OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Describe Your Soul-Mate!  (Read 1577 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »

Attractive, devout Orthodox Christian, taller than myself, loves children, thoughtful/kind, works out at least once a week, and somewhat ambitious. Hope and pray to find my love soon Smiley

So, have you modified it from Oriental Orthodox Christian to Any Orthodox Christian?   Wink
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »

Attractive, devout Orthodox Christian, taller than myself, loves children, thoughtful/kind, works out at least once a week, and somewhat ambitious. Hope and pray to find my love soon Smiley

So, have you modified it from Oriental Orthodox Christian to Any Orthodox Christian?   Wink

that will never happen :-)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »

that will never happen :-)

Darn!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 08:14:51 PM »

Oh! And also someone who will not poke fun at or judge me because I am short.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »

Yall are awfully demanding.

Assuming you find what you think it is what you need in a woman, how many think the girl you meet will be the same 10 years later?

That's especially what I think for everyone who won't date outside of the faith. Especially ironic for the convert. No she might not convert, then again she might.

I'm going to need this.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »

Such insecurities are unattractive. As we used to say in seminary (with fake Russian accents): If you want a woman, Be. Real. Man.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »

I thought my list was fairly reasonable. Decently attractive, same faith, pleasant disposition. Is that a lot to ask?

Assuming you find what you think it is what you need in a woman, how many think the girl you meet will be the same 10 years later?

People change. But unless you can predict how they will change, that fact really isn't helpful when making decisions.

That's especially what I think for everyone who won't date outside of the faith. Especially ironic for the convert. No she might not convert, then again she might.

Well, Orthodox Christians are not allowed to marry non-Christians. Nor are they allowed to have sexual relations out of marriage. Nor does permanent celibate dating appeal to me in any way. So clearly I have to look for someone I can (eventually) lawfully marry. Now I'm not Orthodox yet, but I probably will be soon, so I work with that assumption. Christian is a bare minimum.

It seems to me that raising children (just as a first example) with someone of a different faith would be very difficult and possibly destructive. Now, is it possible the Orthodox girl I marry might apostasize later? Or that the Lutheran I marry might convert later? Sure. But I can only work with what I know from the way things are right now.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »

People change. But unless you can predict how they will change, that fact really isn't helpful when making decisions.

No, you can't. But if your list is narrow, they will bounce outside of it. If your list is more broad, then they may bounce into it.

Well, Orthodox Christians are not allowed to marry non-Christians. Nor are they allowed to have sexual relations out of marriage. Nor does permanent celibate dating appeal to me in any way. So clearly I have to look for someone I can (eventually) lawfully marry. Now I'm not Orthodox yet, but I probably will be soon, so I work with that assumption. Christian is a bare minimum.

What doesn't sexual relations outside of marriage have to do with anything? You're not allowed to marry outside of the faith? I wonder how that's been practiced so far, especially in a non-Orthodox country.

Again, very ironic for someone who isn't even Orthodox to not consider someone non-Orthodox.

It seems to me that raising children (just as a first example) with someone of a different faith would be very difficult and possibly destructive. Now, is it possible the Orthodox girl I marry might apostasize later? Or that the Lutheran I marry might convert later? Sure. But I can only work with what I know from the way things are right now.

It may be... it may not be... Good luck on finding a girl...

I'm going to need this.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

No, you can't. But if your list is narrow, they will bounce outside of it. If your list is more broad, then they may bounce into it.

My list still seems broad to me.

What doesn't sexual relations outside of marriage have to do with anything? You're not allowed to marry outside of the faith? I wonder how that's been practiced so far, especially in a non-Orthodox country.

You can marry (as an Orthodox) a Catholic or Protestant, but not a heathen.

Again, very ironic for someone who isn't even Orthodox to not consider someone non-Orthodox.

I'm aware of the irony. But I'm looking at my projected future. If I don't wind up Orthodox, that requirement obviously won't exist. For instance, if I convert to Catholicism, the preference will be for a Catholic. But as I think I'll convert to Orthodoxy soon, this is largely a moot point. It's not as though I'm dating anyone or actively seeking to date anyone at the moment.

It may be... it may not be... Good luck on finding a girl...

Er...thanks, I guess.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »

And, yet, you demand perfection.  You've got a long row to hoe, son.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »

Well it didn't say "describe the person you'd be happy with"... if you're gonna describe a "soul mate" you might as well go extreme. Besides, I'm pretty sure I already met someone that fit my above description (and it wasn't even my wife). But you never know how things'll work out I guess, which leads to...

I agree completely. It's hard for me to express how much I've changed in the ten years since I married in 2002. Unfortunately some of the changes haven't gone far enough  Cheesy
Nadege

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »

A man like the President;
a man like John Kerry;

gee, I don't follow anyone other than politicians and can't think abstractly, so a single attractive man with the mentality of either one of the above.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:00:56 PM by Nadege » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: