Author Topic: Cross not made by human hands  (Read 846 times)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Cross not made by human hands
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »

From the thread in "Christian News"  - http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40435.new.html#new

The page that the thread referred to was: http://www.taday.ru/text/1245036.html which shows images of various churches and scenes of Orthodoxy in the Transcarpathian regions.

A couple of the photos are labeled:  нерукотворный крест  (Cross not made by human hands).

I've never seen anything like this.

With the help of Google, it seems these crosses appear inside tree stumps.  In one story a woman was cutting wood and when the log split open, it revealed the 8 pointed Orthodox Cross.  http://www.nr2.ru/nn/126383.html

Has anyone heard of this before?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
Re: Cross not made by human hands
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »
Dark coloured markings appear in wood sometimes.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »

Markings in the shape of a cross, apparently.

I've never heard of this before.

I find it fascinating.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
darn, and only if it was the Virgin's face somebody would be rich....can anyone say grilled cheese sammich? :)

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
darn, and only if it was the Virgin's face somebody would be rich....can anyone say grilled cheese sammich? :)

PP
I dunno, I think that those markings look clearer than a vaguely humanish silhouette on a sandwich. Especially the eight point one.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant