OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 11:18:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you cook?  (Read 12981 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

He already said he was married.  You should be ashamed going after a married man.

Me, on the other hand...

What are you doing this weekend?  If you're not busy perhaps we could catch a Vespers or something
You could always whip up some vamratatouille.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »

He already said he was married.  You should be ashamed going after a married man.

Me, on the other hand...

What are you doing this weekend?  If you're not busy perhaps we could catch a Vespers or something
You could always whip up some vamratatouille.....

PP

Oh, now you're just getting naughty!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

So, anyone have any good chili recipes?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #228 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

Do you like soy meat?  Get some soyburger, canned chilies, raw jalapeno, one anaheim, one can of chili beans, stewed tomatoes, an onion.  Chop up the unchopped vegetables.  Cook up the mystery meat first with some chili powder (Tabasco if your spice cabinet sucks) garlic powder, the jalapeno, and a good portion of the onions.  Use some form of oil.  Put it in the pot with the other vegetables and canned stuff and bring it to heat until it bubbles.  Then turn it down to a simmer and cook for about an hour. 

Simple stuff, yo.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #229 on: March 07, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

Do you like soy meat?  Get some soyburger, canned chilies, raw jalapeno, one anaheim, one can of chili beans, stewed tomatoes, an onion.  Chop up the unchopped vegetables.  Cook up the mystery meat first with some chili powder (Tabasco if your spice cabinet sucks) garlic powder, the jalapeno, and a good portion of the onions.  Use some form of oil.  Put it in the pot with the other vegetables and canned stuff and bring it to heat until it bubbles.  Then turn it down to a simmer and cook for about an hour.  

Simple stuff, yo.

What kind of "canned chilies"? Plus, if you simmer for 1 hour, don't the soyburger pieces turn into mush?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:53:54 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

Do you like soy meat?  Get some soyburger, canned chilies, raw jalapeno, one anaheim, one can of chili beans, stewed tomatoes, an onion.  Chop up the unchopped vegetables.  Cook up the mystery meat first with some chili powder (Tabasco if your spice cabinet sucks) garlic powder, the jalapeno, and a good portion of the onions.  Use some form of oil.  Put it in the pot with the other vegetables and canned stuff and bring it to heat until it bubbles.  Then turn it down to a simmer and cook for about an hour.  

Simple stuff, yo.

What kind of "canned chilies"? Plus, if you simmer for 1 hour, don't the soyburger pieces turn into mush?

Canned chilies - I just grab whatever catches my eye on the bottom row in the Mexican section of the supermarket.  I'm not picky when it comes to peppers!

I hadn't thought of the soyburger mush.  I haven't tried this yet, so thanks for pointing that out.  Perhaps simmer all the veggies together first and then add the mystery meat near the end?  A bit bassackwards but it might work.

Taxiarches

« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »

Simple stuff, yo.

Canned chilies - I just grab whatever catches my eye on the bottom row in the Mexican section of the supermarket.  I'm not picky when it comes to peppers!

I hadn't thought of the soyburger mush.  I haven't tried this yet, so thanks for pointing that out.  Perhaps simmer all the veggies together first and then add the mystery meat near the end?  A bit bassackwards but it might work.

I think waiting until last few minutes would be great. Also, I would use chipotles canned in adobe and reserve some to be added at the same time as the soyburger. Finally, how about giving the dish more of a zing with a last minute splash of Texas Pete and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and/or green onions?

Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »

Simple stuff, yo.

Use shredded textured vegetable protein (TVP). It can be bought at Whole Foods and other SWPL-type stores.

Taxiarches

« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »

Here is a great vegetarian chili recipe from Emeril Lagasse: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html.

Other inventive uses of beans may be found in other cuisines as well.

Turkish: Pinto Beans (Pinto Fasulyesi) from http://almostturkish.blogspot.com/2007/04/pinto-beans-pinto-faslyesi.html

Bulgarian: Bean Soup from http://www.bgcooks.com/2010/06/bulgarian-been-soup-zrial-bob.html

Indian:72 recipes that use chick peas, lentils, beans, etc..from http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-beans/

Italian: Pasta Fazool from http://www.passionatevegetarian.com/r_pasta_fagioli.htm

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »

I'm going to have to give some of those Indian dishes a try.  I love Indian food.  Unfortunately, I rarely have the motivation to cook, so my lenten fare tends to be lots fried or smoked fish or like last night - black bread smeared with I can't believe it's not butter and a lime to prevent scurvy.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »

Haven't you heard the story of the woman who danced before men for a good cause?

Stick around this forum long enough and you will.  Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #236 on: March 08, 2012, 01:27:43 AM »

This website has some awesome middle-eastern recipes, many lenten:

http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »

Honest question (not judging), but why have so many "lenten" recipes I've seen posted on here included oil and fish? 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #238 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »

Honest question (not judging), but why have so many "lenten" recipes I've seen posted on here included oil and fish? 
You mean olive oil or other oil?

A lot of Orthodox use oil if it's not olive oil, like Russians drinking beer because it isn't wine.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

A lot of Orthodox use oil if it's not olive oil, like Russians drinking beer because it isn't wine.

Russians drink beer because it is bread.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »

For fish, at least with me, it's a choice between that and breaking the fast.  I am not and have never been a vegetarian.  I am an omnivore who leans slightly towards carnivore.  I think the vast majority of vegetables taste like feces, and a diet of nothing but potatoes and bread is a good way to stack on another twenty pounds, and to be honest, I'm going to have to loose something like fifty if I want to be healthy. 

I generally steer away from olive oil during the fast and just use vegetable oil since it really does the same thing.

And yes, I drink beer because it is not wine, and really is just liquid bread.  Likewise, vodka is not wine.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »

For fish, at least with me, it's a choice between that and breaking the fast.  I am not and have never been a vegetarian.  I am an omnivore who leans slightly towards carnivore.  I think the vast majority of vegetables taste like feces, and a diet of nothing but potatoes and bread is a good way to stack on another twenty pounds, and to be honest, I'm going to have to loose something like fifty if I want to be healthy. 

I generally steer away from olive oil during the fast and just use vegetable oil since it really does the same thing.

And yes, I drink beer because it is not wine, and really is just liquid bread.  Likewise, vodka is not wine.

Your problem is that you are a picky eater. While I am a carnivore of carnivores, vegetables are delicious.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »

Your problem is that you are a picky eater. While I am a carnivore of carnivores, vegetables are delicious
Especially when cooked in bacon grease Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:17 AM »

Your problem is that you are a picky eater. While I am a carnivore of carnivores, vegetables are delicious

PP

Exactly.  I can eat vegetables, I just need something to cover up the flavor.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »

PP

Exactly.  I can eat vegetables, I just need something to cover up the flavor.

That's the problem. You need to get over being a picky eater. I am not giving you a hard time.

For example, you mention that you need to drop 50 lbs. Picky eaters are commonly overweight. For some reason, there is never the picky eater who can only eat cruciferous vegetables. Rather, they can only eat grilled cheese sandwiches and french fries.

Also, related to the topic at hand, it has social consequences, such as the case of the man in the linked article who asked for a grilled cheese sandwich at a fancy Italian restaurant.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200701/the-grown-picky-eaters-club

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »

I read the article and it didn't take long for the common cure-all for anything ever.....medication. *sigh*.

Anyways, Im a picky eater as well. my palette has been brodening of late, but still there are some things that I find horrid. Such as tomatoes and pickles.

Oddly, I love everything flavor-wise about tomato based products. I love ketchup and I make a mean red sauce from scratch Wink

I just can not stand the taste of a tomato in its natural state.

As for pickles, they are demon spawn and I will starve before eating one....actually, I have Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »

I read the article and it didn't take long for the common cure-all for anything ever.....medication. *sigh*.

Anyways, Im a picky eater as well. my palette has been brodening of late, but still there are some things that I find horrid. Such as tomatoes and pickles.

Oddly, I love everything flavor-wise about tomato based products. I love ketchup and I make a mean red sauce from scratch Wink

The article did not advocate medication as a cure-all. It quoted one doctor as saying "some may benefit from treatment such as anti-depressants". However, the same doctor then advocated exposure therapy in considerable detail.

Ketchup does not taste like tomatoes.

I think a large part of picky eaters begins with their childhoods. In my family, we never taught our kids that there is such a thing as "kids food" and "grownup food". We all eat the same food for dinner. My kids have fought over green beans to the point of tears.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

The article did not advocate medication as a cure-all. It quoted one doctor as saying "some may benefit from treatment such as anti-depressants".
Sorry, you are correct. I was simply saying that wnenever I read anything psychological, the medications always come up. It was more exasperation than stating that was in the article. My apologies.

Ketchup does not taste like tomatoes
Thank God, or my hot dogs would taste rather bland.

I think a large part of picky eaters begins with their childhoods. In my family, we never taught our kids that there is such a thing as "kids food" and "grownup food". We all eat the same food for dinner
Same in my fam. I dont cook different dinners and I wont allow it when my boy does not like what is for dinner. Either he eats, or goes to bed hungry.

My kids have fought over green beans to the point of tears
You are truly blessed.  laugh

PP

Gregory the Great

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

Sorry, you are correct. I was simply saying that wnenever I read anything psychological, the medications always come up. It was more exasperation than stating that was in the article. My apologies.

No apologies are necessary. The reason that medication often comes up is because the mind is an effect of the brain. Therefore, if one wishes to alter the functions of the mind, altering the brain can be an effective way to go about it.

Thank God, or my hot dogs would taste rather bland.

Ketchup prevents you from tasting your hot dog at all. The sweetness of its sugar combined with the sour vinegar chemically shorts your taste buds. This is why ketchup is oft used by parents to get their kids to eat anything. I recommend mustard and other topping for hot dogs.

Same in my fam. I dont cook different dinners and I wont allow it when my boy does not like what is for dinner. Either he eats, or goes to bed hungry.

Well, there is always ketchup, right?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #249 on: March 08, 2012, 12:11:52 PM »

No apologies are necessary. The reason that medication often comes up is because the mind is an effect of the brain. Therefore, if one wishes to alter the functions of the mind, altering the brain can be an effective way to go about it
I just get sick of hearing drugs drugs drugs all the time.

Ketchup prevents you from tasting your hot dog at all. The sweetness of its sugar combined with the sour vinegar chemically shorts your taste buds. This is why ketchup is oft used by parents to get their kids to eat anything. I recommend mustard and other topping for hot dogs
Bleh...dont like mustard. Now hot sauce.....

Well, there is always ketchup, right?
ketchup and cauliflower go together like dinosaurs and chap-stik.

PP

Gregory the Great

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #250 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »

I just get sick of hearing drugs drugs drugs all the time.

I am sorry you are sick of hearing about it, but to the extent the human body is a biochemical organism, chemicals can effect its function. That includes the function of the brain. I would certainly agree that, if possible, it is preferable to treat conditions like Type II diabetes with diet and exercise rather than drugs. That is not because drugs are bad, but because that would be of general benefit to the patient as a whole. However, something like paranoid schizophrenia cannot be treated by simply talking about one's feelings.

To use an example closer to home, my five-year-old niece has severe epilepsy (among other problems) and just came out of surgery within the last hour after having a pacemaker-type device placed in her chest and electrodes implanted and connected to her vagus (a nerve in the brainstem) in hopes of reducing her seizures. So yes, sometimes medicine is the answer.

Sorry to get off-topic.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »

Well, thank you for your honesty.  Smiley

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »

Well, as long as we can beat the system through reverse-pharisaic application, I'm down!

Right...

I find these distinctions and definitions ridiculous, but at the same time I should admit that I regularly don't properly fast, in that my portion control is horrible. For anyone who has tried to explain Orthodox "fasting" to a Muslim though, it becomes embarrassingly unimpressive and superficial if we include all of the loopholes.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »

Well, as long as we can beat the system through reverse-pharisaic application, I'm down!

Right...

I find these distinctions and definitions ridiculous, but at the same time I should admit that I regularly don't properly fast, in that my portion control is horrible. For anyone who has tried to explain Orthodox "fasting" to a Muslim though, it becomes embarrassingly unimpressive and superficial if we include all of the loopholes.

I don't know.  I think I probably could do the moslem fast, especially Nativity since sundown comes so early.  Don't eat all day and gorge when the sun goes down.  And eat whatever you want on top of it.  During the fast I usually just eat two meals anyway. 

Personally, I consider most of it to be Phaisaic.  Fasting should be done in secret with a good countenance, not announcing every time you go out to eat with someone that you can't eat X because the fast doesn't allow for it.  Last week my roommate made some lasagna for dinner and said "hey, I even made it without meat so you can have some too!"  What do you say at that point?  When an atheist goes out of his way to account for part of a religion he doesn't even believe, I think that gives more glory to God than it would to smear your face with ash (figuratively speaking) and not eat.  I told him afterwards that cheese isn't allowed either but said that I wasn't fasting that week, then kept it thereafter. 

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »

I don't know.  I think I probably could do the moslem fast, especially Nativity since sundown comes so early.  Don't eat all day and gorge when the sun goes down.  And eat whatever you want on top of it.  During the fast I usually just eat two meals anyway.

The slack Muslims definitely give us a run for the money on hypocritical fasting.  Others? Not so much.  Many regard it as a transfiguring experience that brings them closer to God. 

Personally, I consider most of it to be Phaisaic.
It definitely has the potential to be (and frequently is).  There's clearly a reason why the Church deems it important though.  Much like going through the motions in prayer, if we simply abstain from some types of foods, it's not particularly helpful.  But fasting is an accepted and important part of Church praxis.  She believes that something is to be gained from sacrifice, experiencing hunger and thirst, while further modifying our behaviors.  Rules and guidelines are not, in themselves, Pharisaic.

Fasting should be done in secret with a good countenance, not announcing every time you go out to eat with someone that you can't eat X because the fast doesn't allow for it.  Last week my roommate made some lasagna for dinner and said "hey, I even made it without meat so you can have some too!"  What do you say at that point?  When an atheist goes out of his way to account for part of a religion he doesn't even believe, I think that gives more glory to God than it would to smear your face with ash (figuratively speaking) and not eat.  I told him afterwards that cheese isn't allowed either but said that I wasn't fasting that week, then kept it thereafter.

Right, but fasting should nevertheless be done. As to your example: absolutely.  I do and would've done the same thing. 
I'm pretty bad at this whole thing, as I fluctuate between being overly stringent and overly lax, rarely finding the optimal place.  Then again, if people are comfortable and not struggling during Lent, I wonder what they're doing.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »

For anyone who has tried to explain Orthodox "fasting" to a Muslim though, it becomes embarrassingly unimpressive and superficial if we include all of the loopholes.
Muslims had/have their own loopholes. Hindus have boatloads.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:55:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »

For anyone who has tried to explain Orthodox "fasting" to a Muslim though, it becomes embarrassingly unimpressive and superficial if we include all of the loopholes.
Muslims had/have their own loopholes. Hindus have boatloads.

That may be, but I was pretty surprised when I learned that Orthodox "fasting" is "hey, we can have fish today". My idea of fasting is water fasting, which I do as a matter of health practice a few days a week. What Orthodox call "fasting" is what I call "abstinence".
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Not to respond to any one point:

In Athens the high is 18 C and the low is 11 C.  In central Ukraine it is -4 C / -11 C.   It is a no brainer that fasting in a Mediterranean climate is going to be different than in the northern lands inhabited by millions of Orthodox.  I spend a lot of my day outside and do a lot of walking - simply existing burns a ton of calories.  Not a whole lot of people fast for lent, but it also isn't completely out of the ordinary.  For instance a number of restaurants will put fasting items on their menu during Lent.  IME Lent is the only fast lay people regularly keep.  Advent is less frequently encountered.  The weekly Wednesday / Friday fasts are basically never heard of.  Fish is pretty commonly considered lenten here; some of the supermarkets even run sales on fish advertising them as lenten. 

As for hatred of vegetables, I'm in shock.  First off get decent veggies.  I love steaming things.  They taste better and don't loose as many vitamins.  Also do forget to salt things.  If you eat a lot of processed foods everything is salted in the extreme, so if that is what you palette is used to put some salt on (and put good salt like sea salt or kosher salt).  You can make completely vegan lentil soups thats are great.  Google lentil soup recipes and a million will come up.  I love beets.  Boil them, shred them and either put a bit of oil or sour cream over them. 

I agree with what others have said - much of the Orthodox fasting is complete nonsense and pious showboating. 
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »

As for hatred of vegetables, I'm in shock.  First off get decent veggies.  I love steaming things.  They taste better and don't loose as many vitamins.  Also do forget to salt things.  If you eat a lot of processed foods everything is salted in the extreme, so if that is what you palette is used to put some salt on (and put good salt like sea salt or kosher salt).  You can make completely vegan lentil soups thats are great.  Google lentil soup recipes and a million will come up.  I love beets.  Boil them, shred them and either put a bit of oil or sour cream over them. 

I agree with what others have said - much of the Orthodox fasting is complete nonsense and pious showboating. 

I agree with all of this. If you like, please go earlier in this thread to see a very good recipe for a vegan lentil soup.

I also agree on salt. I use kosher salt as my every day salt. Iodized salt has a bit of an off taste to me.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

That may be, but I was pretty surprised when I learned that Orthodox "fasting" is "hey, we can have fish today". My idea of fasting is water fasting, which I do as a matter of health practice a few days a week. What Orthodox call "fasting" is what I call "abstinence".

The simple fact is that the vast majority of Orthodox, including nearly all of those who stress the importance of fasting, just don't fast - other than in the morning prior to Holy Communion. When the canons or the Fathers speak of fasting, it means no food or drink for a certain time (typically until the 9th Hour - 3pm). Abstaining from animal products, wine and oil is a supplement.

Of course, there are many times of the year when abstinence is prescribed, but fasting is not. On every Saturday and Sunday of Lent, for example, abstinence from animal products is prescribed, while fasting is prohibited by the canons.

Generally speaking, on days when oil or wine and not permitted, a total fast should be kept until the 9th Hour, after which a single vegan meal may be eaten. On days when oil and wine are permitted, animal products are a no no, but you can eat at any time of the day.

So yes, what most Orthodox call fasting is mere abstinence from animal products. Traditionally, however, the Orthodox Church prescribes a rather severe form of fasting that would make Ramadan seem rather trivial by comparison.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

So yes, what most Orthodox call fasting is mere abstinence from animal products. Traditionally, however, the Orthodox Church prescribes a rather severe form of fasting that would make Ramadan seem rather trivial by comparison.

Ramadan fasting is no food, drink, smoking, or sex during daylight. One has to be pretty far from the equator at the right time of year for sunset to be before the ninth hour. (although I concede that there is feasting in the evening) What is the traditional Orthodox fasting practice that makes Ramadan look trivial?

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »

so far i have "cooked" guacamole and pineapple cornbread for lent... Smiley
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »

Ramadan fasting is no food, drink, smoking, or sex during daylight. One has to be pretty far from the equator at the right time of year for sunset to be before the ninth hour. (although I concede that there is feasting in the evening) What is the traditional Orthodox fasting practice that makes Ramadan look trivial?

I could and have gone without food all day before, just make sure there's a cheeseburger waiting for me at the end.  The no drinking would be the real hard part.  Dehydration sucks.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »

Sex every night after sundown vs. no sex for 6 weeks (how many working couples have time to have sex during the day anyways?)

Meat, dairy, eggs, oil every night after sundown vs. no meat, dairy, eggs, oil (i.e. only raw, boiled or steamed foods) for 6 weeks.

Eating in the morning before dawn vs. no food since the previous evening.

Then you have days where you don't eat at all. During the first week of Lent, for example, a total fast is kept from Monday until the Liturgy of the Presanctified on Wednesday evening. Almost three days with no food or drink.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »

Out of curiousity, how many of you here have specialized fasting rules? My Priest really personalized mine for a couple reasons. The first and more important one is that I am prone to chronic migraines that can last two days and one of my triggers is not eating, and the second is that I'm a minor living in an un-Orthodox household. My fasting rules are basically to not eat anything between meals and when eating a meal, to only eat the bare minimum I need to get full, but no seconds.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »

Out of curiousity, how many of you here have specialized fasting rules?

Given the severity of the Orthodox fasting rules when applied strictly, I would guess that probably almost every poster here has specialized fasting rules, even if they have not been given a specific set of guidelines by their priest.

I remember an Ethiopian woman looking at me with horror and saying "I thought you said you were Orthodox?" when she saw me drink a glass of water before 3pm on a Friday (it was 30C outside). I hate to think what would have happened if she'd seen me eating something. Exceptions like her aside, though, I don't think you'd find many people who didn't in some way bend the rules to account for health, climate, physical work, or simply just lack of willpower.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:30:38 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #266 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »

Here's what I had for lunch today.  Mmm, tasty...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »

Earlier I had a tray of fast food french fries. Unfortunately they weren't from a fast food joint, they're just called that. I'm still hungry though so I'm having a bowl of tootie frooties, with some diet sunkist. Oh yeah! Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

Here's what I had for lunch today.  Mmm, tasty...
Ok so I assume a woman who can cook is at the top of your list when doing online dating searches right?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

Out of curiousity, how many of you here have specialized fasting rules? My Priest really personalized mine for a couple reasons. The first and more important one is that I am prone to chronic migraines that can last two days and one of my triggers is not eating, and the second is that I'm a minor living in an un-Orthodox household. My fasting rules are basically to not eat anything between meals and when eating a meal, to only eat the bare minimum I need to get full, but no seconds.

I try not to go longer than 12 hours without food. And I don't drink my carbs if I can help it. And I don't scarf down too many pizzas. Usually. All that has more to do with my diabetes though.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: