Author Topic: How much of a priority should we place on attending Church?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
How much of a priority should we place on attending Church?
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »
Would it be appropriate to tell a coach, friends, family, etc. that you can't do something on Sunday morning because you need to go to Church? What about for Great Feasts? Or Holy Week?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: How much of a priority should we place on attending Church?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »

You do what you can.

Sometimes it simply isn't possible to attend church every Feast Day.  Work only allows for so many vacation days.

However, when asked to work the weekends, I always say that I will be happy to, however, I won't be able to start until around 2 p.m. on Sunday because I have to attend Divine Liturgy in the morning.  This usually is okay, because they are asking you to work on your day "off", anyway.

Try to do the best you can.  Don't stay home to watch the big game, or to go out with your friends, or to simply sleep in.  If you can attend, do so.

If you cannot attend, keep the day "holy", nonetheless. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
Yes, of course it is appropriate. But I don't think I'd word it as "I need to go to church" - someone might respond with something snarky like "Yes, you really do need to!"  ::)

So why not do what you would with any other conflict on your calendar?
"Sorry, I'm already booked." If pressed for details, then add, "I've planned to go to church. I'd love to have you join me."

You are responsible for your time management - not your coach, friends, and family. Of course there are exceptions for unusual circumstances. But be sure it's you who decide.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Are there any days that you really should not miss except under really exceptional circumstances?

For example, I might join track this spring. Practice might conflict with some Lenten and Holy Week services. Would it be appropriate to ask for permission to not go to practice on some of the days?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »

I would most definitely keep Holy week "holy", and skip all practices, gatherings, etc.

It is a definite time for introspection and contemplation.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline myrrhbear

• Trust in God
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
Someone once reminded me that the Lord gave me 7 days this week, 7x24 hours of life, so what is lacking in me that I can't give back a few hours on Sunday...?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

Offline arnI

• Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
Church is what we do on Sunday morning. I kindly decline invitations for Sundays, and simply say I go to Church on Sunday. Everyone handles work on Sunday according to their situation and job.

When it is your habit to attend each and every Sunday, others will know it also. Somehow Church continually comes up in my everyday conservation.

Friend: Are you watching the One O'clock game on Sunday?
Me: Sure, but I may miss the start since I will be at Church on Sunday.

Another Friend: Where can I get a good sandwich?
Me: We had lunch at this terrific deli after Church on Sunday.

I do not intentionally weave the fact that I attend Church into my conversations, but it naturally occurs over time because it is the central most important activity that we attend each week.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
If your work or school allows you to take time for religious observations, or you have 'vacation days' you can use during Holy Week and other necessary times, try to do that. I was able to do that at a couple of places I used to work.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Take a week off for Holy Week, it's worth it.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Would it be appropriate to tell a coach, friends, family, etc. that you can't do something on Sunday morning because you need to go to Church? What about for Great Feasts? Or Holy Week?

Absolutely.  And don't be deterred otherwise.

And actually, I like the way you phrased it. You didn't say "I have to go to church" or "God will be angry with me if I don't go", etc. but you said that you have a "need."  My Orthodox brothers and sisters may well not need to go to church as I do, but I know that I need it for my own salvation.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
We've come up against this from time to time with our kid's sports. I think Sunday morning attendance is a priority.  You have to be bleeding or feverish to stay home from Church in my home.  period.    Sports are not a priority when butted against Sunday morning Liturgy.  My kids know this.  I think we may have once let one of our kids skip church to do a sport activity.  I regretted it.  Sports are ephemeral, the Life-Giving Mysteries of God are not.   

I do realize that church attendance is a habit too.  Some people did not regularly attend when they were growing up and I've noticed that they really struggle to be consistent with church attendance as adults too.   But, that's their business, I have my own struggles.  Besides, it's between their priest and them... not me. 

