OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:38:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac Monasticism in Tur Abdin: A Present-Day Account  (Read 1110 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »

A very good article about Mor Gabriyal Monastery and the Syriac community of Tur Abdin

Syriac Monasticism in Tur Abdin: A Present-Day Account
by Mark DelCogliano

"Tur Abdin is our Holy Mountain, in the soil of which are buried the precious remains of our fathers, the saints, ascetics, and martyrs. Tur Abdin truly means everything to us. In other words it is a summary and complete example of the history of our Syriac Church. Therefore the love of Tur Abdin has a special place in our hearts. The ancient monasteries and churches are sacred to us. . . .We regard Tur Abdin as a holy site, second only to Jerusalem, and look on our visits there as pilgrimages."

http://www.monks.org/csq/delcogl_turkey.pdf

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »

A very good article about Mor Gabriyal Monastery and the Syriac community of Tur Abdin

Syriac Monasticism in Tur Abdin: A Present-Day Account
by Mark DelCogliano

"Tur Abdin is our Holy Mountain, in the soil of which are buried the precious remains of our fathers, the saints, ascetics, and martyrs. Tur Abdin truly means everything to us. In other words it is a summary and complete example of the history of our Syriac Church. Therefore the love of Tur Abdin has a special place in our hearts. The ancient monasteries and churches are sacred to us. . . .We regard Tur Abdin as a holy site, second only to Jerusalem, and look on our visits there as pilgrimages."

http://www.monks.org/csq/delcogl_turkey.pdf
I can't get pdf her, so I don't know if it is mentioned, but Tur Abdin means "Mountain of Worshippers."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »

Isa, is there anything you don't know! That bit of info was not in the article, very good to know though. Thanks.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »

My bishop has visited Tur Abdin several times, and is part of the Tur Abdin Focus Group.

He has published a report here..

http://britishorthodox.org/glastonbury-review-archive/glastonbury-review-archive-issue-112/7/

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »

Isa, is there anything you don't know! That bit of info was not in the article, very good to know though. Thanks.

It's on page 3 (313) of the PDF, but yes, Isa is a very learned man.  Smiley

As with everything else these days, some of the monasteries also have websites:

Mor Gabriel (the oldest surviving Syriac Orthodox monastery, est. 397. Website in Turkish and English)

Deir ul-Zafaran (Saffron Monastery) (only in Turkish, but with lots of pictures and such)

I would love to visit some day. Your bishop is a very lucky man, Father Peter.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

selam all
great links wonderful read thank you all. Glory be to God!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »

It's on page 3 (313) of the PDF, but yes, Isa is a very learned man.  Smiley

Thanks for the correction, dzheremi! So much for a quick look over during my work break  Cheesy

I would love to visit some day. Your bishop is a very lucky man, Father Peter.

Indeed!

Tags: Syriac Orthodox Church  Tur Abdin Syriac Orthodox Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: