OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:30:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patristic writings...  (Read 1274 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »

What are some writings from some early Church fathers that would be beneficial for me to read as a future convert?  Anything that will help me understand the faith better would be great.  I havent been doing this as much as I should be...

Id love it if it was available on the Kindle, but if not thats fine too.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »

This podcast A Word from the Holy Fathers was a great help to me in introducing the Fathers to me. I got some glimpses into their writings and then had an idea where to continue my reading.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

What are some writings from some early Church fathers that would be beneficial for me to read as a future convert?  Anything that will help me understand the faith better would be great.  I havent been doing this as much as I should be...

"Early Christian Writings" from Penguin Classics.  "On the Incarnation" from the St. Vladimir's series and "On the Divine Images" of St. John of Damascus of the same series.  And the Desert Fathers.

Do not touch the Ladder of Divine Ascent, stay away from the Philokalia, and don't even think of the Pedalion.  In fact, maybe we should have a thread on books inquirers and recent converts should not read.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »

"Early Christian Writings" from Penguin Classics.  "On the Incarnation" from the St. Vladimir's series and "On the Divine Images" of St. John of Damascus of the same series.  And the Desert Fathers.

Do not touch the Ladder of Divine Ascent, stay away from the Philokalia, and don't even think of the Pedalion.  In fact, maybe we should have a thread on books inquirers and recent converts should not read.

Ive heard other people mention that books such as the ladder and the Philokalia should be avoided.  I was just curious as to why this is.  Is it because they are meant for monks?  Or is it just that its way too over my head?

(I have the icon of the ladder by the way.  I love it...)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »

I had asked a similar question to this before, on another forum, about "Early Christian" writings, and by "early" I was thinking pre-Nicea, and preferably 1st and 2nd centuries. Here is the list I got:

1. Didache
 2. Shepherd of Hermas
 3. Protoevangelium of James
 4. Firsy Epistle to the Corinthians - Clement of Rome
 5. The Epistle of Barnabas
 6. Irenaeus' Against Heresies
 7. St. Justin Martyr's Apologies; Dialogue with Trypho; Discourse to the Greeks; On the Resurrection; On the Sole Government of God
 8. The Epistles of Ignatius
 9. Epistle from Maria of Cassobelae (to Ignatius)
 10. Martyrdom of Polycarp
 11. Polycarp's Epistle to the Phillipians
 12. Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus

A good portion of these will be in "Early Christian Writings", which ialmisry recommended above. His other suggestion are good too. A translation of the Sayings of the Desert Fathers is a available on the GOARCH website:

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8134

IC XC
NI KA
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »

I think all that would do is give a list of writings that would pique most people's interest. It's human nature.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:48:46 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »

lol ya if we started a thread like that, those would be the books that converts read first! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:51:56 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »

I think all that would do is give a list of writings that would pique most people's interest. It's human nature.

This is true! Ha!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

I know a few priests who routinely recommend the Ladder to laity as standard Lenten reading.

In response to the OP I recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Christology-Fathers-Library-Christian-Classics/dp/0664241522#reader_0664241522

It includes St. Athanasius' "On the Incarnation" as well as theological works by St. Gregory the Theologian and St. Gregory of Nyssa. Also a bunch of primary documents in the appendix relating to ecumenical councils.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »

Ive heard other people mention that books such as the ladder and the Philokalia should be avoided.  I was just curious as to why this is.  Is it because they are meant for monks?  Or is it just that its way too over my head?
both.  Reading them without any context (i.e. experience in the Church) lends to misinterpretation of them.  And misuse.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »

I know a few priests who routinely recommend the Ladder to laity as standard Lenten reading.
Laity or convert laity?

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »

Well, dont worry.  I wont read anything you guys dont recommend.  Im just looking to get started/go a little more in depth than I am now.  Ill definitely check out these recommendations!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »

Laity or convert laity?

both

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: