OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:08:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Kerry And Orthodoxy  (Read 3008 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: August 09, 2004, 11:05:07 AM »

Some may consider this as political.  I don't becasue it directly involves the future of Othodoxy in Kosovo.

Orthdoc

==========

August 3, 2004

Why This Democrat Will Not Vote for John Kerry

By William Dorich

Published in The American Srbobran, Pittsburgh

LONDON -- July 28, 2004:  U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful John Kerry has told voters of Albanian extraction that, if he wins the election, the US will again take a leading role in the Balkans and especially in Kosovo.  In a statement carried by the BBC, Kerry promised a quick solution for Kosovo's final status and dismissed any proposals for the division of the province along ethnic lines.

As an American of Serbian heritage I am also a three-time victim of Genocide.  My grandparents were "ethnically cleansed" from Kosovo in

1897.  They resettled in the Krajina region of what is now Croatia and where my father was born.  My father came to the U.S. as a "displaced person" during World War One as a teenage victim of ethnic hatred.

During the Holocaust, 17 members of my family were among the 47 victims burned to death inside the Serbian Orthodox church in Vojnic,

Croatia.  They were murdered by Croatian Nazis, led by a number of Roman Catholic priests who participated in this massacre.  Through the

Vatican "Ratline," they fled to Argentina where they escaped justice.  The same "Ratline" that helped Clause Barbe and 1,070 war criminal

Catholic priests escape from the Balkans. Since the end of American bombing in Kosovo in 1999, over 150 ancient Serbian Orthodox churches have been razed by Albanian terrorists. That represents 37 destroyed churches in each of the past 4 years as Senator Kerry looked the other way as though Serbs somehow deserved it-as a Roman Catholic his indifference is contemptible as though Albanian independence out weighs the religious and cultural genocide taking place in Kosovo right under his nose.   If Kerry refuses to defend minority rights in Kosovo how can we expect him to defend such rights as president?

In March of 2004, 41 Serbian churches were destroyed in a 4 day onslaught of Albanian violence as KFOR troops made themselves scarce-19 Serbians were killed and over 500 Serbian homes went up in flames as John Kerry looked away.  It is more than apparent that a President Kerry would quickly sell out the Serbs in Kosovo by sweeping their human rights under the nearest rug.  I therefore encourage the 1.4 million American Serbs to cast their vote against a John Kerry presidency.

In 1992, the Serbs represented 21% of Kosovo's population...today they represent less than 3%.   The remaining Serbs live in barbed-wired enclosed compounds allegedly "protected" by KFOR troops. But Kosovo Serbs continue to be murdered including elderly women found bludgeoned to death in their bath tubs.  Apparently John Kerry believes that Albanians, who already have their own country, deserve to usurp the land of their Serbian neighbors. Kosovo has been a part of Serbia for a thousand years, stealing it would mock everything the Democratic Party represents.

The Serbian Orthodox Church had its seat in Pec, Kosovo for 950 years. The Patriarchate was moved to Belgrade in 1940 in fear of the impending war with the Nazis.  During the Holocaust, 1.4 million Serbian victims were liquidated, 70,000 in Kosovo.  Tito, the communist dictator, further eroded the Serb population by refusing to allow 120,000 Serbs who fled Kosovo during the war to return to their land.  He gave that land to Albanians.  In 1978 Tito granted autonomy to Kosovo Albanians who quickly ban the Serbian language, burned over 2 million Serbian books, fired Serbs from their jobs and successfully cleansed 100,000 Serbs from Kosovo from 1978 to 1989 by a campaign of violence that included the rape of Serbian girls and Serbian nuns and by burning thousands of Serbian barns as a way of intimidating Serbs to leave.

Senator Kerry continues to ignore the simple fact that 40% of the Albanians in Kosovo are illegal aliens who cross the border into Kosovo as easily as Mexicans cross our border in San Diego each night.  Granting Kosovo independence based on a faked population majority would be immoral.  But what is more immoral than John Kerry's voting record?  It also appears that Senator Kerry defends this orchestrated population majority achieved by such disgusting tactics and that illegal aliens have more rights than the indigenous population in Kosovo. Under a Kerry administration Californians better take his ideas seriously as the illegal Mexican invasion continues at a pace of 16,000 per week.

During "Operation Storm" in Croatia in August of 1995 when 200,000 Serbs were cleansed from Croatia, the last 5 remaining relatives of my name were too old and too sick to flee.  A month later they were found with their throats slit.  As of August, 2004 there are 1.2 million Serbian refugees from the civil wars of Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo who have been prevented from returning to their homes and property.  John

Kerry has been indifferent about the rights of these disenfranchised Serbs.  It is now quite clear that John Kerry would give their land to their tormentors.  Kerry's Kosovo policy reveals that he is the worst kind of bigot and that his ideas of democracy and freedom are laced with special interest and self-serving politics.  A pox on John Kerry and everything he represents.

Posted to the Kerry web site.

John G. Sames

Parish Administrator

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 11:26:17 AM »

Well, I don't know.

Mr. Bush has not been the most active in the region, while Kerry seems to be marrying himself with the Albanian nationalist-extremists.  Would Mr. Kerry actually *do* anything?  

I think he would follow the status quo of letting the EU "have its way" with the Balkans.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 11:33:37 AM »

Woa.  Shocked
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 03:20:44 PM »

The policies of BOTH (or three if you include the EU/UN) sides, if indeed that's the correct term, are detestable.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 08:38:11 AM »

I'm actually more concerned about the news that Hashim Thaci (for those who don't know, he's the head of the KLA, which is responsible for most of the destroyed churches in Kosovo) was invited to and attended the Democratic National Convention.  On August 4, he reported that Kerry promised him the independence of "Kosova."  

What's most disturbing to me is that the Serbs, who, until the 1972 revision of the Yugoslav constitution, made up a very large minority spread out through Kosovo.  

While the numbers dwindled through the 70s and 80s, they were still found all over.  After NATO intervention, however, the Serb population has been forced into ghettos where they are terrorized and are often not allowed to leave on pain of death.  The history of their existence in Kosovo is being destroyed.  

Mr. Bush is doing nothing to stop the genocide.  Mr. Kerry apparently wants the genocide to go faster.  The difference, I'm afraid, is in timing.  But sometimes timing makes all the difference.

Samo sloga Srbina spasava . . . or perhaps the intercession of the Theotokos.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 06:43:17 PM »

It seems that my post from yesterday was deleted accidentally, or on purpose and no one notified me  Sad

Anyway, the Orthodox Christians in Kosovo-Metohija need our prayers.  Anyone interested in financially helping them can send donations to (checks out to "Kosovo Fund"):

Serbian Orthodox Metropolitanate of Midwestern America
Attn: Kosovo Fund
18550 Stony Island Ave.
Lansing, IL  60438

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 07:11:03 PM »

It sounds to me, at least, that Mr. Bush's nomination of Porter Goss may bring a new slant to policies directed toward the Balkans.  We may even get a balanced approach on how the Kosovo Serbs are treated.  I sure hope so.

JoeS

Excepts from a recent article:

Did massacres "ethnic cleansing" of Milosevic actually occur?
"Yes, there were atrocities. But no, they don't measure up to the advance billing," says House intelligence chairman Porter Goss, R-Fla. Instead of 100,000 ethnic Albanian men feared murdered by rampaging Serbs, officials now estimate that about 10,000 were killed. 600,000 ethnic Albanians were not ...buried in mass graves ... as President Clinton told a veterans group in May...they are healthy. " - USA Today, 07/02/99

In a May speech before a veterans group, Mr. Clinton asserted that 600,000 ethnic Albanians were "trapped within Kosovo itself lacking shelter, short of food, afraid to go home, or buried in mass graves dug by their executioners." In fact, reported USA Today, "Though thousands [of Albanian men] hid in Kosovo, they are healthy." Additionally, "Kosovo’s livestock, wheat, and other crops are growing, not slaughtered wholesale or torched as widely reported." "Yes, there were atrocities," commented House Intelligence Committee Chairman Porter Goss (R-FL). "But no, they don’t measure up to the advance billing."

Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 07:32:14 PM »

Do you have a link for that article?  I could use it.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

I dunno-- I think Kosovo is way too single-issue a basis to vote for president.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »

Tell that too a Serb.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 02:19:41 AM »

I can't see Americans of Serbian extraction being a swing vote in this election, and I wouldn't trust a Serb-American Republican not to lean on this sort of appeal in order to get votes for Bush-- for reasons of their own. OK, call me cynical.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 02:49:16 AM »

Not enough to swing an election, but I know a very liberal serb family that will never again vote democrat because of the Kosovo invasion.  Serbs are people too, Keble.
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 05:04:55 AM »

The KLA is an organisation involved in ethnic cleansing against the Serb and Roma people, erasing of Orthodox places of worship and Serb property. All serious crimes. This organisation is also involved in gangsterism, political coercion, narcotics and human trafficking linked to enforced prostitution.

Previous US and UK involvement with armed Afghan resistance to the Soviet invaders, and the subsequent progression of some of these fighters into international terrorists seems to be a lesson American administrations and those seeking office seem incapable or unwilling to learn.

A reason for the breakup of Yugoslavia, carefully engineered by the western powers, was the supposed Serb objective of working toward a Greater Serbia. The KLAs' objective of working toward a Greater Albania using methods in contravention of international law is, on the other hand, worthy of John Kerry's support.

If true then Kerry is, sadly, either cynically using this matter simply to gain a few votes and/or he is a fool who has learnt nothing from the Afghan debacle. When the Soviets invaded Afghanistan and met resistance both the US and UK armed and trained these 'patriots'. Their flawed logic was 'my enemies enemy is my friend". This same 'patriots' became the international terrorists known as Al-Queda. Trained, equipped and funded initially by the West. Will the politicians learn? Probably not. Will voters discern, that remains to be seen. If they don't I only see more terrorists and more western targets, because of the foolish of politicans and those who serve them.

It is afterwards that events are best understood
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 09:38:36 AM »

Personally, I think Prez Bush is a dunce when it comes to understanding what is going on in the Balkans.  I say this because I have yet to hear any official speech or proclamation from the Bush adminstration on the plight of the Serbs.  I hope that this Porter Goss, if nominated,  will have the ear of the President and maybe something will be done to protect the Serb minorities in Kosovo.  Right now, this appointment is our only hope in this adminstration.  Hey, lets hope they strike oil in Kososvo and maybe this will have the effect we are looking for.

JoeS :-";"xx
ByzantineSerb

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 05:57:58 PM »

Keble makes a very valid point; there are only 160,000 plus of "us Serbs" in the United States. Obviously, Slavs don't retain powers that the Irish, Germans, Hispanics and Americans of varying African/black races have managed to wield.

Our greatest strength (a distant second to that of Almighty God) can be found, IMHO, in you, our brethern of the Greek, Russian, and other Churches in said Communion. We look to you to stand by us as our holy lands are being
overrun....again. Franklin appropriately said, "We must all hang together, or assuredly we will all hang seperately."

Never underestimate a Serb, though. St. Emperor Lazar was martyred, with countless brave soldiers, for the survival of the holy land at Kosovo-Polje in 1389. The courageous peasant Hajduks wrought numerous, and justified, attacks upon the murderous, venemous Turks in the succeeding centuries following 1389, and after (too many) years of occupation, the Turkish yoke was finally broken in 1839. Kosovo was brought back into the fold of Christendom, and by God, we aren't losing her once more*!

If anyone can give a link to an article regarding John Kerry and this "Kosova" liberation rubbish, I'd be very appreciative. It's likely that Kerry is doing this to appear friendly to those who stuggle for "freedom"- politics as usual.

Note: I am NOT propogating violence against Moslems, just so this isn't misunderstood; I am merely passionate concerning this issue, so forgive me if I seem irrational.

If we live as people of God, there will be room for all nations in the Balkans and in the world. If we liken ourselves to Cain who killed his brother Abel, then the entire earth will be too small even for two people. The Lord Jesus Christ teaches us to be
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 08:07:52 PM »

A little more grist for the mill...from

http://news.suc.org/bydate/2004/August_04/8.html

Albanian money attracts Kerry's interest, BBC Monitoring / Stella Jatras, August 04, 2004

"The Bush administration has been far more inclined to the Serbian side, as far as the resolution of the Kosovo problem is concerned, which has not been properly exploited. I am afraid that, if the Democrats take over, a solution will be found that will suit the Serbs far less than the Albanians," Antic said."

[ Excerpt from report by N. M. Jovanovic entilted: "Kerry's victory would be negative for Serbia"; published by Serbian newspaper Blic on 29 July ]

It appears that the US Democrats hold the view that the resolution of the Kosovo issue can no longer be put off and their candidate's victory would surely step up matters as far as the status of Kosovo is concerned, but would not be in line with Serbia's state interests.

Presidential candidate John Kerry yesterday promised a stepped-up resolution of the status of Kosovo, according to the BBC's Serbian-language service. In a statement primarily intended for voters of Albanian descent, Kerry said that, if he won, the United States would again assume the role of a leader in the Balkans and especially Kosovo.

The stepping-up of a decision on the final status of Kosovo is promised, any partitioning of the province along ethnic lines is rejected, and it is assessed that the "people of Kosovo must alone decide its future and system of government".

Cedomir Antic, adviser to Serbian Deputy Prime Minister Miroljub Labus, has said that a Kerry victory would not be good news for Serbia.

"The Bush administration has been far more inclined to the Serbian side, as far as the resolution of the Kosovo problem is concerned, which has not been properly exploited. I am afraid that, if the Democrats take over, a solution will be found that will suit the Serbs far less than the Albanians," Antic said.

He said that the turning of Kosovo into a republic could mean the disintegration of the state community.

"In that kind of a state, in which the only common institutions would be the army and the Council of Ministers, the 2.5 million Albanians and about 600,000 Montenegrins would have more power than the 6.5 million citizens of Serbia who have the right to vote," Antic said. He added that Kerry's election as US president would step up that kind of solutions.

"Let me recall that Morton Abramovich said earlier that Kosovo would be given the same status as Serbia and Montenegro. That would be something between a confederation and a union of independent states. We have been underestimating the role of the United States so far and we will pay for this. The Serbian authorities have in the past four years pursued a tragically passive policy," Antic said, adding that that "is obviously not clear to the mannequins in power".

Antic also said that Serbian President Boris Tadic had not mentioned the Serbian government's plan for Kosovo in his talks with US officials.

"Since the Serbian government is a minority government, it has done what it could to improve the position of the Serbs in Kosovo somewhat, but that was not mentioned in the United States," Antic concluded.

SOURCE: Blic, Belgrade, in Serbian 29 Jul 04 p 3
Copyright 2004 British Broadcasting Corporation
BBC Monitoring Europe - Political
Supplied by BBC Worldwide Monitoring

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »

Bush's war policies are against Church teachings, and I regret that Kerry lost.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »

Matthew 777,

Unfortunately this board is an entirely political one and I have avoided it in the past, although I can understand what you wrote.

However, (I am by NO means a Bush lover), but vote for Kerry would have undoubtedly meant the independence of Kosovo and the further destruction and desicrations of Orthodox religious structures.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a major political force (in the West) that really, truly and honestly supports Orthodoxy.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 05:08:23 PM »

Bush's war policies are against Church teachings, and I regret that Kerry lost.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

Both candidates were flawed for sure, but seeing that one of them supports the genocide of the innocent, what other viable options were there besides not voting at all? I hope you are not saying that you would have supported german politicians back in WWII who murdered jews and christians because I don't see the difference between that and those that promote a culture of death today.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: