OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite beer...  (Read 11901 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

I should mention that while the chocolate bock only comes out in a variety pack, the "Moo-Hoo Milk Chocolate Stout" by Terrapin is also very good and is sold as a 6, at least here.

Love Terrapin. Good local brewery for me!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
TITL

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »

Oh I didn't know monasteries produce beer. In the Coptic Church, monasteries only produce wine (I think) for communion purposes-- not really for individuals to enjoy.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

Beer generally does not contain grapes.  During the fast I find it a good substitute for wine.

There is also neither oil nor grapes/wine in vodka, chrystal meth, cocaine, LSD, etc.  But there is the letter, and then there is the spirit.  Wink

(P.S. I am obviously not being serious here, just picking on a certain logic.  I honestly do not intend to debate whether or not beer should be consumed on "no wine" days, and I certainly realize that having a beer is not the same as consuming the other illegal substances mentioned above).

Spirit, schmirit.  If I were into following the spirit of the fast I'd keep eating Taco Bell and skip on the Red Lobster!
I said the SAME THING. Most of the "meat" in their tacos is the filler stuff, anyway! Not my fault if I can't guess the 30% that's meat!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Some recent great discoveries via what is on sale Wink

This is one of the best Pale Ales I've ever had! Spot on texture and flavor without being overbearing. Another winner from San Diego to join the Stone's cult world..

With the fruity and yet nutty and floral taste, this beer should be called, "I can't believe its not an IPA, Lager."  Further, whether its the goat or the beer, something in this Bock surely knocked me well off my stool just about everytime I drank some..

This beer was literally indulgent, everything a good beer should have.

This is literally one of the hands down, best beers I've ever had in my entire life.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Mokek Kwe

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:44 AM »

Lancaster milk stout. YUM!

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »

Actually I prefer wine, but I have 2 favourites beers: Heineken and Serbian Jelen

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une Poirot

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »

If it ain't dutch it ain't much  laugh

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:46:13 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

This is literally one of the hands down, best beers I've ever had in my entire life.
DUDE, now you're talkin'! Deschutes Black Butte Porter is absolutely one of my favorite beers.

Another beer I really like now when I want something especially bitter:

I discovered this about six weeks ago during a hops craze when I tried a different ultra-hoppy beer every night for a week.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I discovered this about six weeks ago during a hops craze when I tried a different ultra-hoppy beer every night for a week.

I've been on that hop craze lately myself, ever since I really acquired the taste.  Hoppy beers are like hot peppers or coffee, you have to learn to appreciate the flavors.  I am rather hooked.  I've discovered the real secret behind a lot of max-hopped beers.  They are usually sweeter, maltier brews than lighter beers like lagers and belgian ales.  ALL beer is naturally very sweet, and bitter things like hops are added like a reverse of adding coffee to sugar.  Really hopped beers like IPAs are actually maltier as well as more bitter, so once you learn to like the bitter, you can also notice the more sweet malty undertaste which the hops are trying to balance.  I can only drink these very sweet ales now, and when I drink a lager I really just don't enjoy it, even a quality Lager still has been letting me down in the sweetness department.  That Porter is the perfect blend, originally all beers were dark, dark doesn't imply bitter, it can actually be too sweet which is what the bitter is trying to cover up.  I love the sweetness, and like the bitter. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 05:49:30 PM »

Hop Stoopid is also a very strong beer for alcohol content at about 8.6% alcohol by volume.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »

I like Barq's.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »

Any one had Wild Blue?  I had some while visiting the Budweiser brewery in St. Louis a few weeks ago and have gone through three six packs of it now.  Pretty good stuff.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

One I might try this Friday for astronomical reasons:

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »

man yall quit tryin to be cool. save your money and get this...

you guys clearly arent softball players.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »

My bro has some in the fridge.  I drink it sometimes when I run out of my own urine.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:24 PM »

My bro has some in the fridge.  I drink it sometimes when I run out of my own urine.

lol

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »

Meh.. didn't you see my go to when I'm broke beer?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »

Meh.. didn't you see my go to when I'm broke beer?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I can respect that.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »

I really do like 'good' beer.  Always been a hip, craft beer kind of guy.  But I went through a phase where I drank a lot of beers that end in the word "light" (bud, coors, etc.) and now, as strange as it sounds, I kind of enjoy it. Ha!

I really only drink Busch when Im playin softball. Its what I drink instead of water or gatorade.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 01:33:49 AM »

DUDE, now you're talkin'! Deschutes Black Butte Porter is absolutely one of my favorite beers.

Wow. These both look tasty. But I doubt if I'll find them in Mississippi. Sad

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »

The best thing to come from a can:

Sunday evening I brewed a clone of this one based on feedback from the brewer at Oskar.  So far, so good, but I think it will turn out more like a 7.5-8% rather than 10.5%, unfortunately.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »

Don't tell Frank...

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »

Golden Brau,Ciuc,Heineken,Pilsner Ulker, Dab, etc..

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »

LOL!

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »

German: No bad beer. Ditto for beers from Belgium. Some great beers are from the islands and elsewhere. But, I am flabbergasted at the varity and quality of American craft beer. If I had to choose just one type, I would choose American IPA with its glorious citrus aspects. 

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »

I like Barq's.
A man after my own heart.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »

Greetings int that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
If I had to choose just one type, I would choose American IPA with its glorious citrus aspects. 

That is the secret of the double-hopping, bottle-conditioned method.  A lot of German lagers under the "Belgian style" are also double-malted and have the same sweetness.  I really like the sweet more than the bitter, and I've been hooked on IPAs lately for the sweetness which most lagers don't have.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

Heineken, E.C. Dahls, VB, Hansa, Arendals, Nils, Samuel Adams, XXXX (fourex), etc

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:27:44 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »

Wow. These both look tasty. But I doubt if I'll find them in Mississippi. Sad

Selam
Yeah, you probably won't find them there. If you ever come up to Portland, look me up, and I'll take you to where you can get the best microbrews in the country. Wink
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »

another slam dunk, I think I've found a new fav and definitely in my all-time top 10!

I've had this my last 4 of 5 beers this past two weeks.  This is the darkest beer I've ever had, darker than the coffee sludge I drink for breakfast out my frenchpress, but it was surprisingly light and crisp in texture.  Just heavy and thick enough to be a full, hard hitting beer and yet light enough to not be too thick.  Its malty sweet enough to get my off my IPA fad of lately, and high gravity so it hits the spot with a less is more approach, a perfect "after work" beer.  Excellent double malt and toffee flavor with just a hint of hops, I'd say this Traditional brown Ale is what Newcastle should be Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »

My first, and only (so far) , drink when i was in Toronto

so by default, my favourite, haha

SCREW BON JOVI!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »

Here's a new beer I discovered.

I just had to buy it for the funny name alone, but it really is some pretty good chit. laugh

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:22:51 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »

Hitachino is my favorite, but it is unfortunately not a very common sight in my part of the world.

Hofbräu München comes in a close 2nd place, with Stella Artois ranking 3rd.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Mivac

« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:02 AM »

One of my favorites, as well.

Others include Widmer Hefeweizen

Pyramid's Apricot Ale

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

and Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale

If I'm so broke that all I can afford is a domestic brew, Pabst Blue Ribbon will do quite well.

Oh, I bought my first Arrogant Bastard Ale this summer camping on the Rogue River!  Wonderful Beer!

If you get to Pacific City, Or stop and buy Tsunami Stout at Pelican Brewery.  Yum!

http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican/beer/tsunami-stout

If you get a chance go to Calapooia Brewing Co.    Grin

Back in the day, when money was tight, and it was the decision between quality and quantity, I would buy Rainier pounders Tongue
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:54:53 AM by Mivac » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »

One of my favorites, as well.

Others include Widmer Hefeweizen

Pyramid's Apricot Ale

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

and Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale

If I'm so broke that all I can afford is a domestic brew, Pabst Blue Ribbon will do quite well.

Oh, I bought my first Arrogant Bastard Ale this summer camping on the Rogue River!  Wonderful Beer!

If you get to Pacific City, Or stop and buy Tsunami Stout at Pelican Brewery.  Yum!

http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican/beer/tsunami-stout

If you get a chance go to Calapooia Brewing Co.    Grin

Back in the day, when money was tight, and it was the decision between quality and quantity, I would buy Rainier pounders Tongue
I've had Pelican's Cream Ale. That's pretty good.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:59 AM »

I just discovered this last week and fell in love with it.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »

To date, my favorite is Sam Adams Noble Pils, but I'm ways a sucker for a good stout.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2012, 09:05:14 AM »

Anyone here likes pale ale? I think it's disgusting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:08:12 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »

Haven't tried this one, but thought the name was appropriate for a religious board
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

You mean like India Pale Ale? Pretty strong, very hoppy British beer designed for exporting to the Raj? I'm not really a big fan of British beer full stop but there's definitely worse around than that. Slightly two warm, which is apparently how it's supposed to be served, bitter springs to mind.

Personally one of my favourite beers, but very hard to find here, is Zlaty Bazant, which they brew in my great aunt's home town in Slovakia, but that's, of course, a lager. If I was pushed to pick a British beer to call a favourite I'd have to go for something like Old Speckled Hen, but I'd definitely serve it colder than 'proper'.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »

You mean like India Pale Ale? Pretty strong, very hoppy British beer designed for exporting to the Raj? I'm not really a big fan of British beer full stop but there's definitely worse around than that. Slightly two warm, which is apparently how it's supposed to be served, bitter springs to mind.

Personally one of my favourite beers, but very hard to find here, is Zlaty Bazant, which they brew in my great aunt's home town in Slovakia, but that's, of course, a lager. If I was pushed to pick a British beer to call a favourite I'd have to go for something like Old Speckled Hen, but I'd definitely serve it colder than 'proper'.

James

I drank this

Don't ever try it. It's served too warm and makes you throw up.

A fellow fan of very cold beer, I see.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:42:09 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

I like Barq's.

Isn't the legal drinking age 21 over in 'murrica?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 09:44:44 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »

I like Barq's.

Barqs is a root beer--in fact, the only root beer known to have caffeine as one of its ingredients.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »

I like Barq's.

Barqs is a root beer--in fact, the only root beer known to have caffeine as one of its ingredients.

Never heard of it. I don't know if we even have it over here.

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »

I drank this

Don't ever try it. It's served too warm and makes you throw up.

Is that Belgian? Never heard of a Belgian pale ale. They usually refer to it as blonde beer. I'm not a massive fan of it myself (I prefer the darker Belgian beers), but it's nothing like the IPA I thought you meant.

A fellow fan of very cold beer, I see.

I always thought serving beer at just below room temperature was a peculiarly British affliction, so yes. Personally I come from a long line of Czechs and Germans, so it's cold lager all the way.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: