OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 06:45:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alarm bells ring in the Vatican as Brazilian Church heads deeper into crisis  (Read 977 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 19, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »

Thirty years ago, 90% of Brazilians called themselves Catholic. Now, this figure has dropped to 68%, the lowest since 1872. Alarm bells have started ringing because more and more people in the world’s largest Catholic country (140 million faithful), are severing their ties with Rome.

So much for a Latin America that was once a land of hope for global Catholicism. Today’s figures show quite the opposite. According to data published by the “Getulio Vargas” foundation, over the last decade, as a result of secularisation and the boom in evangelisation sects, the number of Brazilian Catholics is constantly falling, as dozens of evangelical denominations grow disproportionately. A study carried out on 200 thousand people by Brazil’s main research institute, portrays a progressive distancing, particularly of new generations, from the Catholic Church.
According to the U.S. note, the Holy See is sounding the alarm because of the growth of Evangelical Churches in Brazil. The Vatican Secretary of State believes that Brazil and Latin America must be considered a “missionary land”, where the Church needs to “start from scratch” and “the clergy needs to be retrained” if the advance of the Evangelical Churches is to be halted.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »

Thirty years ago, 90% of Brazilians called themselves Catholic. Now, this figure has dropped to 68%, the lowest since 1872. Alarm bells have started ringing because more and more people in the world’s largest Catholic country (140 million faithful), are severing their ties with Rome.

So much for a Latin America that was once a land of hope for global Catholicism. Today’s figures show quite the opposite. According to data published by the “Getulio Vargas” foundation, over the last decade, as a result of secularisation and the boom in evangelisation sects, the number of Brazilian Catholics is constantly falling, as dozens of evangelical denominations grow disproportionately. A study carried out on 200 thousand people by Brazil’s main research institute, portrays a progressive distancing, particularly of new generations, from the Catholic Church.
According to the U.S. note, the Holy See is sounding the alarm because of the growth of Evangelical Churches in Brazil. The Vatican Secretary of State believes that Brazil and Latin America must be considered a “missionary land”, where the Church needs to “start from scratch” and “the clergy needs to be retrained” if the advance of the Evangelical Churches is to be halted.

Compare this to its attittude to what it is up to in Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe.

The percentage was only 68% in 1872?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »

Well it could ultimately be a good thing. Like the Ukrainians and the talks of the "Evangelical Synthesis", perhaps many of the Evangelical converts will actually gain greater familiarity with the Holy Scriptures and also begin to cultivate a greater inner investment into their faith and have it exist less as a "mere" cultural accident. After all of this takes place, then maybe the seeds will be sewn for a return to a more apostolic form of Christianity. The ones converting now may eventually become prodigal children. Not everything about these intrusions are bad, however. Of course I guess they could just lead people by the hand into secularism, which is the next stop on the Protestant express. First stop, "me and God". Second stop, "me."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »

Yup....still waiting for those Greek Catholic Ukrainians to return to their Ukrainian Orthodox roots!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »

Well it could ultimately be a good thing. Like the Ukrainians and the talks of the "Evangelical Synthesis", perhaps many of the Evangelical converts will actually gain greater familiarity with the Holy Scriptures and also begin to cultivate a greater inner investment into their faith and have it exist less as a "mere" cultural accident. After all of this takes place, then maybe the seeds will be sewn for a return to a more apostolic form of Christianity. The ones converting now may eventually become prodigal children. Not everything about these intrusions are bad, however. Of course I guess they could just lead people by the hand into secularism, which is the next stop on the Protestant express. First stop, "me and God". Second stop, "me."
yeah, in many ways this could be a good thing, as evangelicalism, unlike apostolic forms of Christianity, have no staying power.  I know many Orthodox who are better Orthodox from their stint with the evangelicals.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »

Yup....still waiting for those Greek Catholic Ukrainians to return to their Ukrainian Orthodox roots!   Wink
Aмінь! Aмінь! Aмінь!

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »

Does anyone know how Orthodoxy is doing in Brazil?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »

Brazil and the Rise of the Evangelical Church

It was once the case that Brazilians worshipped as one in the thousands of Catholic churches spread around this vast country. But a religious revolution is taking place, and a new dynamic form of charismatic Evangelical Christianity is taking over. A quarter of Brazilians now worship in Evangelical churches, many of them practicing the Prosperity gospel which promises them happiness and fulfilment in return for a proportion of their wealth. And its wealth, along with power and influence, which the Catholic Church previously claimed as its own, is the result of this increased membership. Paulo Cabral investigates why Brazilians are turning from the Catholicism which has had a presence in Brazil for over 500 years, and how the charismatic churches have become so popular changing the way many Brazilians in some of the poorest areas of the country profess their faith and accumulating this vast wealth and political power along the way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:29:31 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »

Would that be me your waiting for!!!!!  Grin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »

Why, yes, it would. Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: