Author Topic: Do you cook?  (Read 29177 times)

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Re: Do you cook?
« Reply #315 on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
Unfortunately we do. I think the rationale behind that is that in regular house cooking people are more likely to have cups at home than a kitchen balance.

But Google has done it again: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=converting+cups&meta=

If you want tables though, this one is good:

http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtml

Do you use cups as measures in Brazil? I thought that was just a US thing. Honestly, it's one of the banes of my life when I find an interesting looking recipe only to find that I then have to spend ages trying to convert all the measures into something I can actually understand. It's not so bad with liquids but dry foods are a nightmare. Why on earth would anyone measure a cup of nuts rather than weighing them?

Incidentally, if anyone knows of a good resource for converting US measures to something more sensible (metric preferably but even Imperial would do), I'd be very grateful.

James
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #316 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
Unfortunately we do. I think the rationale behind that is that in regular house cooking people are more likely to have cups at home than a kitchen balance.

But Google has done it again: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=converting+cups&meta=

Do you use cups as measures in Brazil? I thought that was just a US thing. Honestly, it's one of the banes of my life when I find an interesting looking recipe only to find that I then have to spend ages trying to convert all the measures into something I can actually understand. It's not so bad with liquids but dry foods are a nightmare. Why on earth would anyone measure a cup of nuts rather than weighing them?

Incidentally, if anyone knows of a good resource for converting US measures to something more sensible (metric preferably but even Imperial would do), I'd be very grateful.

James

Thanks. I'd found your second link before. It's about the best I've come across, though it's hardly what I'd call a comprehensive list. As the problems are caused by the use of cups with dry ingredients, the Google link you gave is not much use. Knowing the volume of a cup in ml is only really useful for liquids.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #317 on: May 15, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »
Well, you can always create your own table. I am to buy my own kitchen balance for that. :)

James

Thanks. I'd found your second link before. It's about the best I've come across, though it's hardly what I'd call a comprehensive list. As the problems are caused by the use of cups with dry ingredients, the Google link you gave is not much use. Knowing the volume of a cup in ml is only really useful for liquids.

James
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Well, you can always create your own table. I am to buy my own kitchen balance for that. :)

James

James

But I'd need to buy American measuring cups. I've never even seen one and if I had some I suppose I could live with using them rather than scales. It is a really weird difference though. Over here (and by here I mean Europe in general not just the UK) I've never known anyone who didn't have a set of kitchen scales and the idea of measuring dry ingredients (particularly if the size can vary a lot, say with chopped nuts or the like) by volume rather than weight is just odd. It seems so incredibly imprecise. I can't imagine how you'd bake that way - that's always struck me as closer to chemistry than cooking given how precise you need to be with your measures.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:31 AM »
I'm first visual and palatal with that. I put more or less the same quantity from that one time when it worked. Then I keep tasting to check if it tastes the same. Usually it works. I should get more disciplined though and take notes of measures. :)

James

James

But I'd need to buy American measuring cups. I've never even seen one and if I had some I suppose I could live with using them rather than scales. It is a really weird difference though. Over here (and by here I mean Europe in general not just the UK) I've never known anyone who didn't have a set of kitchen scales and the idea of measuring dry ingredients (particularly if the size can vary a lot, say with chopped nuts or the like) by volume rather than weight is just odd. It seems so incredibly imprecise. I can't imagine how you'd bake that way - that's always struck me as closer to chemistry than cooking given how precise you need to be with your measures.

James

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
Talking about breakfast on the other thread, I remembered a classic Brazilian breakfast food that you can have specially if you eat at coffee shops: the cheese bread. Originally from the rural area of the state of Minas Gerais, it's associated with the large farms of old.

Here's a recipe:

PÃO DE QUEIJO – Cheese bread
Sounds and looks like what we knew as chipa in Paraguay. Never tried making it myself, but this recipe seems simple enough.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #321 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
It does look the same. :)

Talking about breakfast on the other thread, I remembered a classic Brazilian breakfast food that you can have specially if you eat at coffee shops: the cheese bread. Originally from the rural area of the state of Minas Gerais, it's associated with the large farms of old.

Here's a recipe:

PÃO DE QUEIJO – Cheese bread
Sounds and looks like what we knew as chipa in Paraguay. Never tried making it myself, but this recipe seems simple enough.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #322 on: May 15, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »

I can make a mean Ramen, now without my mother's supervision  :D

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #323 on: May 15, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »
I can make a mean Ramen, now without my mother's supervision  :D

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
Ahhhhhhrrrrrrggggghhhhhhggggg BLAH. I shouldn't have ate that entire king size candy bar. . .  :(

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
Ahhhhhhrrrrrrggggghhhhhhggggg BLAH. I shouldn't have ate that entire king size candy bar. . .  :(
i will pray for your digestive bowels
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline RehamG

• Elder
    • Add me on FB
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Mahshy. Yea, it ain't very pretty but it wasn't cooked yet either.

I like cooking; my personal passion. I could post a ton of pics since I like to photograph my food like a weirdo but I'll spare you guys. :P
"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #327 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #328 on: June 17, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
I could post a ton of pics since I like to photograph my food like a weirdo but I'll spare you guys.

No, you are not weird. You are quite normal. It seems many people think what they eat is of great interest to others for some reason. When I didn't think the cellphone could make eating worse with people talking and txting, they now seem really keen on photographing what they are eating and sharing with all their friends not at the table. And talking and txting with those same friends not at the table about the meal.

I've nearly given up on confiscating people's phones.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #329 on: June 17, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
Taking pics of your food adds a cool hipster sheen to an otherwise lackluster personality.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
Well my cooking is pretty great and the world should know about it.

And what I eat is the most important meal of the day for just about everybody
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:21:19 PM by Achronos »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #331 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

I've had pretty much nada so far today.

I am thinking beans and sardines tonight. If I could send you the smell of my dinner and my environment about three hours after eating, I would for sure.

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #332 on: June 17, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Taking pics of your food adds a cool hipster sheen to an otherwise lackluster personality.

And if anyone else wants to add a cool hipster Sheen, just give me a PM.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:29:36 PM by sheenj »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #333 on: June 17, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »

I am thinking beans and sardines tonight. If I could send you the smell of my dinner and my environment about three hours after eating, I would for sure.
Sardines.

Why don't you make Vienna sausages and SPAM tonight?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #334 on: June 17, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

Sardines.

It just wouldn't give him the same olfactory thrill about three hours after eating.  And everyone knows that the joy of eating lies as much in the nose as on the tongue.

His willingness to share with you though, is truly touching.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:52:57 PM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #335 on: June 17, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »

Nice.  I love kippered herring and baked beans.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #336 on: June 17, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »

Sardines.

It just wouldn't give him the same olfactory thrill about three hours after eating.  And everyone knows that the joy of eating lies as much in the nose as on the tongue.

Good thing cell phones can't share smells yet.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »

Sardines.

Good thing cell phones can't share smells yet.

Amen, amen, amen!!!
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #338 on: June 17, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
I bet we'll have at least a crude form of smellivision within the next 20 years...

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
I'd give orthonorm a good ribbing publicly, but I play too much inside baseball for it to be considered a home run.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
Cooking the Achilles's Heel of King Richard I.....roasted chicken :)

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
I was a steakhouse chef sometime after high school.
Learn meditation.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »
FYI: Milk + Fruit Loops + A1 Sauce = Yuck

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #343 on: June 17, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
you are the poorest dude on this board
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:24:09 PM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
Cooking the Achilles's Heel of King Richard I.....roasted chicken :)

PP

That's what I made yesterday. Today I casseroled the leftovers with onion, carrot and peas. There was enough for tonight's dinner (with chips) and for a good batch of pies.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #345 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

Well, some people put sriracha on almost everything. I figured, why not A1?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »

Well, some people put sriracha on almost everything. I figured, why not A1?

A1 and Milk...and Fruit Loops...what is wrong with you.

I eat ketchup with everything, but cereal is a big no.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #347 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
You're approaching 10,000 posts on this forum. That's a huge step towards the final and utter ruination of your real world credibility.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #348 on: June 17, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
You're approaching 10,000 posts on this forum. That's a huge step towards the final and utter ruination of your real world credibility.
I never had real world credibility.

I'm going deep underground son!

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
  • Faith: I dunno, Lutheran???
  • Jurisdiction: People's Republic of Memphis
« Reply #349 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
I figured out how to get some smoke going on my gas grill. My ribs have gotten even awesomer.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2013, 07:05:13 PM »
I figured out how to get some smoke going on my gas grill. My ribs have gotten even awesomer.
Yo I will seriously make the trip to where you live in Cincinatti.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2013, 07:11:12 PM »
Sorry, Dayton, right?

I'll even buy the food

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
Yo I will seriously make the trip to where you live in Cincinatti.

He ain't in Cincinnati..

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
  • Faith: I dunno, Lutheran???
  • Jurisdiction: People's Republic of Memphis
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »
Sorry, Dayton, right?

I'll even buy the food
That's correct. I'll be going to college in Memphis, so you may or may not catch me, but I'd be down for this.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
A1 and Milk...and Fruit Loops...what is wrong with you.

I eat ketchup with everything, but cereal is a big no.

I tried fried bologna with A1... better results, but still not a perfect pairing... I guess my palate is just too refined...  ;D

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Sorry, Dayton, right?

I'll even buy the food
That's correct. I'll be going to college in Memphis, so you may or may not catch me, but I'd be down for this.
Well you are in Dayton the whole summer right?

Let's BBQ it up.

And we will throw every post of orthonorm's into Hume's bonfire!

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #356 on: June 24, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
PM me for the recipe

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »
My terrible attempt at Greek cooking. A little early for lentil soup but whatever. Also did potatoes with lemon and garlic. Served with bread and wine. Trying to adhere to Greek eating for a month.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:05:24 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
I can only hope Justin isn't eating 40 Banquet TV dinners and 4 liters of Diet Sunkist no mo

By any chance is that just out of lazineess? You should take a look at Soylent 2.0  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:04:35 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »
Life isn't worth the effort, much less so cooking...