OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 10:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The fall of Constantinople (muslim version)  (Read 5861 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »

Alright, I am actually unsure if this is the right place to put this but I just wanted to see what people might thing of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tDKfvgvlA

Personally I find this movie pretty insulting.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:43 AM »

And our version is probably insulting to the muslims. That's how wars usually are. Every party has it's propaganda.

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »

Maybe, but they could at least make just a bit realistic, I mean some of the people in the movie weren't even alive during the fall of Constantinople. But then again, you are probably right. I wonder how our movie would look like.  Cheesy

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:03 AM »

I hope the cartoon alludes to the soldiers raping the women in the city.  We'd hate to leave that detail out for the kiddos.  Islam, religion of peace, tolerance, and free women for conquering soldiers.  

And just this week: for every two captive women and one slave, you get a free confiscated chalice and relic set!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:03:27 AM »

And our version is probably insulting to the muslims. That's how wars usually are. Every party has it's propaganda.

Well, I can certainly see how our depiction of them slaughtering the unarmed, raping the women, enslaving the children could be totally misconstrued.  Piling up bodies in the Churches, etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »

Well, I can certainly see how our depiction of them slaughtering the unarmed, raping the women, enslaving the children could be totally misconstrued.  Piling up bodies in the Churches, etc.

I wasn't declaring the muslim army as innocent. The fall of Costantinople was extremely lametable event. However I doubt that there has ever been a war where that kind of ruthless incidents doesn't happen.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »

I hope the cartoon alludes to the soldiers raping the women in the city.  We'd hate to leave that detail out for the kiddos.  Islam, religion of peace, tolerance, and free women for conquering soldiers.  

And just this week: for every two captive women and one slave, you get a free confiscated chalice and relic set!
I can't get youtube, so is this "Fatih"?  Yeah, it was "interesting."  Various Muslim da'wah (proselytising) organization market it to children and children's groups.   The ads have Mehmet as a savior who put an end to corruption in Istanbul. LOL.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »

I can't get youtube, so is this "Fatih"?  Yeah, it was "interesting."  Various Muslim da'wah (proselytising) organization market it to children and children's groups.   The ads have Mehmet as a savior who put an end to corruption in Istanbul. LOL.

Yep, that's the one.

-St Silouan the athonite
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:55 AM »

Is da'wah an obligation in Islam?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »

Yes, at least many scholars argue so.

I don't understand Urdu- is that fat guy in green supposed to be the Roman Emperor?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »

I don't understand Urdu- is that fat guy in green supposed to be the Roman Emperor?

Yes, I think so.

-St Silouan the athonite
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:51 PM »

I doubt that there has ever been a war where that kind of ruthless incidents doesn't happen.
Yeah, but this is a barbarian horde attacking a city just for the plunder/glory/land. It's not as if the Greeks were itching to fight the Turks at that point.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

This one has English dubs (for anyone interested). This cartoon is pretty absurd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvlBOABe2A&feature=related

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »

This one has English dubs (for anyone interested). This cartoon is pretty absurd.

Thank you fotr that. I did remember seeing a dubbed version but when I searched this was the only one I could find.
I also looked at one of the commentaries. I thought that the golden age of the byzantine empire was from the 8th to the 10th century or am I wrong?

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »

Thank you fotr that. I did remember seeing a dubbed version but when I searched this was the only one I could find.
I also looked at one of the commentaries. I thought that the golden age of the byzantine empire was from the 8th to the 10th century or am I wrong?

The guy who says the "golden age" ended with Justinian didn't know what he was talking about. That said "golden ages" can be slippery things.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »

Thank you for the answers. I was asking because it is only the convert Muslims who seem to be interested in da'wah in Finland whereas immigrants tend to rather indifferent about it. But I guess this is not the first incident when missionary religion turns into an ethnic ghetto. Actually this sounds rather Orthodox, even.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »

Thank you for the answers. I was asking because it is only the convert Muslims who seem to be interested in da'wah in Finland whereas immigrants tend to rather indifferent about it. But I guess this is not the first incident when missionary religion turns into an ethnic ghetto. Actually this sounds rather Orthodox, even.

Yes, the reason why some preachers are so adamant about the importance of da'wah is because hardly anyone is bothering to do it. They say that converting someone to Islam will earn great favor at the Judgment, cover up many sins, etc.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

Maybe, but they could at least make just a bit realistic, I mean some of the people in the movie weren't even alive during the fall of Constantinople. But then again, you are probably right. I wonder how our movie would look like.  Cheesy

My version of the movie would end with Alexander Nevski and Harald Hardrada showing up with an army of their Rus/Viking Druzhina and elephant-riding cossacks liberating the city and throwing Mehmet into a pond full of sharks and piranhas.  And then they would reconquer the Holy Land.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

My version of the movie would end with Alexander Nevski and Harald Hardrada showing up with an army of their Rus/Viking Druzhina and elephant-riding cossacks liberating the city and throwing Mehmet into a pond full of sharks and piranhas.  And then they would reconquer the Holy Land.

I wonder if we could convince Disney or DreamWorks to make the movie  Cheesy

-St Silouan the athonite
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »

Just wondering if American legendary movies about the American West appear as ridiculous to say, Native Americans? (I'm not arguing any moral equivalence, so please calm down out there.....)
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »

Just wondering if American legendary movies about the American West appear as ridiculous to say, Native Americans? (I'm not arguing any moral equivalence, so please calm down out there.....)
Maybe they do, and if we have to be honest, many of the old western movies are pretty unrealistic concerning Native Americans. Thats why I prefer the later westerns that usually potray them in a more postive light.

-St Silouan the athonite
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

I hope the cartoon alludes to the soldiers raping the women in the city.  We'd hate to leave that detail out for the kiddos.  Islam, religion of peace, tolerance, and free women for conquering soldiers. 

Constantinople? Try the rape of Cyprus if in the 1970's if that scenario is in question. Same modus operandi. Despicable people; Nothing has changed with them.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:18 PM »

They probably wouldn't be too offended. I'm not sure how they would be offended by seeing a bunch of Italians running around in buckskins with feathers in their hair.  They'd probably just mutter something about how the wasi'chu have no fashion sense whatsoever.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »

Send the script to Veggie Tales.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:04 PM »

Just don't be surprised when the Iranian film industry puts out their alternative history version where the Moors don't get expelled from Spain and Ferdinand doesn't restore Catholicism.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »

I was just upset that in the movie they had multiple canons.  Really they only had one.  the siege took forever.  (at least according to the Byantine Museum curator in Thessaloniki...lol) 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »

Well the CEO of that publishing company is Orthodox, so they might be interested.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

I was just upset that in the movie they had multiple canons.  Really they only had one.  the siege took forever.  (at least according to the Byantine Museum curator in Thessaloniki...lol)  
It took forever, but Mehmet had several dozen canons.  He had one large one in particular which packed a large punch

(its second generation)
but because it took forever to reload, the Romans were able to repair the walls as it assaulted.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:46:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »

Just don't be surprised when the Iranian film industry puts out their alternative history version where the Moors don't get expelled from Spain and Ferdinand doesn't restore Catholicism.

Ha ha!  Watch them Papists squirm!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »

I was just upset that in the movie they had multiple canons.  Really they only had one.  the siege took forever.  (at least according to the Byantine Museum curator in Thessaloniki...lol)  
It took forever, but Mehmet had several dozen canons.  He had one large one in particular which packed a large punch

(its second generation)
but because it took forever to reload, the Romans were able to repair the walls as it assaulted.

yah!  you're right!  (obviously).  that's what I remember the professor saying as well.  thanks for the help! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:52 PM »

...many of the old western movies are pretty unrealistic concerning Native Americans. Thats why I prefer the later westerns that usually potray them in a more postive light.

Many of them miss the mark as well.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:47 AM »

Maybe they do, and if we have to be honest, many of the old western movies are pretty unrealistic concerning Native Americans. Thats why I prefer the later westerns that usually potray them in a more postive light.

You mean James Cameron's Avatar aka Blue Pocahontas?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:53 AM »

Turkish propaganda? Huh
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:24 AM »

Turkish propaganda? Huh

Umm...Urdu-speaking Turks? Something is not quite right here.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 07:12:26 AM »

...many of the old western movies are pretty unrealistic concerning Native Americans. Thats why I prefer the later westerns that usually potray them in a more postive light.

I know, but let's face it. Not many western movies are historically accurate.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »

You mean James Cameron's Avatar aka Blue Pocahontas?

Though the movie was pretty impressive, I was thinking about something more like this:

-St Silouan the athonite
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

Ha ha!  Watch them Papists squirm!

If they do part two, they probably will poach some of Mel Brook's outtakes on the Inquisistion!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »

Historical accuracy is usually OK for scholarly works or even popular non-fiction, but it usually doesn't sell in the movies. (or the theater...Shakespeare comes to mind!) Historical 'fiction' or adaptations are designed for the popular audience and/or to propagandize.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

Historical accuracy is usually OK for scholarly works or even popular non-fiction, but it usually doesn't sell in the movies. (or the theater...Shakespeare comes to mind!) Historical 'fiction' or adaptations are designed for the popular audience and/or to propagandize.

I laugh when people try to make "historically accurate" King Arthur films or "historically accurate" Greek mythology.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »

Turkish propaganda? Huh

Umm...Urdu-speaking Turks? Something is not quite right here.
LOL. Why?  Urdu is a Turkic word.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »

I know better to argue with Isa, but may I point out that Urdu is an Indo-European language used mostly in Pakistan.

Back to the "movie," it is certainly possible that it may have been produced by Pakistanis, with Saudi financing and under the aegis of the ISI. BTW, I had never heard Turks call the Conqueror anything by Fatih Sultan Mehmet, not Sultan Muhammad Fateh.

Regarding the Turks of that era, there are many facts that apply to them. First, they were indeed welcomed in some Bulgarian and Greek areas with bread and salt. Second, they were very practical and much less cruel to their subjects than many others. Third, they were related by blood to the ruling family of Constantinople as well as other Christian ruling families. Third, every body coveted Constantinople, which was the greatest and richest city in the world for centuries: Arabs, Latins, and Bulgarians come to mind. BTW, the Bulgarians had stopped a large Arab force early in the 8th Century because if anybody would take Tsarigrad--the City of the Caesar, it would have to be themselves!. Fourth, for at least 200 years, the Sultan promoted folks based on their intellect and merits, hereby benefiting his Christian subjects, mainly the more educated and cosmopolitan Greeks. Incidentally, Mehmet II personally vested Patriarch Gennadius shortly after taking over the city: "On 1 June 1453, just three days after the fall of the city, the new Patriarch's procession passed through the streets where Mehmed received Gennadius graciously and himself invested him with the signs of his office – the crosier (dikanikion) and mantle." Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennadius_Scholarius#Patriarch. Fifth, rape and pillage has been standard reward for the victorious armies for centuries.

That said, the movie is indeed garbage; for all her faults, Byzantium did not deserve to be conquered and rescued from her own "decadence."  Also, the Turks degenerated after Suleiman the Magnificent and their rule became very cruel indeed after him.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

Well, I can certainly see how our depiction of them slaughtering the unarmed, raping the women, enslaving the children could be totally misconstrued.  Piling up bodies in the Churches, etc.

Wait, are we talking about the Muslims, or the heroes of the Old Testament? Murdering the unarmed, enslaving kids, raping women... sounds the same to me...  Huh
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:44:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »

I know better to argue with Isa, but may I point out that Urdu is an Indo-European language used mostly in Pakistan.

Back to the "movie," it is certainly possible that it may have been produced by Pakistanis, with Saudi financing and under the aegis of the ISI. BTW, I had never heard Turks call the Conqueror anything by Fatih Sultan Mehmet, not Sultan Muhammad Fateh.

Regarding the Turks of that era, there are many facts that apply to them. First, they were indeed welcomed in some Bulgarian and Greek areas with bread and salt. Second, they were very practical and much less cruel to their subjects than many others. Third, they were related by blood to the ruling family of Constantinople as well as other Christian ruling families. Third, every body coveted Constantinople, which was the greatest and richest city in the world for centuries: Arabs, Latins, and Bulgarians come to mind. BTW, the Bulgarians had stopped a large Arab force early in the 8th Century because if anybody would take Tsarigrad--the City of the Caesar, it would have to be themselves!. Fourth, for at least 200 years, the Sultan promoted folks based on their intellect and merits, hereby benefiting his Christian subjects, mainly the more educated and cosmopolitan Greeks. Incidentally, Mehmet II personally vested Patriarch Gennadius shortly after taking over the city: "On 1 June 1453, just three days after the fall of the city, the new Patriarch's procession passed through the streets where Mehmed received Gennadius graciously and himself invested him with the signs of his office – the crosier (dikanikion) and mantle." Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennadius_Scholarius#Patriarch. Fifth, rape and pillage has been standard reward for the victorious armies for centuries.

That said, the movie is indeed garbage; for all her faults, Byzantium did not deserve to be conquered and rescued from her own "decadence."  Also, the Turks degenerated after Suleiman the Magnificent and their rule became very cruel indeed after him.
The only error I can read in your synopsis of the sultan's treatment of his Christian subjects is that in order to be so rewarded by the sultan for any reason or purpose these "Christians" had to convert to Islam, taking Muslim names in the process. Most of the educated aristocrats took this easy path to retaining their wealth and position while the common peasants remained in dhimmitude.

And Urdu is Turkic, but this does not disqualify it from the Indo-European language trunk.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:53:44 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »

And Urdu is Turkic, but this does not disqualify it from the Indo-European language trunk.

No it isn't, apart from some Turkic loan words.  By definition, a Turkic language cannot be in the Indo-European language trunk.

Urdu's family is as follows (in descending order from largest to smallest):
-Indo-European (Family)  Note the map of IE languages.
-Indo-Iranian (Branch)
-Indo-Aryan  (sub-Branch)
-Central Zone
-Hindustani
-Urdu

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

Whatever....I would bet I am the only one here who hears Urdu every single day at work and my ear, well used to foreign tongues, disagrees. Have you actually read your references?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: