory to You' being a short one (Eirmologic speed).  The one I'm familiar with is 13 beats long (over 10 syllables), so they're done fairly briskly (like a troparion speed).

- The Alleluia should sound like an 'Alleluia' after the Epistle in the Liturgy - not drawn out at all.

Hope this helps!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »

I've chanted the Alleluia in either a plagal tone 1 or plagal tone 4 (chanted from Ni). Either are acceptable.  Let me see if I can get you some audio from a wedding that I chanted this last weekend.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: