OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:18:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite beer...  (Read 12037 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »

I like Barq's.

Isn't the legal drinking age 21 over in 'murrica?
Barqs is a root beer--in fact, the only root beer known to have caffeine as one of its ingredients.

Never heard of it. I don't know if we even have it over here.
It may just be a stereotype, but non-Americans are pretty notorious for hating root beer. It's not very easy to find outside the states.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »

I like Barq's.

Barqs is a root beer--in fact, the only root beer known to have caffeine as one of its ingredients.

Never heard of it. I don't know if we even have it over here.
It may just be a stereotype, but non-Americans are pretty notorious for hating root beer. It's not very easy to find outside the states.

Well I'll vouch for the veracity of what you say. My own unscientific survey amongst my peers when McDonalds briefly intoduced root beer over here in the early '90s was a resounding thumbs down. I don't know if the taste varies from type to type, but what they were selling frankly tasted like mouthwash. I'd sooner drink the hideous fizzy fir-needle syrup stuff that some people make in Romania (and that tastes like pine disinfectant smells, only sweet).

James
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:14:28 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »

DUDES ROOT BEER IS THE JAM!!!!

For real though, its good.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »

Yes, blonde beer is what I meant. Not something you want to taste IMHO.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2012, 10:46:45 AM »

Assuming that my experience in McDonald's was representative - definitely better than root beer (and that's quite apart from the fact that root beer's a soft drink).

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

How can you not like Blonde ales? They are so deliciously fruity and yet nutty, ale yeast gives such a wonderful complexity of flavors!  I've switched to darks like Traditional Brown and Porter lately, but generally a good, crisp, Blonde belgian-style wheat ale is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a good beer Smiley

Even a blonde lager is pretty good, but obviously just more malty sweetness, let yeasty variety of flavors.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

How can you not like Blonde ales? They are so deliciously fruity and yet nutty, ale yeast gives such a wonderful complexity of flavors!  I've switched to darks like Traditional Brown and Porter lately, but generally a good, crisp, Blonde belgian-style wheat ale is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a good beer Smiley

Even a blonde lager is pretty good, but obviously just more malty sweetness, let yeasty variety of flavors.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I had way too much hard liquor already when I started with the blonde beer, perhaps that was the reason, so I might give it another try while I'm still sober. But the blonde beer was warmish, I like my beer cold. Also, the taste was very strong.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:22:03 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I had way too much hard liquor already when I started with the blonde beer, perhaps that was the reason, so I might give it another try while I'm still sober. But the blonde beer was warmish, I like my beer cold. Also, the taste was very strong.

The first rule of drinking really good ales is you don't mix it with liquor.

The second rule of drinking really good ales is you don't mix it with liquor.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

The first rule of drinking really good ales is you don't mix it with liquor.

The second rule of drinking really good ales is you don't mix it with liquor.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I'm very much tempted now to buy some blond beer. Is drinking it cold OK or do you suggest it to be just below room temperature.

labuntur anni"
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »

Before becoming a monk, and George Bush Sr, was president, I went to the annual Ukrainian festival in NYC for St. George's Ukrainian Catholic Church.  I'm not a beer drinker, but they advertised a beer that was flown over from Ukraine, called Kievan Monastery Ale.  It was the best beer I ever tasted, so much so I had 2 glasses and never had a hangover the next day.  It was a one time deal and I have never seen it since.   Embarrassed

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »

It was the best beer I ever tasted, so much so I had 2 glasses and never had a hangover the next day.  It was a one time deal and I have never seen it since.   Embarrassed

That is the benefit of quality ales, they don't have the sloppy buzz of a lager beer and almost rarely if ever have a noticeable hang over.  In fact, I drank some good Traditional Brown with my step-pops and he was chasing it with whiskey, and he commented on the morning that it actually TOOK away his usual whiskey and beer hangover compared to the Budwater he usually drinks!

I'm very much tempted now to buy some blond beer. Is drinking it cold OK or do you suggest it to be just below room temperature.

Put it in the fridge, just not the freezer.  Lager is cold brewed, so it tastes better ice cold.  Ale is brewed at a relatively warmer temperature (around 10-15 degrees differential) and so its natural flavors and aromas are more pronounced at a warmer temperature.  The "drink it warm" is a myth, cold is quite nice, just not too cold Wink

I recommend some Belgian-style wheat ales which are technically blond by have the more robust diversity of malty sweetness to balance the strong yeast flavors. There are literally too many varieties of good brands to suggest any one over another, so pick up what ever is reasonably priced (i.e. what is on sale) that reads "Blonde" or "wheat" or "Belgian-style" because they are all essentially code words for a similar kind of ale.  The difference between the three is so subtle as to not notice beer snobs aside  angel

An all around good and commonly available Blonde ale is Leffe

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:33:35 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

It was the best beer I ever tasted, so much so I had 2 glasses and never had a hangover the next day.

Grin

The glasses must be very big if you want to have an hangover from just two glasses.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:35:01 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »

You guys are too high faluntin' fancy for me. I like good old Yeungling Traditional Lager. Nothing fancy, not outrageously expensive, a local PA brew.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »

Thanks Habte! I'll ask my friend to get some Leffe since he's throwing a party saturday. Or else I'll just have to buy some myself.

labuntur anni"
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

You guys are too high faluntin' fancy for me. I like good old Yeungling Traditional Lager. Nothing fancy, not outrageously expensive, a local PA brew.

Too bad Rolling Rock isn't local PA anymore, I am curious to try some of the local beers which are still brewed at Ol Latrobe, I bet they are fantastic Smiley

I am cheaper than you can ever know in regards to beer, but even with my inherent cheapness, I still manage to find great beers at Budwater and Coors prices.  Lately I've been drinking Underworld for 2.25 a 24oz out the door, and its high gravity so its almost like drinking two for one.  The last twelve packs we picked up were Pyramid's new Fall Variety (with a delightfully good and STRONG Barleywine) and also a Sam Adams Fall Seasonal, both were $12 out the door..

My rule, ALL good beer is good, so buy whatever is on sale, it gives you a chance to try new beers you otherwise might not have gambled on.  We tried some Ballast Point when it was on sale once, that beer is usually way over-priced, but when we tried it, it was sublimely good.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »

It was the best beer I ever tasted, so much so I had 2 glasses and never had a hangover the next day.

Grin

The glasses must be very big if you want to have an hangover from just two glasses.

I've never been a drinker.  In facr when I would go out with my friends I could nurse a can of beer ALL night, and be sick as a dog the next day.   Shocked

jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »

Kievan Monastery Ale. 

Do you know if the ale was actually brewed by a Kievan monastery?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »

Grin

I've never been a drinker.  In facr when I would go out with my friends I could nurse a can of beer ALL night, and be sick as a dog the next day.   Shocked

Shocked

It's good that you're not a western monk then, beer would be almost the only drink you would get  Cheesy

labuntur anni"
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

Kievan Monastery Ale. 

Do you know if the ale was actually brewed by a Kievan monastery?

Couldn't say for sure, but that was how they advertised it.  And they also said the then president of Ukraine would have a glass everyday.  It was the darkest beer I ever saw and tasted heavenly.

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »

Grin

I've never been a drinker.  In fact when I would go out with my friends I could nurse a can of beer ALL night, and be sick as a dog the next day.   Shocked

Shocked

It's good that you're not a western monk then, beer would be almost the only drink you would get  Cheesy

LOL, then I would have to be in a penitential Order for sure... Cheesy

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

You can't get any more local than the kitchen!  If you buy the grains and hops and brew the beer yourself, you can quite easily make beer that rivals some of the best craft beer found at the store for  1/2 or 1/3 of the cost.  One can easily spend $4.50 on one 12 oz bottle of beer imported from Belgium that has been exposed to all kinds of detrimental conditions in transit.  Or, you can brew a belgian beer yourself with the same yeast (Chimay, Westmalle, etc.) and spend $4.50 for a six pack, so 1/6 of the cost.  A nicely crafted beer that might sell for $9 a six pack in the store can be made for $4.50 a six pack at home.    
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »

Or, you can brew a belgian beer yourself with the same yeast (

You can't make Belgian beer in America. For it to be Belgian beer you have to brew it in Belgium. It's like champagne. You can't make champagne in America.

labuntur anni"
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »

Grin

I've never been a drinker.  In fact when I would go out with my friends I could nurse a can of beer ALL night, and be sick as a dog the next day.   Shocked

Shocked

LOL, then I would have to be in a penitential Order for sure... Cheesy

It is interesting that the Western monastic order that is most famous for its brewing is the Trappist order, or the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance (OCSO), one of the strictest and most penitential of the Western orders.  While Orthodox monasteries have been known more for their wine production and mead (in the case of Russia), I have very little information regarding the brewing of beer in Orthodox monasteries.    
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »

Or, you can brew a belgian beer yourself with the same yeast (

You can't make Belgian beer in America. For it to be Belgian beer you have to brew it in Belgium. It's like champagne. You can't make champagne in America.

"Belgian style" then.   Tongue
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »

I generally really like the beers made by the local brewery Victory. I'm not sure how widely distributed they are in the US. I really enjoy their recent Headwaters pale ale...

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »

An all around good and commonly available Blonde ale is Leffe

A very nice all-rounder, it's what I normally drink here. I'd never order it in Belgium though, too many superior beers to chose from.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »

I generally really like the beers made by the local brewery Victory. I'm not sure how widely distributed they are in the US. I really enjoy their recent Headwaters pale ale...
Reminds me of 1984 (Victory Gin was what they drank if I remember correctly). It's even got a similar red "V" logo.

EDIT :

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:02:17 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »

I agree! Im not questioning whether or not anyone actually enjoys these beers, but its almost a "peeing" match to see who can come up with the rarest, most obscure beer on the planet.

Im not that picky. I love a good craft brew or "monk" beer, but I also have no shame in grabbing a sixer or coors light to watch football on a saturday.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

I have bought it. I'll try it, perhaps tonight. I think that I'll feel good knowing that the beer I drink supports the monks.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:38:26 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »

Any beer paired with good conversation.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »

Surely, with any, you don't mean any?

labuntur anni"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

I challenge you to say that after drinking a 6 pack of Milwaukee's Best!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »

I like Barq's.

It is.

Barq's a is nonalcoholic soft drink. I was joking.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:36:22 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »

Hehe, it's 16 over here. That sucks for you....  Grin

labuntur anni"
militantsparrow
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« Reply #169 on: October 14, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

lol well not "any." MB would ruin any conversation. I generally prefer IPA's of which i have a few favorites. Bell's Two Hearted, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo are a couple I like.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:27:11 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

Kiss

labuntur anni"
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »

This is a local Atlanta brewery, but I think you can get it other places too.  This particular beer is commonly referred to as a girl beer because its their "light" beer and has a sweeter blueberry flavor.  However, the guy at the actual brewery told me that its really a breakfast beer. Boy is he right.  If you ever have a chance to grab one of these with some french toast or something, it will blow your mind.  And I dont normally like sweet beer, although this one is good because its not too overwhelming.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »

Favorite beer? Merlow.

Ok, actually some fruity beers I tried. I don't recall the name of the brewery.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:05:09 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:37 AM »

My favorite Sam Adams so far. A fine brew! Smiley

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2012, 07:41:48 AM »

How does it compare to Guinness? (the real stuff, not the watery crap you often get on tap).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »

Ima try it, looking for a good Stout, have you had the Latitude 48 IPA from Sam Adams? It is indulgently good!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »

A tasty brew that I stumbled upon this weekend.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »

^ My friend talks up Old Rasputin.  I haven't had it yet. 

As for Stouts, I had a Baltika some time ago.  It tasted almost better than Guinness.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

I have bought it. I'll try it, perhaps tonight. I think that I'll feel good knowing that the beer I drink supports the monks.

Had some last night or that FANTASTIC Bears-Texans slugfest last night.  Alas, my love of super malted beers like IPA and Porters has ruined my previous love for a good Belgian.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: