OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 06:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quirks, habits, and/or annoying mannerisms  (Read 568 times) Average Rating: 0
littlepilgrim64
High Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »

This should be interesting . . . what are some of yours?   I'll start . . .

- If I purchase a cup of coffee at a drive-thru, I take off the lid, position the cup in such a way so that the tips of my fingers of my right hand go along the seam, then realign the lid so that I can drink from it.  Then I feel as if all is right with the world  Smiley

- Also, when wearing slippers I like the sound produced when dragging my feet across my tiled kitchen floor. (Used to annoy my husband)
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

I have to make the bed in the morning. . . and it HAS to be tight and neat.  And the pillows HAVE to match properly with the proper balance of contrast. Drives my husband bonkers.

Dad was a Marine.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:00:30 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »

I have to sit with my back facing a wall when eating or I get agitated. I don't like waiters/waitresses walking up behind me.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:07:30 PM »

I can not bear the sight or touch of wooden popsicle sticks.  Just thinking about them makes my skin crawl.
If I see someone holding an ice cream on a wooden stick I leave the room. 
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »

If only I had this kind of self-awareness. Tongue Actually, my tics are so many they blur together to produce simply an eccentric.

My wife's I could tell you all about in detail. Wink

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »

When watching television the volume has to be an even number and not an odd one.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »

Oh boy... I'll be able to post in this thread every day for as long as I post at the forum  Grin

First. If I'm entering a building, and I look back and see someone 20 feet behind me, especially if it's a girl*, I hold the door for them out of some warped since of being polite. Except it isn't polite, because then they often feel obligated to hurry up and get to the door so I'm not standing there forever holding it for them. So rather than helping them I am actually forcing them to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do and so in some sense inconveniencing them.

*Yeah, well, so I'm just being honest...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »

Oh boy... I'll be able to post in this thread every day for as long as I post at the forum  Grin

First. If I'm entering a building, and I look back and see someone 20 feet behind me, especially if it's a girl*, I hold the door for them out of some warped since of being polite. Except it isn't polite, because then they often feel obligated to hurry up and get to the door so I'm not standing there forever holding it for them. So rather than helping them I am actually forcing them to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do and so in some sense inconveniencing them.

A woman did this to me today.  I was kinda confused because I'm not used to women holding doors for me and I was way more than 20 feet away.  I had to break into a jog to make it to the door in a reasonable time.  I was in a suit and jogging in a suit is just weird.

DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »

A woman did this to me today.  I was kinda confused because I'm not used to women holding doors for me and I was way more than 20 feet away.  I had to break into a jog to make it to the door in a reasonable time.  I was in a suit and jogging in a suit is just weird.

are you calling Justin a woman?!

you might need an eye exam, dear.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »

Oh boy... I'll be able to post in this thread every day for as long as I post at the forum  Grin

A woman did this to me today.  I was kinda confused because I'm not used to women holding doors for me and I was way more than 20 feet away.  I had to break into a jog to make it to the door in a reasonable time.  I was in a suit and jogging in a suit is just weird.

are you calling Justin a woman?!

you might need an eye exam, dear.
nope, I'm saying a woman pulled a Justin (that is what I will call it now) on me and I did not much care for it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:44:20 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

I'm more disturbed by my inability to spell 'sense'  Undecided

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »

at least you didn't spell it cense
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »

I'm more disturbed by my inability to spell 'sense'  Undecided

Only prescriptive grammarians would ding you.
Besides, one can sense the correct usage through the context.
When one is speaking, the words since, sense, cense, and cence all sound the same.

Even sinse is a word used by those still in high school. Check out the Urban dictionary. I will not print it out.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sinse  [do not say that I did not warn you]

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:21:02 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »

When playing table tennis, ping pong if you prefer, I poke my tongue out whenever the competitive spirit moves me..... Tongue
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

I have a ridiculously terrible ice chewing habitaddiction.

Luckily I am alone most of the time and I really resist doing it in front of others.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »

When playing table tennis, ping pong if you prefer, I poke my tongue out whenever the competitive spirit moves me..... Tongue
Michael Jordan, is that you?   laugh

littlepilgrim64
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »

Luckily I am alone most of the time and I really resist doing it in front of others.

I do this too . . . I especially like the tiny pellet ice you get in the drinks at Sonic.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »

Sometimes I move forward and backward when sitting down. That repetitive motion thing, like those people you see and think are crazy because they're moving back and forth for no particular reason or need? That's me sometimes (in fact I was doing it about 10 minutes ago). I'm not crazy though because I don't do it in public; that's how it seems to work, anyhow. Though on the other hand some repetitive motions are allowed in public, such as finger or foot tapping, moving your leg back and forth (especially when they are crossed), etc. Same thing with talking to yourself: I, like most everyone else, talk to myself, I just do it in my head rather than verbally in public, and so I am deemed sane, whereas those who verbalize their thoughts when talking to themselves are to be feared. So, not following arbitrary social etiquette = you're crazy. Though I guess it makes sense considering that if you aren't doing what is normal then you are by default abnormal, and if you don't abide by the customs and limits required by the group then you aren't considered part of the group. *shrugs*  Cool
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:39:43 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

I do this too . . . I especially like the tiny pellet ice you get in the drinks at Sonic.

IKEA is worth going to just for the ice in the restaurant!

Holy grail of ice there
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »

Michael Jordan, is that you?   laugh

Cheesy No, that's not I. Anyway, as Boris Johnson might say, I'm off for a game of Wiff Waff. Wink
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »

When I get dressed up for liturgy on Sunday, my tie must be perfectly straight and wrinkle free. I hate when the tip curls or when it's wrinkly. I will resort to using my mother's hair straightener to get my tie to its smooth, wrinkle-free perfection.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »

Quirk? That would describe about 90% of who I am, unless of course I have a few drinks in me (then I'm almost normal).  Cheesy

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

When I heat up food I see whether it's hot enough by touching it with my tongue. Also, I usually smell my food before I eat it. I only do this when I'm at home, of course. I would never do it in public.  Wink

Same thing with talking to yourself: I, like most everyone else, talk to myself

I talk to myself too. I don't know, but it just seems weird. Anyone else do this?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:41:40 PM by Laird » Logged

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »

Brought to my attention today:  I always always match.   And often wear monochromatic colors. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Porter ODoran
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Erst Amish Appalachian

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »

Move to NYC and you can wear all black every day. Smiley

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

at least you didn't spell it cense

That would have incensed me.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »

When I heat up food I see whether it's hot enough by touching it with my tongue. Also, I usually smell my food before I eat it. I only do this when I'm at home, of course. I would never do it in public.  Wink

I talk to myself too. I don't know, but it just seems weird. Anyone else do this?

I was told a long time ago it was ok as long as you don't answer yourself, but I have learned since then that I sometimes learn from doing that. angel

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 10:35:01 PM »

Move to NYC and you can wear all black every day. Smiley

Smiley  Black denim, maybe, huh?

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »

I was told a long time ago it was ok as long as you don't answer yourself, but I have learned since then that I sometimes learn from doing that. angel

Now days, answering yourself is too frequent (with ear buds and alll) that no one really cares about that, either. . .

but don't start slapping your hand or getting into fist fights with yourself - that would raise and eyebrow or two.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:38:54 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
littlepilgrim64
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »

I do this too . . . especially when I'm in the car driving to organize my thoughts and/or talking to God.
Chiere
FREEDOM!!!!!
Warned
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Indianapolis

Thank you LizaSymonenko for my avatar!

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 05:58:58 AM »

I can never spell "receive" properly. I always get the I and E turned around.

littlepilgrim64
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »

I can never spell "receive" properly. I always get the I and E turned around.

Yes, this and similar words I too have to stop, think and say to myself what was learned in school . .  "I before E, except after C" . . . LOL  Smiley

BTW, Welcome to the forum.  Cute kittie gif  Smiley
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »

I have had a problem with the word "misled" since grade school, I thought it was pronounced like "miser", but It was pointed out to me in junior high, but when reading I still have to stop myself.

Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »

The left earphone has to be in my left ear, and the right one in my right.  

I know this a bad habit, but I like chewing on ice. Hopefully all the milk I drink will offset what this ice is doing to my teeth!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:13:15 PM by Laird » Logged

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 12:29:59 AM »

The left earphone has to be in my left ear, and the right one in my right.  

I know this a bad habit, but I like chewing on ice. Hopefully all the milk I drink will offset what this ice is doing to my teeth!

Milk or dairy products won't make any difference to tooth cracks. The damage is already done.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: