OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:50:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite beer...  (Read 10279 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »

I saw there was one of these threads back in 2004, but its time for another.  As a community of believers, it is very important that we discuss these things.

For me, right now id have to say Dogfish Punkin.  Other than that, Guinness is always a safe bet.  Truthfully, I probably have hundreds of favorite beers...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

I hate beer, but I love lambic, which the men in my life insist counts as beer.

I can't even tell you how many picky drinkers I've converted with this. It is absolutely delicious and amazing and I've stopped drinking the commercialized sugary drinks because of it. I am sola lambic (with the occasional champagne, white wine, and hard cider thrown in).

I'll put Mr. Ismi's favorites, since he is a beer lover. Hailing from Boston, he remains loyal to Sam Adams. He also likes Yuengling and St. Pauli's Girl....and the case of Czech beer that my father brings him every time he visits. Wink (Can't remember which two types they are, though). However, he tries new stuff all the time and so I don't really know what his favorites are at the moment. But if he's defaulting, it's usually Sam Adams.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »

I don't know about favourites but these are rather good:

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

I hate beer, but I love lambic, which the men in my life insist counts as beer.

I can't even tell you how many picky drinkers I've converted with this. It is absolutely delicious and amazing and I've stopped drinking the commercialized sugary drinks because of it. I am sola lambic (with the occasional champagne, white wine, and hard cider thrown in).

I'll put Mr. Ismi's favorites, since he is a beer lover. Hailing from Boston, he remains loyal to Sam Adams. He also likes Yuengling and St. Pauli's Girl....and the case of Czech beer that my father brings him every time he visits. Wink (Can't remember which two types they are, though). However, he tries new stuff all the time and so I don't really know what his favorites are at the moment. But if he's defaulting, it's usually Sam Adams.

Ive never had lambic.  Ive seen it at stores and was always curious.  My wife HATES beer, except mikes hard lemonade and some hard ciders, so maybe this is something I should get for her to try.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

I don't know about favourites but these are rather good:

I had the rochefort the other day.  It didnt have a price next to it at the pub i was at.  turned out it ran me close to $18. haha. it was delicious, but had i known it was that much i wouldnt have tried it!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:01:34 PM »

Yes, Timon, those were my favorite drinks too! And I loved lambic after the first sip. It's got a beer-y kick, definitely, but the fruit overpowers it. Some friends didn't like it, but they only drink hard liquor and no wine or beer. Most people love it.

It is relatively expensive, though. Not for people who want more than 3 or 4 glasses at a time. Mr. Ismi lets me have the bottles to myself because he knows that if he joins me, he's going to finish 3/4ths of the bottle very quickly. I buy him whiskey to make him feel better (poor baby  laugh).

Let me know what your wife thinks if you get a chance to try it.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »

Yes, Timon, those were my favorite drinks too! And I loved lambic after the first sip. It's got a beer-y kick, definitely, but the fruit overpowers it. Some friends didn't like it, but they only drink hard liquor and no wine or beer. Most people love it.

It is relatively expensive, though. Not for people who want more than 3 or 4 glasses at a time. Mr. Ismi lets me have the bottles to myself because he knows that if he joins me, he's going to finish 3/4ths of the bottle very quickly. I buy him whiskey to make him feel better (poor baby  laugh).

Let me know what your wife thinks if you get a chance to try it.

Will do.  Ill try and pick some up today or tomorrow!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »

I wonder whether there are any Orthodox monasteries that brew fine dark beer? As good as Roman Catholic beers are I'd rather have my beer without any papal infallability.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:11:22 PM by Alpo » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »

Ayinger Hefeweisen.  All other beers are inferior.  Ayinger Hefeweisen is the only beer that contains no trace amounts estrogen.

Schlenkerla Rauchbier is also pretty good, though you need to drink it with smoked meats, and preferably with another beer or two before hand to prepare you for it.

If you are in the mood to take a trip back in time there is always Weienstephaner, the worlds oldest still operating brewery.  The Orthodox and Catholics were still together when they were founded.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »

The greatest beer in the multiverse.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »

My favorite:

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »

Schlenkerla Rauchbier is also pretty good, though you need to drink it with smoked meats, and preferably with another beer or two before hand to prepare you for it.

I actually tasted this for the first time on last tuesday. It was indeed pretty good once I got over the associations to smoked salmon.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »

I actually tasted this for the first time on last tuesday. It was indeed pretty good once I got over the associations to smoked salmon.

never had this one... need to try it soon.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »

Best beer on the planet.

Saturday evening:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »

My favorite:

I thought you only drank Shirley Temples?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »

Ah, Achronos, the first one you posted is one of Mr. Ismi's favorites! That was one of the Czech beers I was thinking of.

Can't remember the other one though.  Huh

And Asterisk, DIET?! You can stand that suga?

--
--
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »

I thought you only drank Shirley Temples?

Wait, wut? When I do drink, which is rare, I try to make it my friend Harvey.

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

forgot about this one...

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »

Some of these look really good! Unfortunately, it's hard to find such good stuff here in Mississippi. As for my favorite, it's definitely Guinness; not that I can afford to drink it very often. As for my favorite style of beer, I'm very fond of ales.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

Sugar... My taste buds say yes. My diabetes says no. The lectures I get from my doctor every three months breaks the tie, forcing me to go with diet  angel

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

Sugar... My taste buds say yes. My diabetes says no. The lectures I get from my doctor every three months breaks the tie, forcing me to go with diet  angel
Ahh, forgive me. I didn't know it was diabetes! Sorry about that. My Tato has to drink diet Coke too now and he developed a taste for it.

--
--
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »

These are my favorite root beers. Both make a diet version as well:

If I'm not mistaken, Barq's is the only root beer that contains caffeine.

Some interesting info on root beer:
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/subjects/r/root_beer/index.html

I also love Sasparilla and Birch Beer:
http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2008/11/21/sarsaparilla-birch-beer-and-ginger-ale-oh-my-part-i

Smiley

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 05:14:03 PM »

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/subjects/r/root_beer/index.html

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2008/11/21/sarsaparilla-birch-beer-and-ginger-ale-oh-my-part-i

Smiley

Selam

Ever try Ginger Beer?

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »

Smiley

Selam

Ever try Ginger Beer?

Oh yeah! I love me some good Jamaican Ginger Beer! Smiley

Selam

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »

Guinness
Boddington's
Warsteiner
Heineken

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

Warsteiner!

That was another name that Mr. Ismi and I have been trying to remember for a few months now. We tried this beer a while back and we completely forgot what it was. I've been googling the names I'm not familiar with and bingo! That's the bottle.

This thread is a gold mine, guys. Smiley

--
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »

You're welcome.  Grin The mini-kegs are awesome.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

Best beer on the planet.

Saturday evening:

Happy to see that you have so good taste  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
jewish voice
Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »

one of my old fav's back when I use to party
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »

one of my old fav's back when I use to party

That was made in the brewery in the small city I live near, until 2006, when the evil corporations destroyed everything Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:11:48 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »

As good as Roman Catholic beers are I'd rather have my beer without any papal infallability.
Right. Avoid anything which has been made by Roman Catholics.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »

As good as Roman Catholic beers are I'd rather have my beer without any papal infallability.
Right. Avoid anything which has been made by Roman Catholics.
Stigmata Ale.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

Warsteiner!

That was another name that Mr. Ismi and I have been trying to remember for a few months now. We tried this beer a while back and we completely forgot what it was. I've been googling the names I'm not familiar with and bingo! That's the bottle.

When my buddy from Braunschweig was over here, said to me once "ah Warsteiner.  You know, in Germany that is the sh!+ beer.  It's like Budweiser."   Wink  And then he finished his PBR.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:23:00 PM by vamrat » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Its made by priests, can't go wrong there Wink

Red Tail Ale, this is  a flagship beer for a legendary california brewery, the taste, texture, color, head, buzz, is superb, there is absolutely no defect in this beer.

I call this my "all-natural health drink" Wink

**note** surely some folks are going to point out that many Rastafari do not consume alcohol, and this is true.  However a) I come from the Twelve Tribes of Israel mansion where we do allow alcoholic consumption much to the criticism of other mansions and b) as practiced the nazarite vow for nearly 8 years the last time I had my locks like Samson, and I was more devoutly abstinent from alcohol than the Ayatollah, and in this regard I put in my work, so these I enjoy me a beer or four from time to time, but always in the spirit of fellowship and celebration of the gift of life from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:34:59 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Mivac

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »

Black Butte Porter  Grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deschutesbrewery/5999380227/sizes/l/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:44:32 PM by Mivac » Logged
Byron
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

Franziskaner Weissbeer and Franziskaner Dark.

Has a (Franciskan?) monk character on the label. Possible Catholic connection?

Great beer.

Also trippel karmeliet Belgian ale.

Mainstream US beer is swill.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »

Warsteiner!

When my buddy from Braunschweig was over here, said to me once "ah Warsteiner.  You know, in Germany that is the sh!+ beer.  It's like Budweiser."   Wink  And then he finished his PBR.
We couldn't describe it, but it tasted weird! He liked the weird, however.

LOL on the story. Go PBR! Noooot. Smiley

--
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »

I like fruit juice. I like beer. I do not like beer with fruit flavors.  Undecided

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »

You are missing out! Wink

--
--
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »

Oh, I've had some. All I can figure is that some folks in Belgium are entirely too happy.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Its made by priests, can't go wrong there Wink

Red Tail Ale, this is  a flagship beer for a legendary california brewery, the taste, texture, color, head, buzz, is superb, there is absolutely no defect in this beer.

I call this my "all-natural health drink" Wink

**note** surely some folks are going to point out that many Rastafari do not consume alcohol, and this is true.  However a) I come from the Twelve Tribes of Israel mansion where we do allow alcoholic consumption much to the criticism of other mansions and b) as practiced the nazarite vow for nearly 8 years the last time I had my locks like Samson, and I was more devoutly abstinent from alcohol than the Ayatollah, and in this regard I put in my work, so these I enjoy me a beer or four from time to time, but always in the spirit of fellowship and celebration of the gift of life from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Every Rastaman knows that Guinness is always acceptable!  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENnFjxHzdIw

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »

If I lived in Oregon, I'm afraid I'd be an alcoholic!

Selam
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:40:48 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

Now I'll have to go beer shopping tomorrow!  laugh What a shame that we all live too far apart to share this, ah, important experiment.  Wink

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »

Now I'll have to go beer shopping tomorrow!  laugh What a shame that we all live too far apart to share this, ah, important experiment.  Wink
I was going to say, I would switch beer for your fruity lambic.

We inherited (I use that term very loosely) a trunk packed with "specialty" beers (not sure how special they are -- I spot some familiar ones in there), which are 4 years past their expiration date. I looked at Mr. Ismi and said, "Who does that? Who keeps a bottle of Sam Adams for years?"

"Guys."

There are some stuff in there that he said he hasn't seen before. But what good is it going to do him? We had to make a trip tonight. This thread was making me thirsty!

--
--
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »

now i aint sure how many of yall are from the country. i also aint sure how many of yall play in softball tournaments...

if you live in the country and ever participate in a softball tourney, this is what us boys will be drinkin...

for every 12 ounces you pound, thats 20 feet added on to your long ball.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: