OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:59:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the Jesus Prayer so hard??  (Read 1641 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 18, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »

When I first found out about this prayer, I thought "Oh, thats nice! A short simple prayer that I can pray whenever I want.  Its easy to remember too!  Man, this Orthodox stuff isnt as complicated as I thought it would be!"

This is probably the most difficult prayer I have ever prayed.  Maybe its the repetitiveness... The icons, candles, prayer corner, incense, and prayer rule have all benefited my prayer life tremendously.  But this prayer is still a challenge. 

Does anyone have any advice?  Should I just keep going at it?  And I did have a priest tell me to use this prayer.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »

You should just keep going at it..

I would ask myself, is there any specific way to do it?  I just try to say the Jesus prayer whenever I can remember to.. just driving in my car and bam "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me"..  or if I'm having trouble falling to sleep..

Somehow I always feel better, and the weight of whatever I was carrying goes away.  However, this is not always the case.. sometimes it feels like my spirit can't breathe so maybe when that happens I just need to say it more. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »

It's difficult because there's nothing else there. If your heart's not really in it, if you don't mean what you say, you feel the emptiness of it immediately. When you read from a prayer book, pray with your own words, or chant a hymn you can focus on the words, and your mind can wonder freely without you really noticing because your mouth is doing all the hard work. That doesn't work with the Jesus Prayer - it's true prayer or nothing.

As a monk at Troodotissa monastery recently told me: "with quantity comes quality". Keep going.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

Does anyone have any advice?  Should I just keep going at it?  And I did have a priest tell me to use this prayer.

Keep going at it.

I love what this prayer does. The idea is to have this prayer be in your heart. First it will be in your head,  then in your breath, but in time, it will be in your heart.  Then it will come from your heart. Don’t give up.  Don’t get discouraged if you feel that gladness in you, and then can’t seem to repeat it. Just take it slow, there is no deadline.
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »

I struggled with this little prayer too.   

Watching a DVD called "Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer"  really helped me.   Seeing various cultures using the same simple prayer in different languages and countries.

Mathe 24:36
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »

I have also had trouble with this prayer. It shows me my own laziness.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »

Join the club!

If we could attain that perfect state of oneness with God through the prayer, on the first try, we wouldn't need God. Keep pushing with it. Authors of books about the Jesus Prayer talk about struggling with the prayer, and they've done it for years.

Just keep pushing on!  Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »

The Jesus Prayer, as simple as it seems, takes a great deal of focus and contemplation.  I was told that I should not even attempt the Jesus Prayer until I have matured a little more in the faith.  It requires patience and zeal in perfect harmony and to strive for such a balance may take a lifetime if ever.  Make sure you have talked with your priest before trying to incorporate this into your daily spiritual life.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »

Should I just keep going at it?

Yes.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Mivac

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »

I am sure not only is it ourselves that get in the way, but those present you cannot see also would like you to stop and give up. 
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »

Someone mentioned laziness, and it certainly points out mine.  Im hate to say it, but sometimes i dont look forward to sitting still for ten minutes saying the same thing over and over!  ten minutes isnt even that long, but its what I was instructed to do.  i have a rough time sitting still for longer than 30 seconds... ha!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:16 AM »

Someone mentioned laziness, and it certainly points out mine.  Im hate to say it, but sometimes i dont look forward to sitting still for ten minutes saying the same thing over and over!  ten minutes isnt even that long, but its what I was instructed to do.  i have a rough time sitting still for longer than 30 seconds... ha!

selam dear
so you are starting to meet yourself, the self you were not aware of, this prayer will make you aware, this is just the beginning of the warfare, the first encounter is with self and it is not a delightful experience, and I am personally horrified by what I am seeing. yet the Lord is merciful His Love will heal and sustain you. keep at it,obedience is a wonder maker, do not go beyond or below what was given to you, but while saying it, may be focus on the sweetness of the name, it might help with the despair. may the Lord aid us all in this. amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
myrrhbear

Trust in God

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »

It's not just setting a time and a time limit to "say" it. It's time alone to commune with our Lord! Are you not listening, too? I'd recently read that another way of praying the prayer is to do so very slowly, and listen between the words, without expectation.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »

It's not just setting a time and a time limit to "say" it. It's time alone to commune with our Lord! Are you not listening, too? I'd recently read that another way of praying the prayer is to do so very slowly, and listen between the words, without expectation.

Actually, I do listen.  Honestly, I dont set a stop watch and quit after 10 minutes.  10 minutes is just what a priest suggested i do.  I dont think the time is really the main point.  It just helps having an idea of what I am going to say when I go to commune with our Lord.  But dont worry.  I believe that silence is very important and I do make an effort to listen...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:00:19 AM by Timon » Logged

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: