OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:51:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icon question  (Read 2100 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: October 21, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »

Hey guys,

My parish is doing the catechism class "The Way". Each week a handout is passed out. Often pictures of icons are on the handouts. Is there anything wrong with cutting the pictures out after the class and using them as icons? If not, should I have them blessed by my priest?
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »

You can ask your priest, but I would say cutting the icons out and using them is far better than throwing them away with the handouts, or otherwise letting them get damaged.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:58:43 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »

It's absolutely fine if you cut them out and use them as icons.  

It's sad when you see people throw them in the trash.

Yes, you can ask your priest to bless them.  

Depending on their size, you could even glue them on a backing (cardboard/board) and modge podge it, so, it would last longer and not deteriorate from handling, etc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:52:40 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

^ Agreed. Most of us 'cradles' who have hit middle age by now have literally drawers full of Holy Cards from funerals and parish celebrations, which we were taught never to part with because they were depictions of icons our Saviour and the Saints. They don't have to be 'written' etc... in order to be holy. The miraculous Iveron Icon now travelling across the country under ROCOR sponsorship is a reproduction of the original, yet it produces myrrh. It is all about faith, not 'rules' or 'styles' IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:57:37 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »

I try to avoid taking the holy cards or printed icons because honestly I don't like to collect clutter and I have no practical use for these small icons. The ones that I cannot slip past I keep in a folder with other things that can't be thrown away (like palm branches and such) and then at the end of the year I have a giant holy fire in my backyard. I honestly wish people wouldn't put icons on so many things so casually.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

I try to avoid taking the holy cards or printed icons because honestly I don't like to collect clutter and I have no practical use for these small icons. The ones that I cannot slip past I keep in a folder with other things that can't be thrown away (like palm branches and such) and then at the end of the year I have a giant holy fire in my backyard. I honestly wish people wouldn't put icons on so many things so casually.

True, but the ones that really mean something to one's soul are perhaps different as opposed to picking one up at each wake you attend.

For example, when I look at the card from my father's ordination in 1942, long before I was born, it connects me to that event and how that event shaped my life and my faith.

Burning the 'non-special' ones is  good idea.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:17:15 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »

^ Agreed. Most of us 'cradles' who have hit middle age by now have literally drawers full of Holy Cards from funerals and parish celebrations, which we were taught never to part with because they were depictions of icons our Saviour and the Saints. They don't have to be 'written' etc... in order to be holy. The miraculous Iveron Icon now travelling across the country under ROCOR sponsorship is a reproduction of the original, yet it produces myrrh. It is all about faith, not 'rules' or 'styles' IMHO.

LOL!  Podkarpatska!  Have you been rummaging through my drawers?    Grin  How'd you know about all my icons?

I have not only prayer cards from funerals, etc, but, icons from calendars, bulletins, etc.  You name it, I have it!

I even have dozens my family brought to America with them.  My uncle was an aspiring iconographer...and I keep them, in the odd chance I should find the time, skill and grace to also write icons.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

You're not allowed to throw away palm branches? What about blessed flowers?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »

LOL!  Podkarpatska!  Have you been rummaging through my drawers?    Grin  How'd you know about all my icons?

I have not only prayer cards from funerals, etc, but, icons from calendars, bulletins, etc.  You name it, I have it!

I even have dozens my family brought to America with them.  My uncle was an aspiring iconographer...and I keep them, in the odd chance I should find the time, skill and grace to also write icons.

I think that is must have been in the Sunday School lessons, no? lol
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

I really don't like it when icons get printed on stuff that's meant to be disposable. For a while our parish's weekly newsletter always had big icons on the front but thankfully that stopped.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

You're not allowed to throw away palm branches? What about blessed flowers?

You should burn them.

—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »

I really don't like it when icons get printed on stuff that's meant to be disposable. For a while our parish's weekly newsletter always had big icons on the front but thankfully that stopped.
Yes, our church programs also have icons on the front.

I actually put two of them in frames myself, and Mr. Ismi thought it looked pretty silly. I agreed in a way, since they are printed on paper and look very cheap next to the beautiful wooden icons. But I hung them next to my desk in my office and I like having them there. I am wavering on whether I should keep them up like this, but I've done it. I only have two small icons at the moment, and I just like being surrounded by depictions of Christ, the Theotokos.

Better than throwing it out.

You can also burn them, if you want to. My priest said to bring anything to him if we didn't want to burn them ourselves, and he would take care of it.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Mariama

Previously known as giraffe

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

Depending on their size, you could even glue them on a backing (cardboard/board) and modge podge it, so, it would last longer and not deteriorate from handling, etc.

I'm glad to hear this since my children and I actually did the bolded this morning as an art project.  We glued them to inexpensive wooden plaques from the arts & crafts store, though.  We hope to use them as instant inexpensive icons for our intended icon corner.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:35 PM »

Perfect!!

—St. Isaac of Syria
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 05:20:14 AM »

I'm glad to hear this since my children and I actually did the bolded this morning as an art project.  We glued them to inexpensive wooden plaques from the arts & crafts store, though.  We hope to use them as instant inexpensive icons for our intended icon corner.

Wonderful.
You could also try a layer of clear varnish on top of the paper icon to help preserve it longer. Our parish doesn't have a permanent building so we have portable icons - many of these were made by our priest by sticking large paper prints of icons to wood, then varnishing them. They've lasted many years already.

IC XC
NI KA
Mariama

Previously known as giraffe

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »

Thank you, I will see if my husband has some varnish somewhere or pick up some in my travels. 

FWIW, my daughters are really proud of them.  They are a bit on the feminine side since we painted the wood with a gold glitter paint first before putting down the paper icon, but the finished product is nice.  I wish I could post a pic!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »

You could also try a layer of clear varnish on top of the paper icon to help preserve it longer.

One layer would not be enough. At least three (and preferably five or six) are required to fully seal the icon, and make it impervious to veneration and cleaning. Especially if sticky little fingers are going to be handling them.  Smiley
FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »

Why is burning a reproduced image preferable to throwing it away?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »

Why is burning a reproduced image preferable to throwing it away?
For much the same reason that a flag (in US at least) is properly disposed of by a dignified burning. Interestingly, the Canadian rule specifies only "in a dignified way", but that in my mind would still exclude tossing it into household garbage.
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »

The flag would be pride surely?

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »

Not pride, honor and respect.

Which is more deserving of honor, a flag representing a nation of people, or an icon of Christ and the saints or anything else that may blessed by God (palm leaves, etc)?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
FountainPen
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 09:03:24 AM »

Not pride, honor and respect.

Which is more deserving of honor, a flag representing a nation of people, or an icon of Christ and the saints or anything else that may blessed by God (palm leaves, etc)?

I don't agree but i can see this developing so i'll leave it there for now.

J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

You could also try a layer of clear varnish on top of the paper icon to help preserve it longer.

One layer would not be enough. At least three (and preferably five or six) are required to fully seal the icon, and make it impervious to veneration and cleaning. Especially if sticky little fingers are going to be handling them.  Smiley

I'm sure you're right on that - it's my priest who made the icons, so I wouldn't know how many coats of varnish he used.

IC XC
NI KA
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: