Author Topic: Making incense  (Read 292 times)

Offline elriba

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocesis of Panama
Making incense
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
Hi,
For a while I have noticed the difference in quality of the incese used in my church, but for some reason, I have recently become much more interested on the subject.  To the point that I would like to try my hand at making incense at home.

I am interested in making "athonite style" incense.  Meaning the kind that is made by mixing ground frankincense with essential oils. 

I know that this will be a trial and error learning process, but I would much prefer not to start from zero.  Do any of you have information on how to start with this?  Maybe there a consultant here who offers professional advice - for a fee - on this subject? 

Thanks,
Edgard

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: Making incense
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
Certainly not trying to discourage you, but why not buy from monasteries that make Athonite-style incense?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »
There are some videos on YouTube about how it's done. It looks messy and laborious.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline elriba

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »
Certainly not trying to discourage you, but why not buy from monasteries that make Athonite-style incense?
Because I "think" this is something I wold enjoy doing.  Also, I'll probably still buy online anyhow.  :-)

Here in Panama good quality incense is almost non-existent.

Offline elriba

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:21:54 PM »
There are some videos on YouTube about how it's done. It looks messy and laborious.
Yes... I have seen a few.  I am hoping that for small batches of 100-200 grams it won't be that messy.  If it is too messy my wife will probably object....

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:49:22 PM »
Because I "think" this is something I wold enjoy doing.  Also, I'll probably still buy online anyhow.  :-)

Best wishes in your endeavors.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Rubricnigel

• OC.net guru
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:21:20 PM »
Hi,
For a while I have noticed the difference in quality of the incese used in my church, but for some reason, I have recently become much more interested on the subject.  To the point that I would like to try my hand at making incense at home.

I am interested in making "athonite style" incense.  Meaning the kind that is made by mixing ground frankincense with essential oils. 

I know that this will be a trial and error learning process, but I would much prefer not to start from zero.  Do any of you have information on how to start with this?  Maybe there a consultant here who offers professional advice - for a fee - on this subject? 

Thanks,
Edgard

Diy sites might have good info on the subject.

Do keep us posted, and if you figure out a good recipe, share. It sounds like a fun project.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 01:14:00 PM »
If you can stand the idiotic music, here's a video of a monk making incense:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34r0ns

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 02:20:09 PM »

Can’t you get copal where you are?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:21:18 PM by Iconodule »
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline elriba

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
I don't know too be honest.

You can get generic frankincense and myrrh.  Can't really know the source of it, and you have to grind it a bit so that it doesn't give too much of an after odour.  You can also get a couple of "flavoured" incenses, but they aren't that nice in my opinion.  The one more commonly used is called "3 kings". 

Offline elriba

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »
If you can stand the idiotic music, here's a video of a monk making incense:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34r0ns

Thanks.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
I don't know too be honest.

You can get generic frankincense and myrrh.  Can't really know the source of it, and you have to grind it a bit so that it doesn't give too much of an after odour.  You can also get a couple of "flavoured" incenses, but they aren't that nice in my opinion.  The one more commonly used is called "3 kings".

I ask because copal is the traditional incense used by Maya and other Central American people and it’s similar to frankincense. In Mexico and guatemala at least they use tons of it.