Feast Days are different.  I would love to take my kids out of school for every feast day.  When we homeschooled we had that luxury.  Now we don't.  I do, however, want to take them out for St. Nicholas' Feast Day.  My oldest goes to a Protestant school and they're sticklers about absences.  I have to check about the policy for taking a day off for religious observances.   

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
It's a question of priorities. I know some families who have told their children that there will be no sports on Sunday mornings. Period.

Going to church is VERY important. One of the Epistles (I can't remember which one) advises to not miss the prayers and fellowship as some had been doing.

After work (I work a regular 8-5 M-F schedule), church has first priority. Depending on your schedule, all of Holy Week doesn't necessarily need to be taken off. My parish only has daytime services on Holy Thursday & Good Friday, so I don't need to take Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of Holy Week off, which is good since I have a limited number of days off. I often take Bright Monday off to recover, though!

As for Great Feasts, it depends on your practice schedule and what services your parish offers. My parish will have a Vesperal Divine Liturgy for feasts that are Tuesday - Friday (so held the evening before). Great Feasts that fall on a Sunday have Vespers late Sunday afternoon and a 7 am Monday Divine Liturgy. Saturdays have a 9 am Divine Liturgy.

Plan out your schedule. Find out ahead of time from your priest the service schedule for Great Feasts and Holy Week if you don't know it (ie, you've not been in your parish long enough to be able to tell when things will be).

It's one thing to miss for a reasonable situation (illness, you MUST work, etc.), but to just not go to church because you "don't feel like it" or want to sleep because you were out too late the night before, not good excuses.

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
  • O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 02:19:28 PM »
Going to church is VERY important. One of the Epistles (I can't remember which one) advises to not miss the prayers and fellowship as some had been doing.

I agree! :) Here's the verse I think that you are speaking of:

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:20:03 PM by zekarja »

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
i sometimes have to turn down going to church for other, less important things like work (i thing vital work like transport and healthcare can sometimes get in the way of church) and sleep (e.g. after long journeys).
this sunday i was at work, and felt bad about missing church (mainly a selfish feeling as i missed 'my' blessing of Holy Communion and fellowship with my friends) but a text from a friend reminded me that i can 'serve God in the workplace'.
but when i can go twice a week, i will.
that's coz my church is so awesome and full of people who really help me to get close to God.  :)

so it depends on your motives. if you are attending 2 Bible studies a week and then occasionally miss sunday as it's the only time to share God's love with your mates who would otherwise never hear about God's great salvation, then this is different to going to church once a month to make sure God isn't annoyed with you, and 'enjoying' lying awake in bed, cooked sunday breakfasts, tv, getting over your hangover etc. with the rest of 'your' free time.

n.b. (1) those things will never be as 'enjoyable' as giving your whole life to God and serving Him every moment (dedicating every act and conversation to Him).
n.b. (2) 'your' free time isn't yours, all your time is a gift from God, so use it to His glory.
work well ('not only when your master is watching'), love your neighbour and love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
 :)

Offline Joseph Hazen

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
I missed Church a few weeks ago because I overslept.  :-[

My priest text me to ask where I was during coffee hour. I told him I overslept, and Confessed it after Vespers next Saturday.

Offline Japheth

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

My priest text me to ask where I was during coffee hour. I told him I overslept, and Confessed it after Vespers next Saturday.
I'm curious: is this considered a healthy relationship to have with one's priest? Does anyone think he's overreaching?

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
Yeah, texting seems pretty excessive.

My priest will make a comment after church the next time I'm in, but that's it.
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline Joseph Hazen

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

I'm curious: is this considered a healthy relationship to have with one's priest? Does anyone think he's overreaching?

I was wondering what took so long for people to comment on that.

I was supposed to be organizing the OCF later that night and he wanted to make sure it was still meeting - that's why he really text me, but he did ask where I was.

I meant it to be funny...then forgot about this thread till now lol.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:24 AM »
First priority is God.

I lapsed out of Church services for months, got back in it again and it was very therapuetic to me.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline leap of faith

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
I'm guessing that my Protestant family and friends think that I'm in the "honeymoon phase" since I became a catechuman, but my entire outlook on "going to church" has changed.  The emphasis of community combined with the understanding that we are participating in a foretaste of Christ's Kingdom, gathering with the saints and the angels...OH, the list goes on and on!  We live in the artctic cold of SD and once winter sets in, it'll be unsafe for me to travel almost 4 hours round trip.  More often than not, I'll be stuck at home.  Just the thought of not being able to participate in Vespers and Liturgy makes my heart ache.  I do empathize that it is difficult for people to understand that we're not just "going to church."

I found this tidbit on St. Bede that I thought was wonderful: Concerning attendance at holy services, St. Bede wrote, " I know that the angels are present at the canonical Hours, and what if they do not find me among the brethren when they assemble?  Will they not say, Where is Bede?  Why does he not attend the appointed devotions with his brethren?" 

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
I try to go to Sat. evening Vespers weekly, and then Liturgy.  Sometimes I have to miss Vespers, but that's not too big of an issue.  I mostly never miss Divine Liturgy.  I've missed perhaps 10 Divine Liturgies in the past 3 years. 

I would say it's pretty important to go to Church.  I usually make time to go.  There were times when my work schedule didn't permit me to leave in time, so I would just call ahead and the manager would make some adjustments to the schedule. 

One thing that I've noticed with Church.  If I don't go one Sunday, it's easier to not go the next Sunday.  Then you get in this cycle of not going.  The little old ladies call you, Father calls you, your godparents call you, and you feel really guilty because it's "not the same without you".

As for Holy Week, try to go when you can.  Go to as many services as possible.  I don't drive (because I'm a bum), so I don't get to as many as possible.  My mom is such a godsend, and has been my ride to Church at east twice a week for the past few years.  I don't like asking her to drive me to Church more than 2 times a week, though.

I take the day off of school for our parish feast day, and I think I'll be taking the day after Pascha off this year, too.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 02:29:59 AM »
One thing that I've noticed with Church.  If I don't go one Sunday, it's easier to not go the next Sunday.  Then you get in this cycle of not going. 
And that's how I ended up in that cycle, along with excuses of course.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:49 AM »
One thing that I've noticed with Church.  If I don't go one Sunday, it's easier to not go the next Sunday.  Then you get in this cycle of not going.  The little old ladies call you, Father calls you, your godparents call you, and you feel really guilty because it's "not the same without you".

Wow, Trevor, the old ladies actually want you at Church? What's your secret?
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 03:11:08 AM »

Thats great your priest keeps such a close eye on you, is your parish small (or does he just have a great memory)?

Sometimes when I miss, if I knew someone was there expecting me (and wonderign where I was if I missed) I would probably think twice.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 03:12:12 AM »

Wow, Trevor, the old ladies actually want you at Church? What's your secret?

Indeed, Trevor sounds like mr. popularity around here!  :laugh:

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 03:17:11 AM »
.My mom is such a godsend, and has been my ride to Church at east twice a week for the past few years.  I don't like asking her to drive me to Church more than 2 times a week, though.

Thank the Lord for these wonderful people who love and care about us yes?Trevor  :angel:

@ William , as far as telling people where one would be on sundays etc, well I find it helps if people know me as a person of faith , in fact it has protected me from some  expectations from friends that are not so healthy spiritually and at other times even when i was tempted to do stuff i should not , my friends will say hey ofc you would not want to do this because you are a christian, and i grin secretly :-[ and say dear Lord how good you are to remind me when I forget myself thus and ofc i do not want to be a stumbling block to them therefore that will be my strength to pass that bit of temptation etc . whatever your reason might be when it comes to things that had to do with your faith , identify yourself clearly, do not seek to blend in on that issue  but it must be done in away that will bring the love of the Lord to others. if you are able to go to church on sunday , and friends ask you where you would be, tell them hey you might be the only orthodox christian they will ever meet. keep that in perspective as well. :angel:
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline Joseph Hazen

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 04:04:10 AM »
Thats great your priest keeps such a close eye on you, is your parish small (or does he just have a great memory)?

Sometimes when I miss, if I knew someone was there expecting me (and wonderign where I was if I missed) I would probably think twice.

Well, I revealed in another post, I was organizing the OCF that night and Father wanted to make sure it was still going on, but yes we do have a very small parish, maybe 100 families or so. On top of that I attend basically everything. I love going to church, so I'm there for Vespers, Liturgy, Liturgy during the week, Sixth Hour Prayer on Wednesdays, etc (benefit of being a student!). If I missed several things in a row without Father hearing from me he'd probably call to make sure everything was ok.

And if he didn't, I have several friends who definitely would lol. I love my parish. It's everything I could hope for from a church.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »
My experience is that once you deliberately don't go to church on Sunday, it becomes easier and easier to find a reason to not attend. If you miss three in a row, its time to go to confession because getting back into full communion is difficult.

Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline TITL

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »

I don't think it's overreaching. Once, my priest called me during a liturgy and put the phone on one of the chairs. He didn't say anything, but I could hear the deacons/congregation responding. It was his way of telling me "You're late".

I'm in charge of the projector screens in church, so he usually doesn't want me to come later than the Matin's gospel.

I really got it hard that Sunday, after I showed my face.  :P

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
If you are involved, that's one thing.

And my priest might shoot me an e-mail if I miss several weeks, just to see if I'm okay. Or the next time in person, he will ask, "What's going on? You doing okay?"

I personally think that I would be mad as heck if someone called me unless I really needed to be there for a certain reason (helping out with a church activity, etc.). I think that is something between my priest and I, and if he panics over everyone individually missing a week or so at a time, most likely due to illness or work, that's going to get old, quickly.

NOT that we should make excuses for missing church. I throw a fit when I cannot attend DL on Sundays for whatever reason. We are going on vacation this week and I already looked up the closest church. No excuses, as much as we want to sleep in.

We talked to our priest about our work schedules when meeting with him, which we can't really change. He understands and asks how work is going if we miss a week.

I don't know in what kind of areas everyone lives, but I live in an area where a lot of the parishoners end up having to work Sundays, against their will. It's out of their control. He understands.

Now, if I was missing a couple of weeks straight because I was hungover, he has full right to pull me by the ears over to the corner at coffee hour and ask me what's going up.  :)
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline TITL

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
What does "DL" mean? I've seen it in quite a few posts.

Another thing to know about TITL: cannot uncode simple acronyms.

Quite ironic, since my username is an acronym! ;)

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »

It means Divine Liturgy. :)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
What does "DL" mean?
Divine Liturgy
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but for me going to liturgy is the most important thing I do all week. We only have liturgy here twice a month if we're lucky (since the priests have to fly here from Arizona), so if you miss one (like I did last month when I had the flu), you have to go a WHOLE MONTH without liturgy. That's way too long!

Offline TITL

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Dzheremi,

May I rub it in that this weekend I'll be attending DL (hehe) 3 times in a row?

If you don't want me to, then I'll refrain from being mean.  ;D

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Hahaha. That doesn't bother me. Liturgy is this Saturday for us, so I'll be going too. How sweet it is! :)

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
Hahaha. That doesn't bother me. Liturgy is this Saturday for us, so I'll be going too. How sweet it is! :)

The Liturgy is twice a month and on Saturday for my parish as well. My priest comes in from Nashville. :P

Offline TITL

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Well since it doesn't bother you, I'll rub it in...

Dzheremi,

I'm going to DL 3 times in a row this weekend, God willing.  :P

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
How much of a priority should we place on attending church (on time)?

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »

Better some than none at all, but it would be rude to come to a friend's party late. How much more the banquet of our Lord, in which we partake of his ultimate sacrifice? We can't manage to wake up and get ready a bit earlier as a token of our thanks? (That's how I look at it, and I been running late in recent weeks, so these words are for myself foremost.)

Many people arrive at DL in time for the Gospel. If you do that, you miss the Church's great prayer for the world—the Litany of Peace—as well as the antiphons and the variable hymns for the feast day. That is not unimportant stuff. And if you can't manage to make it to church reasonably on time, my priest says, there is no way you are prepared to receive communion.

For Vigil, you might miss Psalm 103, which I think is one of the most beautiful Psalms. Not being a Eucharistic service I suppose it's less important, but I don't like ranking services in terms of importance. Every time we come to church and stand in Christ's bodily presence to pray is worthwhile, and if we are late (or do not come at all), we only rob ourselves of that grace.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:46:22 PM by bogdan »

Offline TheodoraElizabeth3

• Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »

HUGE priority!

If you have small children, you are essentially given a pass for showing up a bit late to church. But to show up right before the Gospel EVERY Sunday, well, you've got issues.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can get yourself out the door and on time for work, you can get yourself to church on time - in your spot BEFORE "Blessed is the Kingdom."

Look, there's no reason to come regularly late to church. Period. Unless you have small children.

Not only is being habitually late showing disrespect to God, it's also disrespectful to your fellow worshipers. In my parish, there are people who regularly come late make a great production of clattering up to the front of the nave, lighting a fistful of candles, and then clattering to a spot, while carrying on conversations.

If the people who are habitually 30-60 minutes late to church regularly showed up to work that late, they would be fired.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

Actually DL is not an acron . . . oh forget it.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »

HUGE priority!

If you have small children, you are essentially given a pass for showing up a bit late to church. But to show up right before the Gospel EVERY Sunday, well, you've got issues.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can get yourself out the door and on time for work, you can get yourself to church on time - in your spot BEFORE "Blessed is the Kingdom."

Look, there's no reason to come regularly late to church. Period. Unless you have small children.

Not only is being habitually late showing disrespect to God, it's also disrespectful to your fellow worshipers. In my parish, there are people who regularly come late make a great production of clattering up to the front of the nave, lighting a fistful of candles, and then clattering to a spot, while carrying on conversations.

If the people who are habitually 30-60 minutes late to church regularly showed up to work that late, they would be fired.

I don't know when I start work. But I imagine I usually start at least 60 minutes late or two hours early.

But I am usually at the liturgy on the dot and everywhere else in life.

I enjoy the "flexible" time schedule for work.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:46:24 PM by orthonorm »

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

For Sunday Divine Liturgy we should place 100% priority, and if we from time to time have to attend to other important matters, that is fine, but they become anomalies, not the norm.  Divine Liturgy is the ABSOLUTE center of Orthodox worship, it is quite literally to stand and pray before the actual Body of Jesus Christ, and as Christians is there honestly anything more important than standing at the literal feet of Jesus Christ?

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
William, after becoming a Roman Catholic some years ago I negotiated with my work to reconfigure my schedule so that I would never work Sunday mornings. It resulted in a lot of long hours and boring closing shifts the rest of the week, but it was worth it because I always had that time set aside for the Lord. I'm with Habte: liturgy comes first. Do not be ashamed in your dealings with others. They may even look up to you for your conviction. Maybe even become curious about what's so great in your church. (But even if they don't, liturgy still comes first.)

Offline TITL

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2011, 11:08:28 PM »

Hmm?

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »

Hmm?

I think he's drawing the initialism/acronym distinction.

Acronym = pronouncable as a word -- eg: LASER.

Initialism = each letter is pronounced separately -- eg: UNHCR.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline TITL

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.

We didn't get that far in school yet.

P.S. I'm still a kid.

Offline leap of faith

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 12:43:07 AM »
Thanks for clarifying.

We didn't get that far in school yet.

P.S. I'm still a kid.

Don't sweat it, kiddo.  Honest questions deserve an honest answer. I, for one, am simply pleased to see a young person taking interest in their faith.  Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:43:55 AM by leap of faith »