OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:17:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is "The Gospel" to Orthodox Christians? *LONG post/story/rant*  (Read 11977 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »

Thank you both for your kind words.  Just contributing my little onion, such as it is.

Hiwot:

I am inclined to say yes, such miracles look forward to the restoration of all things, the healing of creation together with the healing of man to whom it was given in stewardship.  

A long time ago I read something…I don't remember by whom, but I think he was quoting or referencing St. Maximus the Confessor. He said we are the priests of the universe. All creation returns its praise to God through us, the majesty of the mountain, the vastness of the heavens, the strength of the horse, the glory of the sunset, the industry of the little ant…all things touch us, and through us touch God if we are in communion with Him. We are the priestly voice of the world, through whom the world offers up itself to receive God…lest the stones cry out, as it were.

I would add however, to pick at a nit, it is my understanding that the Orthodox mindset does not distinguish between natural and supernatural, but between created and uncreated.

Addendum:
If I may add I recall after I was first received into the Church so much of the world began to call my heart to prayer. If I smelled flowers in bloom, it reminded me of incense, and incense took my heart to prayer. The shade of a forest was like the shade of a cathedral, and thus a place for prayer, I would drop something on my shirt and stain it and remember my own stains and my need for prayer, a breeze would stir, and I was reminded of the breath of the Spirit of Prayer blowing withersoever He would, again raising my heart to prayer.  The plastic that protected my icon prints, the wood on which other icons were mounted, the colors of the earth given to create the image of a saint or of Christ, the wool of a lamb knotted into a prayer rope, each meal an intimation of the wedding feast of the Lamb…everything beckoned me to prayer and remembrance. I was more aware of my presence in the world and of the world's connection to me, and though me, however humbly, to God…His handiwork had become for me an endless invitation to prayer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:42:39 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
myrrhbear

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »

Thank you both for your kind words.  Just contributing my little onion, such as it is.

Hiwot:

I am inclined to say yes, such miracles look forward to the restoration of all things, the healing of creation together with the healing of man to whom it was given in stewardship.  

A long time ago I read something…I don't remember by whom, but I think he was quoting or referencing St. Maximus the Confessor. He said we are the priests of the universe. All creation returns its praise to God through us, the majesty of the mountain, the vastness of the heavens, the strength of the horse, the glory of the sunset, the industry of the little ant…all things touch us, and through us touch God if we are in communion with Him. We are the priestly voice of the world, through whom the world offers up itself to receive God…lest the stones cry out, as it were.

I would add however, to pick at a nit, it is my understanding that the Orthodox mindset does not distinguish between natural and supernatural, but between created and uncreated.

Addendum:
If I may add I recall after I was first received into the Church so much of the world began to call my heart to prayer. If I smelled flowers in bloom, it reminded me of incense, and incense took my heart to prayer. The shade of a forest was like the shade of a cathedral, and thus a place for prayer, I would drop something on my shirt and stain it and remember my own stains and my need for prayer, a breeze would stir, and I was reminded of the breath of the Spirit of Prayer blowing withersoever He would, again raising my heart to prayer.  The plastic that protected my icon prints, the wood on which other icons were mounted, the colors of the earth given to create the image of a saint or of Christ, the wool of a lamb knotted into a prayer rope, each meal an intimation of the wedding feast of the Lamb…everything beckoned me to prayer and remembrance. I was more aware of my presence in the world and of the world's connection to me, and though me, however humbly, to God…His handiwork had become for me an endless invitation to prayer.

Very well said. If this forum had a "like" button I'd click it.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

Hiwot:

Addendum:

Seraphim,

your little onion is a favorite of mine. angel

I am glad leap of faith asked that question. its a rarity and a blessing to find such an answer. all I can say to the depth ( that you hid in simplicity) and the beauty of what you said above is Thank you with a heart felt sincerity.

May the Lord increase His grace upon you and May the protection of the Most Holy Theotokos be with you!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: