OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:23:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite beer...  (Read 11204 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »

As good as Roman Catholic beers are I'd rather have my beer without any papal infallability.
Right. Avoid anything which has been made by Roman Catholics.

Catholics make the best beer.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »

now i aint sure how many of yall are from the country. i also aint sure how many of yall play in softball tournaments...

if you live in the country and ever participate in a softball tourney, this is what us boys will be drinkin...

for every 12 ounces you pound, thats 20 feet added on to your long ball.

* accidentally posted this twice... cant delete the first one...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »

One of my favorites, as well.

Others include Widmer Hefeweizen

Pyramid's Apricot Ale

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

and Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale

If I'm so broke that all I can afford is a domestic brew, Pabst Blue Ribbon will do quite well.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »

D**N STRAIGHT!!! Grin

We locals don't call this state Beervana for nothing. Wink
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »

Duvel, Stella, almost any cask ale, Boddingtons, Pilsner Urquel, Harp, Buckler, Kaliber, Clausthaler NA.

This thread makes me think that I miss the old days.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »

I love me some Dead Guy Ale Smiley (even though I don't love the Grateful Dead Roll Eyes!)

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:59 AM »

Can we make this an Alcohol thread?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:29:09 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »

Isnt that what this is??

Or do mean incorporate other types of alcohol into the discussion?

Either way... go ahead!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2011, 12:32:16 AM »

now i aint sure how many of yall are from the country. i also aint sure how many of yall play in softball tournaments...

if you live in the country and ever participate in a softball tourney, this is what us boys will be drinkin...

My uncle told a story once--he might have been fibbin'--about how he, a 100-average bowler, once bowled a 290. He said it was a game with his Air Force buddies where the winner of each frame had to chug down a pint. Toward the latter half of the game, after having won frame after frame, he was drunk off his butt , but he kept bowling strikes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:33:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »

My uncle told a story once--he might have been fibbin'--about how he, a 100-average bowler, once bowled a 290. He said it was a game with his Air Force buddies where the winner of each frame had to chug down a pint. Toward the latter half of the game, after having won frame after frame, he was drunk off his butt , but he kept bowling strikes.

I wouldnt doubt it, especially if it was busch light.  That stuff can certainly work miracles!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2011, 12:41:57 AM »

I can't believe this thread has gone this long without anyone posting this clip. From one of my favorite movies. I feel guilty for posting it, but come on, this is the BEER thread after all!

(Warning: Graphic language!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 12:45:56 AM »

I can't believe this thread has gone this long without anyone posting this clip. From one of my favorite movies. I feel guilty for posting it, but come on, this is the BEER thread after all!

(Warning: Graphic language!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeWUXV89w0g

Selam

hahahaha!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:36 AM »

Isnt that what this is??

Either way... go ahead!

In that case I've been having way too many of these:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »

^  Salads in a glass?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 01:43:52 AM »

LOL mint leaves.

And it's a Mojito

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:18 AM »

I'm gonna be boring and repeat the same old "Guinness, Boddington, Pabst Blue Ribbon Old Style when I'm broke" line that's been repeating in this thread. For variety I'll throw in some Blue Moon (which is actually the beer ale I drink most, as I usually drink with family who can't stand roofing tar), Fat Tire, and Peroni.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2011, 02:42:19 AM »

I wonder whether there are any Orthodox monasteries that brew fine dark beer? As good as Roman Catholic beers are I'd rather have my beer without any papal infallability.

This is the closest I can come up with is Radomyshl' Brewery in Zhytomyr.  Old Brown Beer is my favorite.  

But why drink beer, I live in wine country and within a month or so it will be time for start drinking wine from this year's grapes.  Getting a few bottles of homemade wine to take home definitely weighs into the cost benefit analysis of visiting the in-laws!  
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »

Ayinger Hefeweisen.  All other beers are inferior.  Ayinger Hefeweisen is the only beer that contains no trace amounts estrogen.

Schlenkerla Rauchbier is also pretty good, though you need to drink it with smoked meats, and preferably with another beer or two before hand to prepare you for it.

If you are in the mood to take a trip back in time there is always Weienstephaner, the worlds oldest still operating brewery.  The Orthodox and Catholics were still together when they were founded.
i love ayinger's oktoberfest. it would make it to the first place on my list.
Mivac

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »

Pyramid's Apricot Ale

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

If I'm so broke that all I can afford is a domestic brew, Pabst Blue Ribbon will do quite well.

Don't forget....

http://calapooiabrewing.com/blog/our-brews/

Riverdog ESB – A true gem – rich in color and taste; heavily hopped, but so smooth that even non-hop-heads love this beer!

Awards
3rd Place, People’s Choice, 2007 HOTV Oregon Home Brew and Microbrew Fest (Tie)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:24:08 AM by Mivac » Logged
Mivac

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »

Pyramid's Apricot Ale

Rogue's Dead Guy Ale

Don't forget....

http://calapooiabrewing.com/blog/our-brews/

Riverdog ESB – A true gem – rich in color and taste; heavily hopped, but so smooth that even non-hop-heads love this beer!

Awards
3rd Place, People’s Choice, 2007 HOTV Oregon Home Brew and Microbrew Fest (Tie)

I would like to add a special note:  My wife and I were rafting the Santiam River this last summer, and of course I was fishing.  I looked over to my left, and low and behold, I seen something drifting just under the surface of the water.  So, I reeled it in, pulled it out of the water, and it was a full 16oz BEER!!  My first beer caught ever fishing.  I almost threw it back when I saw it was Milwaukee's best!  I should get it mounted.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »

Isnt that what this is??

Either way... go ahead!

In that case I've been having way too many of these:

I knew I liked you.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 09:21:14 AM »

Ayinger Hefeweisen.  All other beers are inferior.  Ayinger Hefeweisen is the only beer that contains no trace amounts estrogen.

Schlenkerla Rauchbier is also pretty good, though you need to drink it with smoked meats, and preferably with another beer or two before hand to prepare you for it.

If you are in the mood to take a trip back in time there is always Weienstephaner, the worlds oldest still operating brewery.  The Orthodox and Catholics were still together when they were founded.
i love ayinger's oktoberfest. it would make it to the first place on my list.

While not a huge fan of Oktoberfest beers in general, I thought that Ayinger's was pretty good.  Actually, I will drink anything Ayinger that you put in front of me.  Generally the Hefeweisen is hard to find, but any larger liquor store will at least have the Oktoberfest Martzen or the Jahrhundert.  Brau Weisse is what they call the Hefeweissen.

If you can find a good Berliner Weisse bier, those are recommendable as well.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

No, we're talking about beer here, which while alcoholic, is not exactly the same as other kinds of alcohols, especially some of the finer beers suggested here Smiley

We can even keep it Churchical..

The way I understand it, Medieval European monasteries had become quite the vinifiers as a result of collecting the necessary grapes and flour for Holy Communion.  The monks themselves developed a good craft for wine making and subsequently also developed good taste for their own consumption.  As it would come to turn out over some years, it is a bit easier to come by excesses of flour than grapes/wine, and so the monks had to switch to making beer with the wheat because they couldn't dip into the Communion wine supply.  In switching to beer, the monks went from being the best winemakers in Europe to the best brewers, and no Abbey ales are the finest craft beers around.  I also understand that beer was acceptable for fast days, like chocolate, which helped it gain popularity because its basically a liquid bread.  Also, beers and wine are safer to drink and store then the potable water of many places, but of course, these remained alcoholic so you can imagine that life in that past was a bit more easygoing.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Catholic Church continues to celebrate a number of early and medieval saints related to alcohol—for instance, St. Adrian, patron saint of beer

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:53:02 PM by Alpo » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »

I've heard that researchers found an ancient Egyptian recipe for beer. Has anyone made some fresh batches, based on the plan? I always wondered what beer was like back then.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mivac

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »

Our troopers protecting the integrity of OUR beer in Oregon!

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AjUH8QpvEPQhBgK.OnoCKFubvZx4?p=weinhart+beer+commercials&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-374
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:39:31 PM by Mivac » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »

I've heard that researchers found an ancient Egyptian recipe for beer. Has anyone made some fresh batches, based on the plan? I always wondered what beer was like back then.

this may be similar to what you are looking for.  ive had this and enjoyed it.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/midas-touch.htm

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2011, 01:15:52 AM »

Right now I'm drinking some Samuel Adam's "Octoberfest." A bit disappointing. I wish Samuel Adam's would bring back their "Scotch Ale". That was the best beer they made, but I haven't been able to find it in years. Did they discontinue it?

Selam

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2011, 01:35:31 AM »

Right now I'm drinking some Samuel Adam's "Octoberfest." A bit disappointing. I wish Samuel Adam's would bring back their "Scotch Ale". That was the best beer they made, but I haven't been able to find it in years. Did they discontinue it?

Selam

I just had an octoberfest from them tonight too! i actually dont mind it. however, im not so sure about the scotch ale.  i havent seen it around.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »

Out of Sam Adams, Weiss Bier is best.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2011, 01:55:23 AM »

Just found this cool thread about a bear's favorite beer: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4086.0.html
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »

Dunkelbier ist gut.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
brandb

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »

one of my old fav's back when I use to party

I LOVE Rolling Rock. Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:23:08 AM by brandb » Logged
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »

I had to bring this post back because I found a FANTASTIC brew!!!  My band traveled to Cleveland this past weekend and had a Christmas Ale by Great Lakes Brewery. We heard people talking about it before our plane even landed, and since we like to check out local brew pubs when we travel we figured we should go.  Anyone else from the area had this before?  If you ever see this in a store, buy it before they stop making it for the year!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »

I had to bring this post back because I found a FANTASTIC brew!!!  My band traveled to Cleveland this past weekend and had a Christmas Ale by Great Lakes Brewery. We heard people talking about it before our plane even landed, and since we like to check out local brew pubs when we travel we figured we should go.  Anyone else from the area had this before?  If you ever see this in a store, buy it before they stop making it for the year!

When I lived in Cleveland, the local homebrewer's society would meet at the Great Lakes Brewery. Those were GREAT times!

I do like Great Lakes' brews in general. I don't think I've been disappointed with a single one.

Oh, and I heard this recently: "My favorite beer? I can't decide if it's the ninth or tenth that is my favorite..."  Wink

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »

I liked them too. Especially the IPA and porter. (cant remember the names)

To me, while all of them were good, none of them really blew my mind like the Christmas ale.  I stuffed a few bottles in my suitcase and brought them home with me! Ha!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »

The Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock.  This is a wonderful beer but unfortunately it only comes out this time of year in a winter variety pack.  you have to by a 12 pack variety to get 2 chocolate bocks.  They aren't sold in separate 6 or 12 packs, at least in my neck of the woods.

Otherwise, I enjoy Russian Imperial Stouts (Sam Adams makes a decent one) but they have a high alcohol content (9%, sometimes more) so I might only drink a half of a bottle at a time.  I have a beer only rarely, but if I were to have one I think the chocolate bock and imperial stouts have the best flavor.  Generally, I like stouts best but the higher alcohol content in the imperial stouts adds sweetness and overcomes the bitterness that characterizes many stouts. 

Not sure why the "favorite beer" thread had to be revived during the Nativity fast though.  Wink  Perhaps some here are looking for ways to enjoy the many "wine & oil" days that characterize this fast (though I realize some people consider beer to be in a completely different category from wine and see nothing wrong with drinking beer even on strict fast days)    Tongue
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »

Not sure why the "favorite beer" thread had to be revived during the Nativity fast though.

This is my mistake.  Haha. Unfortunately, I am not Orthodox yet so I must admit that I dont keep up with all the different fasts as well as I should.

I knew it was a fast time, but I didnt even think about it when I brought this thread back! 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

Not sure why the "favorite beer" thread had to be revived during the Nativity fast though.

This is my mistake.  Haha. Unfortunately, I am not Orthodox yet so I must admit that I dont keep up with all the different fasts as well as I should.

I knew it was a fast time, but I didnt even think about it when I brought this thread back! 

Beer generally does not contain grapes.  During the fast I find it a good substitute for wine.  Not sure where Whiskey fits in, though.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »

Beer generally does not contain grapes.  During the fast I find it a good substitute for wine.

There is also neither oil nor grapes/wine in vodka, chrystal meth, cocaine, LSD, etc.  But there is the letter, and then there is the spirit.  Wink

(P.S. I am obviously not being serious here, just picking on a certain logic.  I honestly do not intend to debate whether or not beer should be consumed on "no wine" days, and I certainly realize that having a beer is not the same as consuming the other illegal substances mentioned above).
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »

I should mention that while the chocolate bock only comes out in a variety pack, the "Moo-Hoo Milk Chocolate Stout" by Terrapin is also very good and is sold as a 6, at least here.

TITL

Faith: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Catholic Church continues to celebrate a number of early and medieval saints related to alcohol—for instance, St. Adrian, patron saint of beer

What does 'patron saint of beer' mean? You ask the prayers of St. Adrian when you drink too much beer?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »

Beer generally does not contain grapes.  During the fast I find it a good substitute for wine.

There is also neither oil nor grapes/wine in vodka, chrystal meth, cocaine, LSD, etc.  But there is the letter, and then there is the spirit.  Wink

(P.S. I am obviously not being serious here, just picking on a certain logic.  I honestly do not intend to debate whether or not beer should be consumed on "no wine" days, and I certainly realize that having a beer is not the same as consuming the other illegal substances mentioned above).

Spirit, schmirit.  If I were into following the spirit of the fast I'd keep eating Taco Bell and skip on the Red Lobster!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

I've recently fallen in love with Leffe
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »

What does 'patron saint of beer' mean? You ask the prayers of St. Adrian when you drink too much beer?

If you're producing beer, as most monasteries in the West did, you might want some help to make sure all goes well and is done to the glory of God, rather than becoming a source of drunkenness.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: