OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics, the "pedophilia scandal", and Fasting  (Read 1057 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« on: October 18, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »

In this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39601.0.html, it was claimed that there is a connection between the "pedophilia" scandal (presumably within the Catholic Church) and a lack of fasting.  See replies #78 ff. in the above thread for the whole discussion to date.  Maria suggested a new thread, so here it is.

I've asked for some proof beyond a correlation and/or speculation but so far haven't received any.

Any comments?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

Fwiw, if you click on the link at the top of each post it will link you to that post, for example...
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »

I have been counseled by several priests and monastics that one of the best defenses to safeguard oneself against the temptations of flesh is to fast.  And I think they're right, based on my own experiences.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »

Fasting definitely curbs the passions, especially fornication.  This is a fact.  The Fathers have taught us so.  However, I find it prepostrous to suggest that the pedophilia scandal is due to a lack of fasting.  The lack of fasting in the Latin church is not the source of the Latin church's problem, it is merely a symptom of a far greater disease.  I certainly think that the urge to engage in sexual acts with children would lessen, although insignificantly, if one were to fast on Weds/Fri, but fasting alone does not quell the pedophilic urge.  Perhaps extreme aceticism, profound mortification of the body as lived out by the Fathers in the desert, could quell the passion, but not Wednesday/Friday fasting.  People with such a sexual orientation are profoundly disordered, to borrow a term from the CCC.  Such a profound disorder requires a profound intervention. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »

Fasting definitely curbs the passions, especially fornication.  This is a fact.  The Fathers have taught us so.  However, I find it prepostrous to suggest that the pedophilia scandal is due to a lack of fasting.  The lack of fasting in the Latin church is not the source of the Latin church's problem, it is merely a symptom of a far greater disease.  I certainly think that the urge to engage in sexual acts with children would lessen, although insignificantly, if one were to fast on Weds/Fri, but fasting alone does not quell the pedophilic urge.  Perhaps extreme aceticism, profound mortification of the body as lived out by the Fathers in the desert, could quell the passion, but not Wednesday/Friday fasting.  People with such a sexual orientation are profoundly disordered, to borrow a term from the CCC.  Such a profound disorder requires a profound intervention. 

Thank you for that!

No one here I believe, least of all me, would question the fact that fasting is an enormous aid in combating our passions, fleshly and otherwise.  I think that the "far greater disease" you speak of is not at all unique to the "Latin church", but is rather endemic in our society as a whole and infects virtually every part of it to greater or lesser degree.  But I think that might be a different discussion and I don't think that I have the credentials or qualifications to go into detail about that.  I'm sure others here do, however. 

And yes, profound intervention, as you say, is most certainly required when the disorder manifests so horrifically.

I'll stick my neck out here and go so far as to say that fasting, in and of itself, may only help so much.  Prayer and more prayer, along with good spiritual direction, and partaking of the Sacraments can only enhance greatly that which fasting may effect.

I'm still very curious though, if Maria or anyone else can provide some evidence that I asked for in replies 78 and 91 of the above-mentioned thread.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »

Most of the sexual sins among Catholic priests that have been brought to light and some sort of justice over the past decade have NOT been examples of pedophilia...A tiny percentage of an already tiny percentage of the general population of Catholic priests have tampered with children.  Pedophilia is not defined as sexual misconduct with minors.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: